Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 34079 times)

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 05:47:09 PM »
At the moment, I am reading 2 books.

The main book(s) I am reading is The Sailor on the Seas of Fate by Michael Moor****.  This is the second of the Elric saga (one of my favorite fantasy series).  The writing style is very definitely British, very similar to Tolkien's flowery writing style, so if you do not like that writing style, you might not like his books.

I am also reading a book called Ship of Fools by Paul Russo.  It is a very twisted, pyschological sci-fi thriller very similar to Alan Dean Foster's book Alien.

Another good book that I have just finished is Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton.  Now I have to warn people, it's a 1,000 page paperback, and there is a sequel coming out early next year, but this book made me turn the pages and some of the things that I thought were trivial at the beginning of the book turned out to be extremely important by the end.  I recommend it highly.

B

And BTW...the Wheel of Time series is one of the worst series I have ever tried to read.  I think that I got through book 3 before I just gave up because of terminal boredom.
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 08:41:35 PM »
so, who is worse, Clancy or this wheel of time? I love Clancy, but, it takes a good 2-300 pages for him to get the plot moving. Is wheel of time like this, or a wheel of time that does not move, keeping you in perpetual limbo?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »
Wheel of Time is worse by far.

It's complete drivel.  Clancey may take a few chapters to reach a point but Jordan takes a few pages.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 10:16:25 PM »
I'm reading Photocopies by Berger right now. It's not a sci-fi but it's for class. I haven't had time to read anything I want to, Capilano College requires lots of reading! In between textbooks and the Chronopia rulebook I'm reading the Fault of Kaiber (the confrontation novel). Pretty good.

Offline Anomander_Rake

• Fortune favours the brave
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 12:34:48 AM »
The last (english) books I've read were the dragon-crown cycle by Michael Stackpole. In fact, I've read all of his Fantasy- and Battletechnovels.

I've read George Martin, too...but if you want to read something very good try Steven Erikson. He's very different to other writers, he is the first who hasn't stolen anything from 'Lord of the Rings' so far that I could recommend it. Try it and you will love it....

If you are looking for non SF/Fantasy fiction, try Karin Slaughter, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, Mo Hayder, James Patterson or Dennis Lehane...

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake
It's better to be silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Offline MadBrad

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 01:38:44 AM »
For Sci-Fi, pick up just about anything by Michael Resnick.  Santiago and Ivory are a very good place to start.   

His writing style is superb, and the storys are very well thought out.
Cybertronic - Superior by design

E-Bay Handle: bradthemad

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:45 AM »
Even though he writes for the game company that no one dares mention, Dan Abnett is a brilliant writer. He's definately my favorite writer in the world. Nabokov, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, James, they're all hacks when put next to Abnett! If you can get a hold of the Eisenhorn trilogy it's an amazing read. Don't worry, the company won't suck you in by reading the trilogy, take it purely as a science-fiction novel. Last time I checked it was $15 CDN for the big book.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 11:30:09 AM »
I have almost all the Warhammer novels and I agree, Dan Abnett is really good.  I haven't read the 40K fiction.  I would love to see some fiction in the worlds of Chronopia and Warzone. :)
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Vingthor

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 09:06:01 PM »
 I've been reading "The Great and Secret Show" & "Everville" by Clive Barker. This time through I feel more kinship with the antagonist instead of the protagonist.

PMP Ving

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 02:38:17 AM »
Good selections, the Barker stuff, though I'd hardly call it anything  a family should enjoy together.  Try the Books of Blood for a better collection of his short stories, but stay away from Galilee, it's one of his weaker efforts.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 04:51:31 AM »
Clive Barkers "In the Flesh" scared the hell out of me.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 06:52:15 AM »
I'm a big fan of clive barkers short stories.
In the flesh and books of blood series is very good also loved the Cabal novel
(nightbreed movie).

Another collection of shorts done by a different author is Soft and Others, very
twilight zone'ish.

Steven kings Dark Tower seris.  Damn good.

I've really enjoyed some John Ringo's books example: Dance with the devil

as for as warhammer novels goes Its got to be the The slayers series.
God I love that little engine of destruction that is the Trollslayer.
                                               One the reasons I dig my darkaxes so much.   8)

sooo many good books such little time to type.

-steve

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Vingthor

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 07:17:13 AM »
 "The Theif of Always" is the only book by Barker that I would consider for family reading. I read his stuff because he flies in the face of conventional story plots and structure, kind of like what H.P. Lovecraft did in his day.

I have never been able to get through a single book from the Black Library. I can get a few chapters into some of the Warhammer books, but never more than a few pages into a 40K book, even the Eisenhorn trilogy.

I like Stephen Kings short stories (all of his best movies are made from his short stories) but I can't stand his full length books. The only exception for me was "The Stand".

PMP Ving

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 07:59:27 AM »
masher, I'm with you on the Trollslayer series--so much fun.  I also dug the Warhammer book "Zavant".  It's a really fun read where Zavant Konniger is the Sherlock Holmes of the Warhammer world.  Really fun stuff.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 08:59:47 AM »
you my friend have been awarded a appauled point. 8)

anyone who likes the trollslayers series gets points in my book.

I've heard zavant to be a good book, well good for a warhammer novel.

-steve.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful