Author Topic: transformers movie  (Read 14072 times)

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
transformers movie
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:33:33 PM »
anyone see it? is it any good?

Offline pinksuezo

Re: transformers movie
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:35:43 AM »
yep.  just dont be expecting any oscar winning dramatic performances. 
its not like anyone going to see it wants to see anything other than really big robots blow stuff up. and they blow it up sweeeeet. 
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Iron Panda

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:54:20 AM »
Cool!

When I first heard rumors of the movie coming out, I was expecting it to be an animated flick in the same vein as the 80's movie.  But when I've learned it was live-action, I had second thoughts about it and made up my mind  that it would suck.  After reading the reviews and looking at the trailers, I guess they've done a good job with it, well, as movies in this genre goes. ;D

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
I saw the film last night and in my opinion it was "less than meets the eye."

Sure its visually pretty, and they got the right voice actor to play prime, but thats about where the good things end.  The movie was in desperate need of exposition, the audience needed a reason to invest themselves in the story, or at least a way to understand some of what was going on.  What little explaination there is came an hour too late and was done away with in a simple undisguiesed 30 second plot dump from prime.  The characters felt rushed and underdeveloped, only bumblebee gets any sense of personality.  The B plot, which took place inside the department of defense, seemed unnecessary, and only seemed to fullfil Micheal Bay's fetish for control rooms in his movies (Badboys, The Rock, Armageddon).  The MacGuffin that sets the plot in motion, isn't given any development and is consitantly refered to by several different names, which might cause confusion in some audience members.  The dialog is all cliche one liners and relies heavily on evoking cheap laughs or canned heat from the audience, and the use of slapstick and farce was far too prominant for my tastes (for example bumblebee urinating on an offensive government agent).

The film took a great deal of liberties from the original source material, however that could have been forgiven, if the films writers and directors had taken the time to craft a decent piece of cinema, rather than cashing in on a pre-existing market base of twenty-somethings who grew up on a steady diet of Energon Cubes.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 02:17:50 AM »
nice insight.

i wanted to see it also because of the robots, but maybe not..

many other movies out.. i just saw die hard 4.0   (i guess itīs pritty old in usa..?)

+1
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Iron Panda

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »
Gallagher's spot on. 

However, I expected as much and went to see it knowing its going to be all flash and eye candy.

I wasn't dissapointed with the movie, nevertheless.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:55:51 AM »
Well, I didn't feel gyped paying 9 bucks to see it, so I guess that's a good vote.

All in all, it was a good summer flick.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Wedge

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »
I thought it was entertaining.  I didn't go in with high expectations, but I actually enjoyed it.  If memory serves me... wasn't megatron supposed to transform into a giant gun and not a trciked out fighter plane?

I particularly like the fight between Bonecrusher and Prime... it made travelling on the interstate very scarey that day!   :o

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:46 AM »
I thought it was entertaining. I didn't go in with high expectations, but I actually enjoyed it. If memory serves me... wasn't megatron supposed to transform into a giant gun and not a trciked out fighter plane?

I particularly like the fight between Bonecrusher and Prime... it made travelling on the interstate very scarey that day! :o

Megatron was supposed to be the "Ultimate hand-cannon".  I wonder why they changed him?  I only remember the early years of Transformers.  Did they change things later on?
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:50:36 PM »
Regarding Megatron,  in the original series he transformed into a handgun modeled after the Walther P38, however in the film in 1986 he was remodeled as Galvatron, who transformed into a Cannon.  The release of the Gen 2 transformers toy line Megatron was again envisioned, this time as an Abrams Tank.  He continued to be modeled as various tanks and cars until 1997's Machine Wars line where he was modeled as jet.  In 2006 the Transformers Classics line again released a Gun Form megatron, however rather than being modeled on the Walther P38 as was the original megatron his gun form resemble a toy nerf blaster, appearnetly this was done to conform to US laws regarding the appearance of toy guns.

Offline pinksuezo

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
Regarding Megatron,  in the original series he transformed into a handgun modeled after the Walther P38, however in the film in 1986 he was remodeled as Galvatron, who transformed into a Cannon.  The release of the Gen 2 transformers toy line Megatron was again envisioned, this time as an Abrams Tank.  He continued to be modeled as various tanks and cars until 1997's Machine Wars line where he was modeled as jet.  In 2006 the Transformers Classics line again released a Gun Form megatron, however rather than being modeled on the Walther P38 as was the original megatron his gun form resemble a toy nerf blaster, appearnetly this was done to conform to US laws regarding the appearance of toy guns.

wow
REPORT HERESY. IT'S YOUR DUTY.

In Nomine Cardinalis

Iron Panda

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »
Wasn't Galvatron Megatron's rival on Cybertron?

I remember in one of the episodes on the tv show that both were having some sort of power struggle.

wow

I second that, btw!  :o 8)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
Regarding Megatron, in the original series he transformed into a handgun modeled after the Walther P38, however in the film in 1986 he was remodeled as Galvatron, who transformed into a Cannon.  The release of the Gen 2 transformers toy line Megatron was again envisioned, this time as an Abrams Tank.  He continued to be modeled as various tanks and cars until 1997's Machine Wars line where he was modeled as jet.  In 2006 the Transformers Classics line again released a Gun Form megatron, however rather than being modeled on the Walther P38 as was the original megatron his gun form resemble a toy nerf blaster, appearnetly this was done to conform to US laws regarding the appearance of toy guns.

Thanks for the info.  Thats just crazy.  
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
Wasn't Galvatron Megatron's rival on Cybertron?

I remember in one of the episodes on the tv show that both were having some sort of power struggle.

wow

I second that, btw!  :o 8)

The story behind Galvatron goes like this, After an attack on Autobot city on earth during which Megatron mortally wounds Optimus Prime, the deceptacons are fleeing earth aboard Skytrain (a transformer who turns into, among other things, a space shuttle).  Skytrain informs them that due to his injuries in the battle they have to dump some weight or they won't make it back to Cybertron.  Starscream, Megatron's traitorous lieutenant recommends survival of the fittest and throws a wounded Megatron and several other injured deceptacons out the airlock where they drift in space for a long time until encountering Unicron (Voice acting talent provided by Orson Wells in the final film role of his life).  Unicron, a gaint planet eating transformer pulls a space age Davey Jones "Do you Fear Death?" on Megatron and his drifting cronies, and revitalizes them with his own energy transforming megatron into Galvatron, and forcing Galvatron (Voiced by Leonard Nemoy) to serve Unicron's interests.

After some other intersting antics, featuring the Junkicons including Wreckcar voiced by none other than Eric Idle, Unicron eventually comes to devour Cybertron and during the battle Hot Rod recieves the Autobot Matrix of Leadership from Ultra Magnus, who took it from Prime with the dying instruction to "open it in our darkest hour" Hot Rod opens the Matrix Unicron is defeated an everbody goes home happy.

Iron Panda

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

That's an awesome rundown, Gallagher.  Man, I missed that movie and all those memories are coming back.

Karma points for you, my man!