Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 11246 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Thanks
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »
As I hit 1,000 posts, I thought about where I might put the actual 1,000th one.  At first, I figured, “I play UWZ, almost exclusively – I should put it there.”  Then I realized that this would make me feel that I was showing a disservice to my Chronopia buds, not to mention my fellow UWZ’ers who played both, and, of course, Excelsior.  Then, I felt that I was being narcissistic by thinking anyone would care where I put it.  Then I thought, “**** it, I’m using my 1,000th post how I want to use it.”  I use it to celebrate this community in the best way that I believe that I can.

First of all, thank you.  If you’re reading this, then the thanks is yours - there are just too damned many of you to thank by name.  (I am going to thank a few of you in name, later, as there are some of you who have the “special” pleasure of knowing me, personally, even if not in-person.)

I starting gaming almost three decades ago, and started playing this game at least six years ago.  Since joining this community some 5 (or so) years ago, I have managed to **** people off, have people point out that my armies are cheesy, get into flame wars, jumped upon my soapbox, and generally made a giant pain in the ass of myself.

I have a tendency to forget that emotion cannot, easily, be read in text.  I have an even bigger tendency to have a hard time backing down when I feel that I am right.  I have spouted off at the mouth on rules that I, fervently, believed in which I was right, only to have someone argue a point about which I felt that I could not, possibly, be wrong.

I told really bad jokes and made ridiculous observations.  Through all of that, you put up with my ways, and, on some occasions, indulged me.

I got into some pointless arguments, only having to extricate my foot from my mouth when I would offend you because I spoke before thinking (and I tried to remember to apologize when I did that).

I have played some of you.  I have lost some, and won some.  I have had fun doing both.

Through it all, I have never been more honored to be part of such a great bunch of players.  The community that you have built, here, is nothing short of amazing.  You stand for each other while keeping each other in check.  You hold community above the individual, yet hold the individual in the highest regard – no easy task.  You welcome new players and celebrate veterans.  You wear honor and friendship like hard-earned badges.

So, I say, “Thank you,” for including me.  I feel welcomed.  I feel befriended.  I feel that I am a part of something that matters, even if it matters only to us.

Thanks, Bryon.  Bryon Gray (PhillySniper) introduced me to Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel too many years ago to count.  We played the game until it needed replacing.  So, we replaced it, and played some more.  I picked up the second edition boxed set because of the MC: SotC games Bryon and I played.

Thanks, Jeff.  Jeff Dodge (jjdodger) came along and expressed interest in getting into a miniatures game.  I told him that I had one (Second Edition Warzone boxed set plus a few extra boxes of pewter squads) sitting around that I had not, yet, had a chance to learn and to play.  We wiped the dust off, and perused the rules.  Jeff decided to take the lead and learn the rules, in-depth.  After playing a few games, we decided to find some more stuff on the internet, and stumbled across Excelsior’s site.  A little investigation yielded that the EE office was less than 5 miles away – we had to go, and did.

Thanks, Thom.  The Big Kahuna, himself, made instant fans of Jeff and me.  He had the kind of outward friendliness and genuine interest in your words that you would not have expected from someone who was under the gun of getting out the much-demanded and anticipated UWZ.  It was at the offices that I first met John Tinney.

Thanks, John.  John increased my liking of the game two ways.  First, he went out of his way to be friendly and helpful.  Secondly, he schooled me in the first tourney in which I ever played without so much as dinner, beforehand, if you catch my drift.

There are several other people of note who made this game and this community a great place for me to hang out.  I know some of you, in person.  In no particular order, please, allow me to thank you guys:

Phil (Dragon62) Sperry – the man who has UWZ in his veins.
The Maplewood Crew – Steve (masherking) Garcia, Steve (Jibbajabbawocky) (aka Steve Too), and John (Iron Panda) – you guys rock, and keep it entertaining at all times.
Tim (luckyone) Lewicki – you gaming fool, you!
The Philly Crew – Josh (joshuaslater) Slater, Bill (wmeredith) Meredith, and Dalton.  You guys know how to throw down – thanks for throwing Talamania I together on a shoestring!

The forum’s replete with many lurkers, denizens and ne’er-do-wells, but the following people shine the light!  Thanks, folks:

PrivateJoe – man, I can’t wait to get across from the table with this guy!
Topkick – Hal, I am looking forward to raising that one with you, bud!
Wedge – it’s okay, we don’t think you moonlighting over at Paradox (well, not all of us ;))

Veez, Aldrien, and all you others you know I mean to say, but can’t remember, right now – thanks.

I have, over the years, come to the realization that it is not about winning, and not, even, how you play the game, but with whom you play and the fun you have.  I have had lots of fun, and plan to have lots more.

Thanks, guys.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »
Congrats on 1k Dave.

I'm looking forward to a game against you.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
D'OH!  And the 1,001st posting is one of apology (no surprise ;)).  My humblest of apologies - how could anyone forget Coil?  (I did)

Thanks, Coil.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
Allright Dave over 1000 now :o :o I'am still working at it.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:10:25 PM »
Congrats Dave!  1000 posts... wow...   :o ;D

I wonder if I'll ever get there.  Do deleted spam posts count toward my total?  If that were the case I think I would be breaking 1000 myself by now!   :-\

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »
Heh, Wedge, you gotta learn the art of, "Yeah," ";),"That's cool," and the many other monosyllabic answers to questions to build your post-count.  ;)

Wedge

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
Heh, Wedge, you gotta learn the art of, "Yeah," ";),"That's cool," and the many other monosyllabic answers to questions to build your post-count.  ;)

Ohhhh....

Sounds cool.

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »
No they dont count :'(
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »

Ohhhh....

Sounds cool.

That's it...good job!

Wedge

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 02:57:08 PM »

Ohhhh....

Sounds cool.

That's it...good job!

Getting the hang of this!!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 03:58:22 PM »
Welcome into the inner chamber of those who reach 1000th post.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »
No they dont count :'(

sure they do...see, the count just went up by one...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 04:47:34 PM »
Dude at your age it was inevitable that your post count would eventually catch up :)

Its been a long time since we started down the Warzone path and it has included many twists and turns. But The journey is what makes it fun, not the destination. COngrats on another milestone in life and gaming. I can think of no better a person or friend to say this to......."Not all farts are bad... You are a pretty great old fart!"   :D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »
Congratulations. It is guys like you that make coming here the highlight of my day. Keep up the good work.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Iron Panda

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
(Sniff, Sniff)

Getting all teary here.... ahem... just... a little dust in my eyes...

It's really cool that I got to know you.  Your'e good people and awesome is your infectious, booming laughter.

You are like that leader of the hawkmen in "Flash Gordon.".