Author Topic: Fishtown Campaign!!  (Read 5743 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Fishtown Campaign!!
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
I've had preliminary discussions with Bryon Grey regarding a Chronopia campaign at my place, over a period of time, with several players.  We're thinking of using the campaign rules in the book, and maybe a grid based map with terrain and objectives on it to set it down on.

Has anyone got any suggestions from experience on running campaign play?

Has anyone got ideas even if they haven't run one?

For players, we're looking to get: Myself, Bryon "Phillysniper" Grey, Bill Meredith, Dalton Pownell, Jeff "Dodger" Dodge, hopefully John "Archer" Tinney, maybe Dave McGee (we'll travel to your place, dude), and anyone else willing to make the trip to my place on an occasional weeknight or weekend.  For those having to travel, like Phil Sperry, or the Maplewood crew, I'm going to set up days where you would get two or even three games in, to minimize the running around.  I'll be sending pm's, making phone calls, etc.

Holler back if your interested.  Details to follow.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Fishtown Campaign!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »
Is this going to be a strictly Storyline Campaign -- no points keeping or winner or a League where the top point getters end up in a League Tournament? That will make a large difference as to how to proceed.

Storyline Campaigns need a progeressive storyline. See the Maplewood Hobby thread for an example. The Maplewood crew did nothing but write cool scenarios and play them out. These are fun but usually end up having a few armies in each battle so the people have to play an army they might not be interested in. The good point is that if someone doesn't show up one week it will not cripple the game for the week  -- unless they are the owner of one of the two or three armies being used that game.

Leagues are fun but a very different animal than a campaign. In leagues the main focus is on winning in order to advance to the end of league tournament. GW actually came up woth a nice compromise with the Arbitrator Campaign. If you aren't familiar with those rules I suggest you look for them on line or in a Necromunda book. If all else fails PM me -- I got them in one of my Necromunda piles.  ;) The biggest problem with a league is that unless everyone lives close some people tend to get more play time than others as the locations of league members is not always evenly dispersed. It doesn't take long to fall off the pace if you miss a league day and do not have local opponents.

If I was unclear on something or if you have any questions give me a shout out. Good luck with it and good gaming. I have notes on a Storyline Campaign I was going to run if you need some ideas for a jumping off point and/or hooks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:15:41 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:17:43 PM »
In the end it depends on how big you want the campaign to be.

Will you only want to play some games with units getting better and better from game to game or when using a map include economy (to buy new troops etc.)? There are millions of things you can include, but it will get more complex with every dimension you add.

For a start you could think about the dimension of armies you want to use...i would think of 20.000 points of troops, this way you can have more than 3 games and still have some reinforcements if you lose to much.

If you want to use the chronopia map, you should think about, how long an army has to move from one square to another square in the map. Will one won game win you the square? with every step you come close to a capital it should take more games to hold the terrain...what will you get by owning terrain?

As I said, there are millions of things around to be included  ;)

Perhaps you could outline your basic ideas...I will gladly help you with some ideas etc.

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »
Thanks all.  I will post more on the forum after the holiday.  Hal, as always, you're rock steady.  I'll call you after the holiday, and will work this out here as well.  Thanks again.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA