Author Topic: Death Dealer comic by Image  (Read 16558 times)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Death Dealer comic by Image
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 04:04:11 AM »
Damn how did I go all this time without knowing that

Hmmm, maybe you were preoccupied with "Tiger Beat" and other 80's teen magazines, perhaps?

oh snap!
 :P
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
In the 80's there was a novel trilogy about the Death Dealer.   Very trashy, pulpy stuff.  Lots of violence and naked writhing women, taking place in a jungle valley that would eventually become the Mediteranean.

All in all, a great series. :)

I've got two of those somewhere. Hence my first post that the DD in the comic is not Gath of Baal, the character in the books. Say what you will, he is an evocative figure.

Jase

Derf! My bad!  :P

Gath is in fact, The Man, and the basis of every D&D barbarian I have ever played since then.

Well, him and Conan from the first film.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Iron Panda

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »
The first Conan was awesome and it pretty much stayed to form from the Marvel comic books.  I had a lot, I mean, I lot of them, the Marvel publications from the 80's and 90's anyway, Savage Sword series and bunch of other series.  I'm kicking myself now as I threw them all away with all my RPG books. :'( :'(

I have yet to read Robert Howard's novels, though. >:(

And who can forget:

Conan! What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
That is good! That is good.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:52:57 PM by Iron Panda »

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 01:53:22 AM »
that is a ripoff from Genghis Khan  ;D   8)
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Iron Panda

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 04:27:24 AM »
that is a ripoff from Genghis Khan

The movie even paid homage to Good old Khan, too.  In that scene, Conan was surrounded by Mongol warriors when the chief warlord asked him this question.

And besides, Conan was way more awesomer with his ripped Arnold Schwarzenegger body and harsh and commanding Bauhaus accent. ;D

Offline Jase

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
Man, now I need to go watch both films this weekend.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »
Oh yes, conan!

heīs the best heroe ever!

Of course the 1. film is better, but the second is also nice.

only a little bit to "soft" and willow-like  (which is also a nice movie)

oh, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan

Real people

Conan I (Le Torte), 927-992, duke of Brittany and of Rennes.  -> the not straight (?)
Conan II (Le Petit), ruled 1040-1066, duke of Brittany.  -> the small
Conan III (Le Gros) 1096-1148, duke of Brittany. -> the fat

;D ;D

p.s. thulsa doom is also cool

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:06:38 AM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Iron Panda

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
The first one is the best Conan movie of the two.  The second movie has a lackluster story line and boring characters.  The directors it seemed, just made up the characters to suit the persona of the popular "performers" of their time.  I mean, c'mon, Wilt Chamberlain, the basketball player and Grace Jones, the...whatever she does... bear tamer?.

Come to think of it, just watch the first one. 

only a little bit to "soft" and willow-like  (which is also a nice movie)

I remember Willow!  Willow was a nice movie, "sword-and sorcery lite" more like. It has a decent story line, great characters and character progression and it's way better than Conan The second one.

p.s. thulsa doom is also cool

I can't believe James Earl Jones did Doom's character so well!  Doom's a sadistic, evil, repugnant, megalomaniacal cult leader but those aside, he is calm, and collected and wasn't an over the top cliched bad guy.  That alone, made him more stand out  in the film.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:31:23 PM by Iron Panda »

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 05:05:35 PM »
Not a big fan of Willow.

Apparently, they fired the director for the second movie half-way through (or he quit-same thing).  You can see the results.

I will say, Thalsa Doom invented the first precision guided projectile with his guided snake arrows.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Iron Panda

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »
I will say, Thalsa Doom invented the first precision guided projectile with his guided snake arrows.

I have to say this is the most memorable power he has! (besides having a bevy of women in his thrall)

How cool is it to command a snake to straighten itself as an arrow and seek out your prey? 

Too bad all that magic and power at his beck and call does nothing to help him against the wrath of Arnold Schwarznegger!

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 07:35:17 AM »

Too bad all that magic and power at his beck and call does nothing to help him against the wrath of Arnold Schwarznegger!

Well, he did botch that Manipulation Roll at the end.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Wedge

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »

I have to say this is the most memorable power he has! (besides having a bevy of women in his thrall)

How cool is it to command a snake to straighten itself as an arrow and seek out your prey? 

By Crom I will avenge you!!!
 ;D

Iron Panda

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
I remember when Subotai and Conan were bragging which god they worship was greater:

Subotai: Ah, my god is greater.
Conan: Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.
Subotai: My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.

That was a funny scene.

Offline Jase

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »
Conan the Barbarian ranks as one of my favorite movies - John Milius did a great job capturing the feel of Howard's world and characters, while it wasn't any story from Howard I think R.E. would have liked this. It's a shame Milius didn't direct Destroyer, it would have been a lot better. I'd say the closest it was to a Howard story (as written by RE, not a pretender) was at the end with Conan fighting the demon, proving wizardry was no match for cold steel.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 10:48:41 AM »
I liked the Conan movies and if you like Arnold in Conan then of course you liked him in Red Sonja, and i also like Willow where else would you hear the statment "You are a great swordsman" being referred to Val Kilmer. ::)
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69