Author Topic: Possession and summoned creatures...  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
Possession and summoned creatures...
« on: October 31, 2005, 07:22:30 AM »
Hi out there,

I have a question regarding the devout possession spell and it's use against summoned units.

When I use the spell against, lets say, an Adamantite Golem, who will roll the saving roll? Will it be the Golem himself or the Lotus Eater controlling the Golem? As by the rules I would say the Golem but I think it should be a matter for the Lotus Eater.

What happens when possession ends? Will the Lotus Eater regain controll of the Golem or will the Golem be out of control?

greetz,

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Possession and summoned creatures...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 07:46:29 AM »
I'm interested in the answer to this question because I am currently playing OS Elves and starting to paint my Devout.  Are summoned creatures like the Golem mindless and immune to effects like possession?  I don't have the book at hand, but I seem to remember something like this in the classification section in the book.  Good question Anomander; let's see if somebody can resolve it. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 09:53:21 AM »
Well the desription for Possession says any unactivated enemy model so going by that I'd say yes. There is no mindless category of creatures. Undeads are pretty mindless but there is nothing forbidding them from being the target of Possession.

There is another question though. Can you Possess a Golem when the LE controlling it hasn't activated yet this turn?
I'd answer a no on that one.

/Andreas

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:21:48 AM »
Well the desription for Possession says any unactivated enemy model so going by that I'd say yes. There is no mindless category of creatures. Undeads are pretty mindless but there is nothing forbidding them from being the target of Possession.

There is another question though. Can you Possess a Golem when the LE controlling it hasn't activated yet this turn?
I'd answer a no on that one.

/Andreas

If you did possess the Golem, it would be just like activating the Golem to go first. Once activated, it would Rampage for the current turn, then revert back to the LE's control at the end of it's activation.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »
I could live with that as well. I'd rather try to Possess it after the LE has activated though to gain full control.  :)

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »
If you did possess the Golem, it would be just like activating the Golem to go first. Once activated, it would Rampage for the current turn, then revert back to the LE's control at the end of it's activation.

Just to have this clear, the spell possession will bring the Golem under control of the Warped Lord. Why should he rampage during that turn? And why should he revert back to the LE's control? I think to controll a summoned unit you have to spend an action to do so, and the summoned/controlled unit has to be activated after the LE, right? By using possession you will get the Golem for one turn and after that the Golem will rampage cause he is no longer controlled or am I wrong?

I could live with that as well. I'd rather try to Possess it after the LE has activated though to gain full control. :)

Perhaps I don't see the wood for the trees, but how should this work? You can only possess unactivated units...or is this just some kind of joke?  ;)

So far my initial questions havn't been answered...who will roll for the possession save? and what happens after possession ends...

thanks for any insights,

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 07:52:30 AM »
Sorry Marcel,

Forgot about that part of the question. The Golem would roll the save not the LE.

Perhaps I don't see the wood for the trees, but how should this work? You can only possess unactivated units...or is this just some kind of joke?
Maybe I was a bit unclear in my answer. I'll try again. :)
If you Possess the Golem when the LE has not activated yet the Golem will rampage (the LE who is the summoner haven't spent an Action). However if the LE has activated and spent an Action to control the Golem you can then try to cast Possession on it before the Elf player activates it. If you do it then you will be able to use it normally without having it go on a Rampage.

/Andreas

Offline Anomander_Rake

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 10:15:50 AM »
Maybe I was a bit unclear in my answer. I'll try again. :)
If you Possess the Golem when the LE has not activated yet the Golem will rampage (the LE who is the summoner haven't spent an Action). However if the LE has activated and spent an Action to control the Golem you can then try to cast Possession on it before the Elf player activates it. If you do it then you will be able to use it normally without having it go on a Rampage.

OK, thanks for answering that question. Since I've lost my book, I've to count on my memory only...

greetz,

Marcel