Author Topic: Strike Skimmer  (Read 11225 times)

Offline Lopis

Re: Strike Skimmer
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Why the Flight officer hasnīt the SA Form Fireteam is perfectly clear.
Heīs an officer! and a division Commander!
Naturally he operates alone. Thereīs no individual with FormFireteam..... doesnītn make sense.... If he wants to form a fireteam he simply assumes command!
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
He is there to act as a commander for armies
I believe he can count towards off-board as he has the commander skill.

Must be a Force Commander, not a Divisional Commander or lower.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
Why the Flight officer hasnīt the SA Form Fireteam is perfectly clear.
Heīs an officer! and a division Commander!
Naturally he operates alone. Thereīs no individual with FormFireteam..... doesnītn make sense.... If he wants to form a fireteam he simply assumes command!

Excellent interpretation, Lopis.  I tend to agree with you.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Enker

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
Ok the Flight Officer is a Devision Commander.
So he can leave the Squad (the Purple Shark) by spending one Action.
By doing so he is no longer part of the Squad, but he is still sitting on the Purple Shark because he hasn't spend an action to go offbaord.

Ok next round. I activate the Purple Shark. Move 3 times.
After my enemy activates a unit I activate the Filght Officer, who is still sitting on the Purple Shark, but no longer part of the Squad.
He spends one Action to go offboard and has two actions left. Nasty.

Or does leaving the Squad imply that he also goes offboard. Both in this one action?

Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Lopis

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »
Nope Enker, as you put it it doesnīt work.....

He canīt leave the squad simply by using an action.

Thereīs a substantial crux in this whole thing....
I asked myself nearly the same questions.
Anmd one problem is exactly the squad coherency. You donīt buy optional crew memebers, meaning an extra squad to man the Shark.
You have  buy a rider, you get only to choose which one you like. Following this the rider is part of the squad.....

So itīs clear for the riders with Form Fire Team.
They hop off and leave command distance of the vehicle. They are per SA squad members as long as they are in command distance, at least until next activation because in this activation they activated as crew members! OK getting out of CD isnīt that hard... One move of the shark and one of the rider, et voilā.

So now to the Flight officer:

He activates as crew member, which is the essential fault in your reasoning.
The commanders can assume command with an action, but they canīt abandon their squads that easy.....
To leave the squad he has to disembark at least, because by this he leaves the original crew and following this the order of activation in this particular squad.
As long as being in the crew he has to activate as that.
He abandons command with an action.
And then on his next activation he could act as an individual again.
Solus honor cladem avertat !

Offline Enker

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
The Fight Officer is actually not really covered by the rules.
You have two ways to interpret it.
One conclsuion is that he can leave the squad and the purple shark.
The other one ist that he cannot.

If the Flight Officer cannot leave the Shark the unit is so senseless to me.
If he can leave the unit maybe makes sense in some capture the flag scenarios.

"Great Grey, the better way to fly."

Let's wait for the FAQ team.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
The flight officer is covered by the rules.  Specifically, he is a Heavy Infantry Captain, is granted the ability of having a Command Helmet while onboard the shark, and activates as a crewmember.

The Flight Officer may disembark (I see no reason why he cannot), but cannot leave the "squad" - no model has this ability without Form Fireteam.  If he disembarks, he may then use hiw weapon, but the Shark must stay within Command Distance.

Offline Enker

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »
The Flight Officer may disembark (I see no reason why he cannot), but cannot leave the "squad" - no model has this ability without Form Fireteam.  If he disembarks, he may then use hiw weapon, but the Shark must stay within Command Distance.

Doesn't a Devisional Commander have the ablility to leave a squad?
I mean if a Dev Commander joins a Squad he can also leave it, right?
What is so different with this Flight Officer as Devisional Commander?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
Per the book, "They will for all intents and purposes be considered a member of the squad in question, and act as the squad leader for so long as they are attached."

No other member of any squad may leave a squad, unless that model has the Form Fireteam SA.  The Commander has no such ability, therefore, cannot leave the squad after joining it.

Perhaps someone else has a differing interpretation?  It could be argued that the last bit of the statement implies the ability to detach from the unit.