Author Topic: Trenchstorm  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Enker

Trenchstorm
« on: December 16, 2005, 02:01:28 AM »
Hi Cowboys,

Some time ago I have asked "How to win against Mishima?", now (in fact about two month ago) I have done it!
I'm just in the mood to retrospective about this great victory. It was a Trenchstrom Scenario, each side 1000 Pts.
I played Capitol against Bagombas Mishima force. Setup was a deploymentzone on each side behind 36'' long trenches.
The distance between the two trenches was 20''. Mission task was to get as many models as possible into the enemy
deploymentzone behind his trench. Turn limit was six turns. The models were counted at the end of the sixt turn.
It was a very exciting game, with a dicission in the last round.

Here are the forces:
Capitol (me):
2x Squads Hvy. Inf. with Sniper
1x Colonel
2x Squads Wailing Banshees
2x Wailing Banshee Captain
2x Orca Mk III, 1x Orca with RL, 2x HMG Rider

Mishima (don't remember exactly):
4x Squad Faceless
2x Squad Pheonix Samurai
4x Battlewalker
1x Ameratsu
1x Toshiro
1x the Guy with the Screach Gun
2 or 3 Deathbringer or Demonhunter

Deployment:
I deployed the Hvy. Inf on the flanks of the Trenches, the Orcas in the centre and the Wailings in the middle.
Mishima deployed his Demonhunters, Toshiro together with two Battlewalker and one Squad Pheonix on one flank.
On the other were two Battlewalker, the other Pheonix, Ameratsu and Screachy. Faceless were on the whole front as meatshield.

I don't remember each turn exactly, so I just write the tactics of each one (it's shorter, too).
I played four turns "sitting duck". I stayed behind my trench and let Mishma come. The Wailings were in the middle, to have a better chance to survive. Then on the fifth turn I started an assault with the remaining Banshees, to get them behind the enemy trenches at the end of turn six.
Mishma attacked right from the beginning. One one flank he assaulted with two Battlewalker, Toshiro and the Demonhunters.
On the other flank just Screachy stormed my Trench. Two Battlewalker and the Phoenix stayed for defence of his Trench.
The Faceless as Meatshield were fully erased in the first round. To defend my trench I moved the two HMG Riders and the Colonel to
the heavily attacked flank. Somehow I managed it, to destroyed most of his assault troop before he could make a single hit in CC.
Only Toshiro and the Battlewalker did some damage. On the fifth turn there were not much models left on the table.
I put my two remaining Wailings foreward, flying over the trenches . They survived an attack of a Phoenix and stayed in the enemy deploymentzone until the end of turn six. Mishima had no models in my deploymentzone, so I won the scenario against Mishima.
One (ok, three) sentence about "luck". I think the dice were on my side concerning attack rolles and saves.
But with initiative I can say that Mishima won most of the important initiatives. If I had won more initiatives I wouldn't have needed the
luck on my other rolls.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Trenchstorm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 02:13:56 AM »
sounds like a really fun game.  I've never been a fan of Faceless.  I'd rather give a guy a gun and let him earn his keep than just have him blow himself off the board.  any pics from this?  just as a note, HMG riders are optional "load outs" for the Orcas, meaning that if you buy them you have to get them for each Orca in the squad.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 05:34:50 AM »
Sounds like a fun game .
I'm sure it feels good to finaly win against your hated foe. ;)

I found if one has trouble beating an army try playing a scenario whos goal isnt to kill ever model. It seems to even things out.

-steve
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Enker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 06:06:03 AM »
Yes the scenario was fine for my troops. It's agreat advantage if you can shoot with 22 Assault Rifles for a few turns,
and storm the trench in just the last two turns. My Wailings were able to go throught the middle, with their flight ability.
Mishima had to come over the flanks, which I protected well. But it was a hard fight. On turn four and five he was standing
with some Demonhunter, Battlewalker and Toshiro just beside or even in my trench. They took a lot of fire until I wiped them out.
The Battlewalker killed my Hvy. Inf like ants, but the Wailings stand well against this bullet wall.
Perhaps Mishima would have won, if he had assaulted my trench a little bit more carefull and better timed.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!