Author Topic: Gaelcon 2005 report  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Freak2

• Journeyman
Gaelcon 2005 report
« on: November 13, 2005, 02:20:59 PM »
Apologies for not posting this sooner but the last couple of weeks I've had other things to deal with, just a quick report on Gaelcon 2005.

In an effort to get some new players interested in Warzone I spent most of the weekend doing participation/demos of the Zombie introduction game listed in the Core Rules. Interested parties where given control of a couple of Capitol Assault Marines while I controlled the Zombie horde, the landing pad for the copter was located on the top of some multi-level platform scenery I'd bought and thought would add an interesting dimension to things (and I was right).

Over the course of the weekend about a dozen people gave it a go and all seemed to enjoy it with most grabbing a business card or two and letting me drone on about how good the game is, the fact that none walked off mid-speech or fell asleep I take as a good sign. The best was the assurance of one welsh player that he was going to try and locate a few others in his local group and start playing it again (he'd thought it was dead and buried after 2nd Ed collapsed, guys we have GOT to do something to quash these rumours).

Also got a boost from the appearance of Brian McNaughton and Stuart Lee, two of the persons who had worked on art and figure painting under Target and who where interested in seeing what the new version was like (they liked). Also after talking to a couple of the committee members for the Dominicon convention, I'll be putting on the demo again out in University College Maynooth next weekend to drum up yet more players.

Finally, the limited edition Mitch Hunter figure, with unit card signed by Thom himself and Warzone display stand where submitted to the charity auction and raised €200 (that's about $240-$250 dollars). The remaining figures that the Excelsior crew where good enough to provide I've decided to delay handing out until the Leprecon convention in Febuary where I hope to run a full tournament.

While Leprecon isn't one of the biggest conventions here in Ireland it does sport a decent sized convention hall in Trinity College here in Dublin that means we have enough space to put together some decent fights. I'm hoping that between Gaelcon just gone, Dominicon next week and Warpcon in Cork in January, I will have gotten enough newbies (or old hacks who don't realise the game is being played again) to get a decent amount for a good multi-round tournament. (Any of you foreign boys that have nothing else to do in febuary and feel like dropping by, you're more then welcome, please). anyone who wants additional info just PM me or stick a post here, I'll help as much as I can.

Freak2

Big_ED

Re: Gaelcon 2005 report
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:51:15 AM »
Some pics from the event its self.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
The copter was a nice touch.  What did you use?
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:45 AM »
Looks a little like a GI Joe toy from the picture.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:09:32 AM »
It doesn't look like any official GI Joe vehicle I know... but it does look really cool. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »
Showing my age - I'm talking about the Joe toys from the eighties....when I was only in my mid to late 20's
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »
those were some of the best toys EVER.  I wish I still had mine. :(
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 09:59:59 PM »
[I know I've played wargames too long when I say things like...]

So do I-some of those would make great conversions.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »
heck yeah!

the Terrordrome, or the shuttle platform would be awesome, or this:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/88/rollingthunder/

the Rolling Thunder is a HUGE missle platform, with gun emplacements and all sorts of fiddly bits.  PERFECT for an objective based senario.

If I had a bunch of GI Joes lying around, I'd put 'em on their foot stands, and just use the UWZ rules for a game...

... hhhmmmmm..... I think I have an idea for a con.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
GI JOE toys I've convered (i.e. painted) for scenery so far:
The bridge (bridgelayer)
Gun emplacement (no idea, it was GI JOE though-came out perfect)
Missile Launcher from Wolverine (great missile emplacement)
the same store I got these from had an old Headquarters that I should have bought but never got around to.  I still kick myself occasionally.