Author Topic: Robots and Us. How We can Exist in Harmony.  (Read 6282 times)

Iron Panda

Robots and Us. How We can Exist in Harmony.
« on: April 27, 2007, 05:35:48 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=451016&in_page_id=1770

Give them rights!?!?!

That's just crazy talk!

It's a toaster, for Pete's sake!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Robots and Us. How We can Exist in Harmony.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:43:27 AM »
I dont know. I mean if my car wants a lunch break Id be willing to consider it.  My car has a brain < the computer> a heart  < the engine> blood < gas> and as Josh pointed out in another post, decides it doesnt want to work, Id be FUBAR. I know I know a car doesnt THINK but it can learn. It can learn your driving habits, it can change the shift points on its own to match your driving style. Now cars can parallel park for you. So when does "learning" stop and " thinking" begin?
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
NEVER!  They are Godless constructs with no soul and no sense of morality!  By giving them rights we act as if we ourselves were God!  My cat is smarter than the greatest supercomputer currently functioning but I don't give him rights (he gives them to me).

The fall of man to the machines will be traced back to the first Apple O/S where you had to ask the computer to do something rather than command it.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Iron Panda

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
My cat is smarter than the greatest supercomputer currently functioning but I don't give him rights (he gives them to me).

Your cat is awesome! 

Iron Panda

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:00:20 AM »
NEVER!  They are Godless constructs with no soul and no sense of morality!  By giving them rights we act as if we ourselves were God!

Talk about humanity's hubris!  Pride goes before the fall, as a noted B5 sage succintly describes people.

Iron Panda

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:56:17 AM »
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6600965.stm[/url

Hmmm, looks like robots won't be more "intelligent" than humans anytime soon.

Veez, your'e right.  Your cat's smarter than a supercomputer.

Go Fluffy!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:51:08 AM »
Oh hell yes she's smarter.  While I was gone, she would let my wife sleep in until 8:00 am to get feed.  With me back she expects breakfast at 5:30 sharp!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
NEVER!  They are Godless constructs with no soul and no sense of morality!  By giving them rights we act as if we ourselves were God!

You mean Im not?  ???

So I guess when someone says "Goshdarnit"<keepin it clean here> to me  Its not a good thing?   ???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:16:00 AM by PhillySniper »
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Iron Panda

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:06:14 AM »
You mean Im not? 

So I guess when someone says "Goshdarnit"<keepin it clean here> to me  Its not a good thing?

Well, goshdarnit then!!! ;D ;D