Author Topic: Death Dealer comic by Image  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Jase

Death Dealer comic by Image
« on: April 21, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »
Short review:

Was at my LCS this week, and grabbed this of the shelf. Pretty different to the Verotik version from the 90s, and not in continuity with the novels that were produced (have a couple of them). Death Dealer in this Image book does not go by Gath of Baal in name.

Starts off with two countries at war, and the Death Dealer not taking sides- he shows up, slaughters all and sundry then leaves. So the leaders hatch a plan with a covy of druids or wise men (not really discussed) to ensue peace between the two countries. Story goes on from there and events lead to the Death Dealer's rebirth (not wanting to give out spoilers, but bears similiar to the film Sleepy Hollow)

Have to say this is looking pretty good, the starting storyline is written fine, and the artwork is great too, certainly not in Frazetta's style but I like it, it's more standard fantasy than sword and sorcery barbarism. Added bonus also is a bio on Frank, and a blurb with pics of his museum at East Stroudsbourg PA.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Re: Death Dealer comic by Image
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »
Frazetta is the MAN!!!  I've gotten some crapy books just because Frank did the cover. :D  I never cared for the Death Dealer books myself, but LOVED the idea.  Glad to hear someone is doing it some justice.  I'll be sure to check it out.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »
Rankin and Bass the animators that did the original Hobbit cartoon did a animated movie called Fire and Ice that had franzetta's Deathdealer in it. JFYI ;D
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »
Yep, got that on DVD, but it was more based on his jaguar warrior. The first shot of him is pretty much Death Dealer pose.

"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 02:59:23 PM »
How old is the Fire and Ice movie?  Can you still find it in print anywhere?

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »
Its from 1983 and yes it was released last year.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
 I have had the new comic and it is very good to see Death Dealer back.
 The Fire and Ice film had Jaguar God in it and is one of my favorite animated films.
 Cell Entertainment were in the middle of doing a Death Dealer miniatures game.But they did not get around to releasing it before they stopped trading.I saw one miniature for the game which had Death Dealer on his horse rearing up.Very nice it looked. too.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:50 AM »
I vaugely remember a Ral Partha fig from a long time back-it may have been a knock-off though.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jase

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:32:21 AM »
I remember that figure - it was a two pack of one on horseback and the other standing with axe. I think they called it Chaos champion or something like that, and didn't think to buy then.

I'm certain that TSR's Warduke character was based on the Death Dealer though.

Jase

Iron Panda

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »
http://www.rackham-store.com/site/medias/DRCV01-GD.jpg

Looks like Rackham developers were inspired by Frazetta's work.

That brooding champion on horseback's quite memorable and is one of my faves.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:50:41 AM »
In the 80's there was a novel trilogy about the Death Dealer.   Very trashy, pulpy stuff.  Lots of violence and naked writhing women, taking place in a jungle valley that would eventually become the Mediteranean.

All in all, a great series. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
In the 80's there was a novel trilogy about the Death Dealer.   Very trashy, pulpy stuff.  Lots of violence and naked writhing women, taking place in a jungle valley that would eventually become the Mediteranean.

Damn how did I go all this time without knowing that
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Iron Panda

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 07:53:06 AM »
Damn how did I go all this time without knowing that

Hmmm, maybe you were preoccupied with "Tiger Beat" and other 80's teen magazines, perhaps?

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 08:20:15 AM »
Hmmm, maybe you were preoccupied with "Tiger Beat" and other 80's teen magazines, perhaps?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Tiger Beat's main target has always been girls ranging from the age of 10 to 19.

;D
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Jase

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »

I've got two of those somewhere. Hence my first post that the DD in the comic is not Gath of Baal, the character in the books. Say what you will, he is an evocative figure.

Jase