Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 34069 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2005, 05:31:55 AM »
Since we are on a Victorian kick, The Alienist and its sequel are quite good.  Not scifi but interesting none-the-less.  I just finished John Ringo's There Will Be Dragons.  I had a hard time getting into it but it was good once it got started.  I'm working on Lustbader's Mistress of the Pearl, the third book in that series.  I think it will progress past a trilogy based on what I have read so far.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2005, 06:28:51 AM »
The Alienist is one of my all time favorites!  Great read.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
I two felt the same way about john ringos book, But once your hooked your hooked
(didnt help I started with the middle book of the series :-\) Damn fine read.
Looking to see what other books he wrote. His one of the authors on my must read list.

someone wrote about the Necroscope. I just want add my thumbs up to that series (at least the earlier books havent read the last few).

-steve

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 10:02:44 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2006, 01:12:03 AM »
Yesterday I ended reading the book Quicksilver Rising (Der magische bund) by Stan Nicholls. And I must say, I'm really surprised...I have read his first book, I believe, the Orcs and it was mostly average fantasy... With Quicksilver Rising he has done a good job. I'm looking forward to read the rest of the trilogy...
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 01:43:55 AM »
I have just finished The Big Bang by Simon Singh. It's a book describing how astronomy, physics and the theory of the origin of the universe has evolved. I can really recommend the book, it manages to explain complex astronomical and physics questions in a way which is both easy to understand for the layman and also quite entertaining. Sing has also written The Codebreakers and Fermat's Last Theorem which deal with codes and math respectively. I haven't read Codebreakers but the other one manages to make the history of math become a very exciting story.

This weekend I bought the Chronicles of Conan which is a big voulme that collects everything Robert E. Howard wrote about the original swordswinging barbarian.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 05:44:43 AM »
What I'm not reading:  four books I orderd from Amazon.com to include the third book in Ringo's Council Wars series and the first two in the Game of Thrones series (highly reccomend to me by many).  Why am I not reading them-because some idiot shut down our mail three weeks early and didn't tell anybody!

I'll have to make due with our huge collection of Nora Robers novels.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »
Cthulhu mythos and Star Wars novels, as well as the books I need to read for school.
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2006, 09:37:06 AM »
     I have just reread "Morigu: The Desecration " & "Morigu: The Dead, by Mark C. Perry :).  It is some of the best high fantasy ever written, everybody I've loaned the books to thinks so as well.  The books are pretty much non-stop, in your face, b@lls to the wall action with a very cool story line and intersting characters.  In fact the guy who seduced me into playing chronopia told me" Think of "Morigu" only with minis".  It is just to bad the author died(?) before the 3rd book was written.  Still it is so good I reread them every couple of years.
     Right now I'm reading Robert Adams "Castaways in time" series as I just got the last 2 books at a used book store a while back.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »
I'll be at Borders today!  Like Chronopia?  Great fiction?!  You read it every few years?!?!  Sold!!!!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA