Author Topic: Pseudo Game Related Rant  (Read 7797 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Pseudo Game Related Rant
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:28:49 PM »
Right now I am well and truly ticked off. Has God suddenly decided that the fundamentalists are right and that gaming in all it's forms is evil? This is like the 3rd straight freaking time that I have arranged a con and things have not gone off smoothly.

The "Boys From Illinois" (Myself, Coldthunder, Southpaw and Mechmannfr) were set to do Archon 30 in Collinsville, IL this weekend. Then fate kicked us square in the prize package.
- Southpaw had to bow out due to family concerns a few weeks ago
- I suddenly had to work, then my schedule cleared, and then got filled again as problems popped up at other sites I supervize.
and now
- Mechmannfr went to see his parents this afternoon and they are not well. So he is out - at least til Saturday.

So now Dennis is left up there by himself to take care of business and deal with the Con people who have to be upset by the last minute loss of games. After years of working hard to establish a rep as dependable judges we are getting poked by the Fickle Finger of Fate. I am so frustrated and pi$$ed by circumstances that for about 5 minutes I seriously thought about giving it all away and finding a new hobby. Then I decided that I've never run from anything yet no matter how bad it kicked my a$$ so I will have to come up with a plan to get things back on track and begin rebuilding our reps around here.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:37:08 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Re: Pseudo Game Related Rant
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »
      What a bite in the @ss.  I kinda know what you mean,  I have been stonewalled trying to get the guys together to play some Chronopia, and my RPG group has been on involuntary hiatus since June due to scheduling nightmares where I can't even get half the group on 1 night!  I thought pretty hard on just saying screw it til next year.  But, I can't stop now.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:10:10 PM »
I feel the pain man, but all the work you have done so far can;t be undone by one con. We all have "lives" that take priority over games. Hell I promised Josh I would go to double exposure on the 29, but if anything had come up with work or especially family I would not have gone. I wish you luck with the future.

Wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »
Hang in there.  It's happened out here too.  J.P. was screwed out of the price of a con, and a hotel room because the Fickle Finger of Fate struck.  Regroup, redeploy, and make the next event you plan work.  You don't strike me as the type to give up. 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:04:46 AM »
Look at the bright side; at least you have a group there to get together with.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:42:18 AM »
It's amazing how Life can get in the way of gaming at times. It's happened to all of us.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »
Well that's a bummer... for certain.  I have this little bit of encouragement:

GO DENNIS GO!  GO DENNIS GO!  GO DENNIS GO!  GO DENNIS GO!  GO DENNIS GO!
Good luck with the con!  I hope everyone is understanding.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
Dennis "Coldthunder" Moler is the absolute hardcore A-1Warzone/Chronopia Stud. Starting Thursday night he ran every event but one for a total of 8 events over 4 days. He would have ran them all but 2 were scheduled for the same slot. Basically he ran Thursday night, all day Friday, all day Saturday, and then closed the Con by running a game in the only slot on Sunday.

He emerged from the fire a little tired but unbroken. We are supposed to get together this weekend for our regular gaming weekend and if he recovers enough to make it the man has a steak dinner coming from me.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:37:30 AM »
'Told ya to have faith.  Kudos to Dennis "Coldthunder" Moler for making it all come together.  I know how upset you were over life getting in the way, but it happens, and sometimes heroics are in order to save the day.  Eight events over four days!  Keep up the fight out there y'all. 

Cheers.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »
The Con started with an evening slot on Thursday and we had 2 events scheduled. Dennis ran one and the other had no one signed up luckily. He then ran all three slots on Friday and all three on Saturday. He finished up by running a game the only slot on Sunday. He also drove an hour or so each way every day. While I was driving from one site to another for work we improvised scenarios on the fly and he ran them with the scenery and figs he had on hand. That usually involved staying up after getting home to redo army lists. He basically got 3 to 4 hours sleep a night. Dennis is in his 50's and has a faulty ticker so I was more than a little worried about him. He frankly deserves more than a steak dinner but it'll have to do for a start.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
Heroics is an understatement then!

Wedge

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
WOOO HOOO DENNIS!  YOU DA MAN!

Offline Coldthunder

• Excelsior Crusader Midwest Region
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »
I wish to thank everyone for their votes of confidence and they're well wishes.  I've caught up with my rest and feeling much better now.  I hope to be back in my old routine soon.  Thanks again for all your Cheers!
A friend will bail you out of jail --
A good friend will be sitting right next to you saying "Damn that was Fun!!"