Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 32940 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
What are you reading?
« on: October 17, 2005, 06:21:45 AM »
I am currently slogging my way through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and I'm into the fifth book, with much more to go.  I liked Jordan's writing from the three Conan novellas he wrote--this guy was really in the swing of Robert Howard, so I decided on the Wheel books.  I don't know if they are nescessarily good fiction, but any fantasy series that's kept me through five books so far is at least holding my interest.  Admittedly, there are some stretches of tedium insofar as to leave me settin' em down for a spell and reading the latest Warhammer novel to come along.  I tear through those usually in two sittings, but I've been returning to Jordan, and even want to see how the series turns out. 

What do y'all recommend?  Especially in the fantasy/ sci-fi department, but any will do. 
Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 06:30:03 AM »
I am currently re-re-RE-reading the Lord of the Rings. Most excelent book, especially if you want to know where Dungeons and Dragons came from.  Even after having seen the movies, i still recomend the books, because there are a TON of scenes, etc, that were cut from the final movie. Yes, its a hard/long read, but well worth it! Also, you need to start with "The Hobbit" just to understand how it all begins, etc.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 06:43:38 AM »
I did some of that same re-re-re you did!  Especially to get the scenes when the four Hobbits came back to the Shire and had to clean house--hmm, reminds me of the Odyssey at the end.  You're right, the movies were great, but gettin' to the source is a good thing.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 07:04:33 AM »
The Wheel of Time series is a complete and total waste of time.   It is probably the single best example of absolute garbage and verbal diarrhea.  The writing style when not "inspired" is repetitive (pages of hair pulling), insulting (euphaisms for everything remotely dirty) and downright obnoxious (Forebludgioning of story points in a hamm fisted and butcherous way ie "sheathin the sword" and every thing Matt does).  Jordan goes beyond taking inspiration from other writers and falls directly into the plagiarism.  He steals ideas directly out of all fantasy and scifi Classics.  From the Nazghul of Tolkien to the Frank Herberts Fremen the only even remotely original idea he's come up with is the creative naming scheme for other writers popular characters, Lan Mandoragon is a complete rip off of Aragorn.

Do NOT read The Wheel of Time.  Put the book down where you are.  Do not support or encourage  that worthless hack.  He left explicit instructions that in the event of his death all of his notes are to be destroyed and his computers hard drive wiped.  This is not because he doesn't want someone ruining his works (he's done a fair enough job of that on his own)  but because he doesn't want anyone seeing his copies of The Lord  of the Rings and every Dragon Lance book with all the important bits highlighted for future use in his novels.

There is only one modern Fantasy writer you should ever touch and that is George R. R. Martin and his Song of Ice and Fire series is incredible, engaging and an absolute Masterpiece.  Go to your nearest book store, or just online, and buy A Game of Thrones.  You won't be dissapointed.

If you want to retain a modicum of respect from me, you'll stack all Jordan novels near the toilet (in case it overflows, it's not worthy of being wiped across my @ss) and redeem yourself in A Game of Thrones and it's follow up novels.

-PFC joe
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 07:11:33 AM by PFC joe »
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 07:13:22 AM »
I'm with ya, Joe.  I'm engaged in an excercise of masochism, just seeing if I can get through these books.  I find myself disappointed with Jordan's own work.  He's better trying to write in other's style, i.e. the Conan stuff he wrote was actually good.  I so far have managed not to throw them across the room, but seeing as the heating bills are going to be through the roof, I've got a friend with a wood burning stove.  ;D

Thanks for the tips, Joe.  I'll pick up that "Game of Thrones" and get back to ya. 

Offline Nikodemus

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 07:14:23 AM »
I second PFC Joes advice: Song of ice and fire is a fantastic series, I have read all books in six days..  :o

Wheel of time begins pretty solid imo but drags on and on and on without anything really happening, I gave up on it with book 23 (german edition)...

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 07:16:12 AM »
Now I won't feel bad givin' up on this mess.  This has been a catharthis of sorts.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 07:18:26 AM »
Don't try to use Wheel of Time in a life saving or heating related manner.  A friend of mine tried to burn "the Eye of the World" in protest and came down with a terrible case of stupid-poisioning.   Just stay away from those terrible, terrible books.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 07:25:09 AM »
If you want a good read, try Frederick Pohl, Issac Asimov, Orson Scott Card, HG Wells, etc, the "founders of the genre" (sci-fi, that is).

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »
What about the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series?

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 07:44:38 AM »
I just finished American Scream: The biography of Bill Hicks last night and curled up in a fetal ball as I realized life is too short and I should work at achieving something more with my life. For those that might not know, Bill Hicks was a brilliant, scathing comedian that died of pancreatic cancer at the tender age of 32.

Also reading Night-Time Guy by Tony Kenrick. It's okay, average thriller about a man treated to see in total darkness but becomes blind in the daytime. Nothing much to recommend about it. Fairly standard and written with average style.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 08:55:09 AM »
So, Joe. I take it you don't like The Wheel of Time?  :P

I recently finished reading The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu. A really great book about the advances in medicine since the 1930s and onward and how medicine fell at the end of the 70s.

Currently, I am reading The Ring of Fire by Eric Flint. It's a short story collection set in his alternate history 1632 setting.

Offline Ruther

• Warzone Deutschland
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
For very good heroic fantasy i can recomend David Gemmel. I love all his books.
In the SF area David Webber and John Ringo write some good stuff (if you are into military SF)
He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 01:28:56 PM »
Weber's Harrington books are a great series. Highly recommended for those who like military SF.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 05:22:44 PM »
Trying to find the time to read Les Miserables
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890