Author Topic: HIRE WEDGE TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES!  (Read 57826 times)

Wedge

HIRE WEDGE TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES!
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
I have been inspired to paint Warzone and Chronopia miniatures for a small fee.  I will be taking offers starting today.  I will only be producing a certain amount of miniatures per month.  SO, if there is enough interest I will have to make a priority list on a first come first serve basis.

Keep in mind this will not be a lightning fast painting service.  I will garuantee the same quality I would give my own miniatures so that might take some time.

I will have to come up with a reasonable fee schedule.  I don't want to undersell or oversell myself.  I was hoping you guys could help me come up with an idea for a reasonable price.

I made this thread sticky, so feel free to post your requests here.  As I complete a job I will delete the post and start the next one.  That way it will be easy for everyone to see where they stand in line (if there is a line  ;) )

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:40:04 PM by Wedge »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: HIRE WEDGE TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »
A friend of mine would charge double the price of the miniature, that way if he liked it he'd keep it and do up another for the client.  That may be a tad bit out of your league depending on the figure.  I'd say post some of your better work and offer a set rate based on the level the buyer wants painted to.  Remember, you will have expenses of your own such as brushes and paint so take that into consideration ($1-2 per grunt for table top quality-higher for characters and better paint or basing jobs).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
Wedge -

We will talk about the Cyber force that needs to be matched to your excellent figs I got from you long ago.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
Do you do space ships? I tried painting the ships for silent death and I hated the results. Ill even let you have free reign on the design. Ill include the fluff from the book for the faction the rep IF you are willing to do them.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
Wedge,

A thought for you.   I'd say charge on figures based on a three tiered schema.

Tier 1 (Tabletop Mass) - $2 per fig.   Figs will be basecoated with primer, then the predominate color.   3 - 4 additional colors and one wash coat will be used to paint all major details.   One coat of clear matte applied.  Custumer to apply additional coats if desired.  $20 to get a full squad table ready with minimum of fuss and muss.  You should be able to do 3 - 5 figs per hour, assemblyline style. 

Tier 2 - $4 per fig (Elite Units).   Figs will be primed, then individual colors applied.  4 - 6 colors on average.  Possible multiple washes and drybrushing included.  One clearcoat applied. These units will be the flashy ones on the table.  $40 for a really nice looking squad. You can probably do 2 per hour at this tier. 

Tier 3 - Commission artpiece (Individuals and special figures) - $8 per fig.   Fig will be primed, lovingly painted with all the heart and soul the painter knows how to give.  Two gloss coats and one matte coat applied.  Dr. Diana or Valerie Duval never looked so sexxy.  Dammmmm  Sexxy!  Painting time is going to be dependent on the fig, and how far you want to go with detail.   

Treat rider and mount on cav figs as seperate figures.   Add $5 to Tier price for small vehicles.  Flocking available for an additional $1 per fig.   Extra clearcoat above Tier pricing, add .50 per coat.   

...and charge Philly 1 MEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN dollars for his ships!   (Or, $4 apiece for basecoat, wash, drybrush and then some detailed color applied strategically.)  I have not painted spaceships before, but based on a few games of Silent Death, I think you can crank out two ships in about an hour, and they will look 10 times better than bare pewter. 

Feel free to adjust up or down depending on your actual time on target, and what you feel comfortable with.   Long and short of it, you should be fairly compensated for skilled work.   Don't be afraid to ask for fees that will allow you to make a decent wage for your labor. 

Good luck with it, and I wish you best success.   
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
I would definitely be interested, Wedge, and could keep you regularly employed for the next 20 years. :D

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 06:08:54 PM »
madbrads pricing suggestion seems fair to me

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
I agree. We need to hear what you think Troy so I can start shipping figs your way.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »
Wedge,

Here is a link to Starmada on Boardgamegeek.com .   Scroll down the page to the image gallery.  There are some nice looking ships, and I think they'd be good models for a possible paint job.   I'd guess about an hour to fully paint a pair of ships to the standards of some of those ships.   

Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Wedge

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »
All,

Thank you for your interest.  I am flattered that you would like me to paint for you.  I will endeavor to paint as many minis as I can without overtaxing myself.  Having said that.  I am in negotiation right now with Topkick and a deal to paint for him.  I will take on this job during the month of August.  I want to guage that workload to determine how much I can ACTUALLY handle in one month.

Having said that.  I suggest signing up to get in line so that I can plan out my jobs for the next few months and arrangements can be made to ship miniatures etc.

Topkick is first.  He is sending me about 10-14 miniatures (I assume 2 squads of Cybertronic).  If I finish them early and feel I can take on more I will take the next job on the list.

Here is the list so far:

1.  Topkick (Cybertronic 10-14 miniatures)
2.  ?

Start signing up... first come first served.  ;D

Wedge

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »
This works out Nick since PhillySniper has asked me to take on a project as well.

So far...

1. Topkick (August)
2. PhillySniper (September)
3. NoTrollNick (October)

If I find that I can take on more than one project per month, I will let you all know.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
Consider me next on the list. That way if my soon to be ex-wife gets them, at least they'll be pretty..... :(

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Wedge

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 09:33:44 AM »
Consider me next on the list. That way if my soon to be ex-wife gets them, at least they'll be pretty..... :(

SP

Ouch, Sorry to hear that Jason.  I hope it ends up amicable.   :(

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »

SP

Wooohooo more gaming time!!!  ;)

Thats stinks.. but I hope it goes as smooth a spossible.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »
i have one more pun   :) :)

why on earth would you separate from a wife that may want WZ-figs in her share?

but really, i wish you a positive mind, then you will shurely attract another!

just donīt start to think that you wonīt find one anymore!
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."