Author Topic: Cyclopes Forge Jackal Dwarves  (Read 16750 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Cyclopes Forge Jackal Dwarves
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 12:32:09 PM »
 Have you got yours yet Joshua?
 I have one.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »
I'll give you my honest breakdown of Cyclopes Forge.  1. I'm terrifically happy that someone is sculpting models that we can use for our games.  2. I bought the "Urjadeen" and "Blessed Urjadeen" to proxy as the Ogre and Troll Deathseekers.  I had them painted by a friend who is far more talented than me, and gave two to a friend.  The guy painting them was miserable, as they are not as anatomically detailed, or proportioned as other sculptors work.  3.  I think it's great that Francesco is putting his work out, but I like some models better than others.  I think these Dwarves are better than the rest of the offerings so far, and will prolly pick some up.  I play often enough that I know they will see gaming.  The Dragonskull Warrior proxies are okay, but those swords are brittle, and I will probably use some old Leviathan sculpts to proxy instead.  Currently I'm just using whatever's at hand.  I truly hope that the Lotus Guard proxies will turn out better, and I support Francesco, and will buy some of his product, but it's not up to par just yet with what's out there already.  I offer this as constructive criticism, not to bash Francesco's work.  I'm hoping other sculptors see the potential in putting out models for our community, on their own original takes.  As long as they don't steal from Thom's artwork, or infringe on the copyrights, IP, etc., I say go for it. 

If Rattlehead Games picks these up Stateside, I'll order some.  I am damnably tired of using my Vulture clan Crossbowmen as proxies, and would love to paint up some to match my army.

Cheers.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 02:15:18 AM »
 They are nice and like you say are not up to Kev's standard yet.But they are better than I could do.
 Francesco has Carpel Tunnel syndrome at the moment so is having to rest.
 I agree that the miniatures are on the brittle side.I think this is due to the metal mixture.
 I have most of the Fantasy releases so far and am waiting for the Dragon Skull Leader to come out as he was a great sculpt.The Lotus Guard are looking nice too.

So far I think Francesco is doing a very good job at filling in gaps in a game that is not in production at the moment.I think if he can get a good range sorted he may try to get the Licence.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 05:02:24 AM »
Not seeing a lot of other miniatures companies putting out very much that is useful to us right now so I can't complain over the quality of these figs.

Besides, you kids these days are spoiled by the quality of figs out there.  Just take a look at some of the old Grenadier and Pre Julie Guthrie D&D figs.  Those were ugly and poorly sculptured.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 09:59:08 AM »
In this months Wargames Illustrated thier is an add for the sale of the old Copplestone Grenadier miniatures line including the great Barbarians and Dark Elves.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »
True that.  I'm only putting out constructive criticism.  My collection boasts some of Francesco's models, and they appear on my table often.  Your observation is correct in that we aren't seeing much useful to us out there.

I have fond memories of that old Grenadier stuff!!  Sure they're not up to today's quality, but that's what I grew up with.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 10:06:29 AM »
Not seeing a lot of other miniatures companies putting out very much that is useful to us right now so I can't complain over the quality of these figs.

Besides, you kids these days are spoiled by the quality of figs out there.  Just take a look at some of the old Grenadier and Pre Julie Guthrie D&D figs.  Those were ugly and poorly sculptured.

Dang whippersnappers -- In my day we used bottlecaps and we was dang glad to have 'em. Manys the time I recollect walking down the street with an onion on my belt -- as was the style of the time -- and a bag of bottlecaps. It drove the young girls crazy and made parents nervous -- the onion that is not the bag of bottlecaps. Anyhow we would run across another young scamp with a bag of bottlecaps and then the fight was on. Why we'd.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

huh...wha!!!.....Is it time for hot chocolate already? I hope you youngsters have a better understanding of the history of your hobby -- now GO AWAY!!!!! It's time for hot chochy and Matlock.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
I'm with ya there Hal.  We used pennies, Parchiese markers, Go/Othello pieces, etc. for our D&D encounters.  Save me a seat for Matlock.

Wedge

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
I still have some really old miniatures.  Funny true story...

I was on the phone taking a message for my wife.  Her friend wanted to give me a detailed message to leave but I couldn't find a pen.  That's when it hit me... I opened up my miniature case, got out one of my old (unpainted) grenadier goblins and wrote the message with the base of the miniature.  Ahhhh...

Lead poisoning... how I miss the intrinsic dangers of being a  D&D player from the 80's!  ;D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
Lead poisoning... how I miss the intrinsic dangers of being a  D&D player from the 80's!  ;D

Uhm....are you saying that filing off flash over my bowl of Super Sugar Crisp for all those years might be bad?  :o
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
In my day we used bottlecaps and we was dang glad to have 'em. Manys the time I recollect walking down the street with an onion on my belt -- as was the style of the time -- and a bag of bottlecaps.

i donīt get it..

onions??
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 01:51:47 PM »
Reference to a Grandpa Simpson quote. Here is the whole thing or as much of it as I could find.

Mr. burns: so do u have a way to get rid of the protesters?

Grandpa: One way to get rid of them is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time we went over to shelbyville during the war, I wore an onion on my belt....which was the style at the time...you couldnt get those white ones, you could only get those big yellow ones.................now where was I........oh yeah, the important thing was I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time, you couldnt get those... (trails off)

Offline Francesco

• GHAMAK
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi,
sorry for my long assence, but my right hand don't work well and write is difficult for me. Actualy, I'm under therapy, but, for sure I must operate (a simple surgical operation, about 10 minaite, my doctor say so...), but with slownes I continue to sculpt. In a near past I decided not post any other greens photo, but next week I will like to show you elite ogre unit (three pose, did not sculpt the leader) and hear your advice.
Elven lotus warrior are my better sculpt so far, any pose are really dinamics and I like it very much (three pose, one leader and a standard bear, five model in all). I think monday to have it on my hand, so we can start to paint (some models will be send to our friend in alaska for paintjob :)
I appretiace any costructive critics, thanks jhoshua :)

As long as they don't steal from Thom's artwork, or infringe on the copyrights, IP, etc., I say go for it. 

If you talk about Ascended or thor of lotus, yes, I have two model on my desk who waint the last retouch. I don't want steal anythingh from Thom or other one, but he have the original two miniatures sculpted by me time ago for excelsior (and he has my first lotus guard... three miniatures sculpted by me when I start). I start to sculpt when Thom complain about the sculptors problem, high cost and theyr (presumed or not I cannot say) little reliable. He never pay me or return it back, and I demand many time. This miniatures are not my best, but it is my work. I have for Thom all the respect, he allow cyclopes forge presence on his forum and I'm gratefull for this, but I remeber all the work put for sculpt this models (I doing three time the Acended becose thom don't like it, and I must admint first models are very very veru bad  :-[ ... and the lotus guard take an entire month for understand what doing), and I'm sad for this. I prefer think he forgot or missed  this greens... So, I don't think to steal anythingh if, in a future I will decide to release minaitures similar to this two.  If you think my idea are wrong  let me know, I prefer to talk in civil way with civil men, and I don't want start a little war. Sorry if any of my word look offensive, this was not my intention

So far I think Francesco is doing a very good job at filling in gaps in a game that is not in production at the moment.I think if he can get a good range sorted he may try to get the Licence.

License? We tried, but, with Paradox condiction the Excelsior backrupt was only a time question. It is impossibile, for a little company work with the paradox agreement, and a big company will prefer to start a totaly new game and setting, without the bad chronopia past and paradox dominion. If paradox has any interest to take alive chronopia, they must sell ad not give under tempraly license all the rights. But they don't want.

Thanks very much but, I understand your point and apretiace your comments, but  I don't want you buy bad quality figs. Ok, first are not the better on the market (but not the bad one, I m sure about this point), but next one, start to dwarf crossbowmen are a big improvment and lotus warriors guards are better then the dwarfs, so new models are a big improvement. You will see soon :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:27:20 PM by Francesco »

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I'm still hoping to see a package in the mail from Francesco...

I'd love to see these figures in person.

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!