Author Topic: Direct Fire Rockets  (Read 5805 times)

Iron Panda

Direct Fire Rockets
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »
This came up last game and need a bit of clarification about using rockets.

1. For direct fire rockets, if it hits a target, then that one target is affected.

1a. If an AP direct fire rocket hits, then all in a small template is affected.

What if it miss?  Does one roll for deviation for both 1 and 1a?  Or the attack gets negated?

Thanks!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Direct Fire Rockets
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »
If an AP rocket misses the amount of the miss is subtracted from the weapons damage.

Example: a Scorpion has a RC of 8. Med range is a -2. You need a 6 to hit. You roll a 12. The rockets damage is normally 13. With the miss by 6 the rockets Dam is now 7. If you miss your roll by more than 13, there is no damage.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
And if you miss with the normal rocket its just a miss like a bullet shot.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:25:29 AM »
AP rockets can bea  pain when you are having a bad dice day. Ive killed 21 AR models with a rocket shot DAM 2. My motto is "Make em roll baby!"

Homebase- Philadelphia

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
Indeed both Phillysniper and Dragon62 are correct!

Iron Panda

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »
Wow!

AP is a beautiful thing indeed!

Wish DL has some rockets at their disposal. :(

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:37:46 PM »
Yeah but rockets have to see what they shoot at. We dont have the mighty VAL who can kill units he cant even see by aiming at a spot near said unit and casting apocolypse 3 times in a turn  ;D

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
Wow!

AP is a beautiful thing indeed!

Wish DL has some rockets at their disposal. :(

Hello.

Rockets we don'ts need no stinking rockets we got screeching projectiles :P ;D

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 06:20:34 AM »
AP rockets are a beautiful thing, but not when you are fielding Imperial Regulars with their mighty RC of 7 firing at MR with a (-4) modifier...

seem to have a lot of airbursts there....

Rockets are absolutely devastating with the right units...consider that Capitol Assault Marines have a RL Spec with an RC up near 10, oh and DEADSHOT!....that is quite foul...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »
AP rockets are a beautiful thing, but not when you are fielding Imperial Regulars with their mighty RC of 7 firing at MR with a (-4) modifier...
absolutely true. thatīs why i donīt understand the fielding of HI RL.. (even though the model is very nice!)

Rockets are absolutely devastating with the right units...consider that Capitol Assault Marines have a RL Spec with an RC up near 10, oh and DEADSHOT!....that is quite foul...
the spec has 11..
but the deadshot will not work, i think: it states firearms. a RL does not qualify, does it?
(also, on templates, DS has no effects..)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »
Yes it works for the regular rocket but not the AP templete version. Also there is nothing wrong with the Imperial Regular RL or the Capital HI RL> I've wounded a Behemoth with both. You can Aim a RL.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 08:57:18 AM by Dragon62 »
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »
does it work (deadshot) for RL??

the rules state trained with firearms

even though logic is considered no argument, it makes sense..
to shoot a bullet into a H2H or a ROCKET  :o ...

edit:
i know it says may shoot into cc... etc..
the part about the firearms may be fluff..

but to aim a rocket with no risk is very good training..

edit2: the RL with RC ~8 may be aimed, but this is only A/shooting effective if the target survives the first hit. if not you switch targets and loose aim.
the behemoth is a perfect target, but if you shoot AP rockets at 1 W models you well may end up with just 2 shots, one at -4+3, one at -4..
the cost to field such a spec (while not haveing a sniper, eg.) is very high comared to reliability..
that does, of course, not exclude some effective hits.. but i, personally, would prefer the sniper.#

cuīs
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 09:12:39 AM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Deadshot works with non-AP rockets....

that's not to say that I've never used the HI RL, but the low probability to hit makes me hesitant to use them...even with aiming you are still looking at a (-1)RC to hit at MR...since I like to play the percentages (usually), I prefer using things like HMGs that have bonuses at shorter ranges, even though the RL is capable of some massive damage...

because of the AP rocket's chances of doing some damage, unless you airburst, I have been using them a little more frequently lately, but I have so far done almost no damage with them...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »
You guys also have to realise the other benefit of Rls. The THREAT.  You can force people to spread troops out almost to the point of ineffectiveness. You can make them hesitant to take a certain approach < 1Dam  from a rocket still forces a roll and weve all rolled a 19 when we need to save with 19 AR :D.
 HMGs are nice and they have their place but they are still hit or miss . With a RL template even if you miss by 3-4 you are still doing 7,8 or even 9 damage depending on the unit used. ANd again you are forcing an AR save on possibly mulitple units with 1 shot. Effective and deadly just ask wmeredith or masher or anyone else who has faced Capitol commanded by me :)

Homebase- Philadelphia