Author Topic: Vermin APC  (Read 10496 times)

Offline Firefly

Vermin APC
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »
Well I have finally gotten around to posting some pictures of my Vermin APC.  As I mentioned in the previous forum’s discussion about an appropriate model kit I used Heller’s 1/35 VAB 6x6.  The kit was a breeze to assemble.  I opted to glue the doors shut and paint over the clear plastic windows so I had a number of pieces left over from the interior.  I used these pieces to add some details to the roof and sides.  The Charger HMG replaced the .50 Cal HMG that comes with the kit.

Comments are welcome.

Top View

Right Side View

Left Side View

Back View

Front View

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Vermin APC
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »
shh  ya oughn't show nice lookin pics like that around, you'll make someoe at Armorcast very unhappy. That model fits perfectly!  I approve.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem præparet bellum

Offline Dentatus

• Glass Graphics Studio
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
Nice work. Funny, I just picked up one of those in 1/48th die-cast.

Offline Pietia

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 11:55:25 AM »
Very nice.

Offline Firefly

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:26:55 PM »
Thanks guys, sadly I've had it done for months now.  Just haven't gotten around to taking & posting pictures.   ::)  I'm still curious to see what Armorcast comes up with for their Vermin.

One thing I would have liked to do with the kit is make the HMG into a turret, possibly in the hull... similar to the APC in Aliens.  Didn't have the time or patience to do it myself though.  I was actually a little afraid if I made a turret on the existing kit the model would have a really high profile, not a good thing for a troop transport.

Dentatus, who made the 1/48th die-cast?

Offline Dentatus

• Glass Graphics Studio
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:41:47 PM »
Vereem or Solido.

I went to www.wartanks.com

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:00:45 PM »
Hey Firefly...

who made that model kit that you used?

B.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 09:12:56 PM »
 :oNice work.  Very clean.  The airbrushing (I assume you airbrushed) produced a very realistic effect.  The Charger conversion looks like it worked out very well.  Frankly if Armorcast doesn't finish soon (yes I realize these things take time) I will have to follow your example.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 05:09:19 AM by Veez »
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Firefly

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 04:52:00 AM »
Sylvas, Heller models is the company that made the kit.  I ordered it through Roll Models.
http://www.rollmodels.net/search/newsrch.php

Veez, I actually just cut out a template of random shapes, laid it over the model, and then used spray paint to get the effect.  If I could have waited, I would have passed it to a buddy of mine who does have an airbrush.  He painted up some armor for my Guard army (for that other game) that turned out really nice.

Dentatus, thanks for the link.

Offline Bilal

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 06:02:15 PM »
Firefly, thats a beautiful piece!

(And you know I have to get my 2 cents in here)

It might look even better with corporate insignia, unit marking and vehicle identification numbers on it, wouldn't it? ;)

Now hup to, and we want pictures! (again!)

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »
A very nice piece and well painted too.

I'd add some weathering to it though. Rust, dirt, oil and mud.

Offline Firefly

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 08:12:56 PM »
Funny thing about the weathering... I was so pumped to be back in the states and working on this project I just sat down, built it and then painted it.  All of this happening as fast as I possibly could.  It didn't even cross my mind to do any weathering or mud splatters.  Keep in mind that prior to leaving the US I had just finished nine Guard tanks complete with decals and weathering.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it didn't even cross my mind to weather the Vermin... Another thing, the tires on this kit are rubber and I wasn't sure that I wanted to prime and paint over them.  I'm also real big on decals so I don't know why I didn't mess with them either.  Just a slacker I suppose.

I might go back and do some additional work, maybe throw some decals on, probably just some generic vehicle numbering or something....  :-\

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 09:22:15 PM »
Rubber can be surpsingly absorbant.   You may just need to drybrush over it lightly.  Unless you are caking it with mud it should stay.  If you are caking it with mud and the paint falls off, just point out to your opponent how super-realistic your model is because it sheds dirt just like in real life.  I gurantee he will collapse tactcally of shock at your modeling skills.

That said, I have quite a few rubber tires I primed black then painted and they held it quite welll.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 03:40:56 PM »
Super sweet!

I'm gonna have to hit up my local hobby shops for APCs and such.

Actually, I was thinking of getting a few Hummer kits, and using them as small Capitol strike vehicles.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba