Author Topic: SNES-PC Project  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Glenn M

SNES-PC Project
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
I have been building a new PC over the past few months.  I am putting a whole PC into an SNES and will be using it as a Media Center/Old School game console.  It is a 1.5 ghz VIA, with 512 ram, onboard video and sound, four frontal USB 2.0 ports (inside the controller ports).  Currently the power button works as it should, the reset button hasn't been set up yet though.  All I need to do is finish the controller ports, install a couple fans, and then clean up and paint, and it'll be all done.
Overall it has been a fun little project, though far from finished, here are a few pictures of the system to date. 

Later,
Glenn

Iron Panda

Re: SNES-PC Project
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
That's awesome! 

I don't know, for me, newer games are more about flash, eye candy, and tons of PC upgrades to play them as a result.  They are missing something and lack substance as compared to old games.

Good job!

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments, and I agree whole heartidly.

Here is an almost done shot, you can see that it is now a nice shiny black, though I need to drop a second coat on still.

I have been having some trouble getting the Eject button cut properly, so it is not in yet, but will be soon.  I have also been having issues getting the controller ports mounted, so I am looking into new ways to do so as well.  But, for the most part it is done, just need to iron out some details. 

Iron Panda

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
Curious,

Does it play vintage PC games exclusively or can it run a whole gamut of console games as well?

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:42:15 PM »
It is designed to be a old school game console, playing everything from early Atari to N64 games.  I haven't had a chance to test any of my PSX games yet though.  I have a few controller adapters for running console controllers on it, but I need to get an N64 adapter and SNES to make it about all I want.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:45:24 AM »
Thats really cool Glenn.  Good luck with the project.  I think the newest games I have are older PC games.  I still occasionally play DiabloII, and still love Stronghold Crusader.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:58:55 AM »
Thanks!

Unfortunately I have run into a major financial issue and am currently selling this, if you want it, PM me.  I don't want to take it to eBay though, as I may not even break even.  Partially because I can't ship it with a hard drvie, and it isn't done, the back can't be finished until the innards are all done.