Author Topic: Template Attacks on Hidden Models  (Read 5834 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Template Attacks on Hidden Models
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:49:06 AM »
Ok another question from a Chonopia rookie.

If a hidden model is hit with a template attack, does that model suffer the effects of the template.

Example:
A warband of Flailers is being attacked by a Soulflayer. The Soulflayer uses Balefire to attack 3 Flailers. During the aiming of this attack, it crosses the unit card of a hidden model. Does that model have to save against a DAM 11 attack?

I think Josh can tell you what the unit was that was hidden. It has the ability to deploy up to 3" from the center of  the unit card. It was a single model and not a warband.

My feeling is that if the model hasnt deployed, and the attack wasnt aimed at the card <which it wasnt, it really was just a well placed shot> then the model that the card represents should have to make an armor save.

The other side of the coin is that since the model CAN BE anywhere within 3" of the card, he might not have been hit by the attack and thus shouldnt have to save.

Any thoughts?
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Template Attacks on Hidden Models
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:59:53 AM »
I'll have to check a rulebook but my personal feeling is that the fig is as yet unrevealed and therefore potentially not undrer the template. Therefore the fig should not be targeted. I'll check a book at some point and see if I hit the nail on the head or royally screwed up. In the meantime I am sure Southpaw will check in at some point and give you one of his insightful answer. If I'm wrong Jason, be gentle.  ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Wedge

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10:17 AM »
I am not sure where you are getting this w/in 3" rule?  Individuals and warband leaders have to be placed in the center of the card.  If your model happened to be under the template after being placed (but still hidden) it would be affected by the template.  If it was a warband then only the leader in the center would be affected and the remaining members of the warband could be scattered slightly to avoid the template.

Was this FAQ'ed (the 3" rule), I can't find any exceptions to this.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:39:38 AM »
It's one of the special abilities that The Scavenger has, and the Shadow Stalker for the Devout.  I always confuse them.  Stealth means you can move your whole move (not running) while hidden.  Stalk means you can be anywhere up to 3" from the center of the unit card.  Only individuals have this ability.  If the Stalking model gets into base to base contact it gets to be in the rear arc of the enemy if it's within its movement.  I was arguing, although not too vociferously, that the model is not even under the card for it to be affected by the Soul Flayers breath template.  Good luck trying that if a Hail of Arrows template deviated onto the card.  3" wouldn't make a difference and my poor Scavenger would be a pin cushion.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »
You can't aim at a hidden model but if it should happen to be caught by the template it will be affected.

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »
You can't aim at a hidden model but if it should happen to be caught by the template it will be affected.

Could you explain what you mean by caught? Do you mean if the template hits any part of the unit card before the unit is deployed or if the template hits the center of the unit card before the unit is deployed.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 11:22:25 AM »
Here's more confusion: The Stalking model is deployed even when it's hidden.  When it is spotted, or otherwise forced to be put on the board due to the template, the controlling player gets to put it up to 3" away from the center. 

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:25 AM »
Here's more confusion: The Stalking model is deployed even when it's hidden.  When it is spotted, or otherwise forced to be put on the board due to the template, the controlling player gets to put it up to 3" away from the center. 

The template doesnt force the unit to lose its hidden status, it just has to take an armor save. The difference between what you are saying and what I am saying is.... With yours the unit gets to use the ability to move 3" from the center of teh card. With mine he doesnt because he isnt actually being deployed.

In our situation you were able to deploy because the flayer was close enough for you to do so but say instead of the balefire flame template it was the firebomb template where the alchemist wasnt close enough for you to get into B2B with but the template still touched your card. I definately think that you would then be effected by the template.

Im trying to get this clear to help refine my tactics, with what I can or cannot expect to happen. Thx for the help all.

Homebase- Philadelphia

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Page 88 under Hide answers the question clearly. A model can still take damage while hidden, if for exsample, a template i centered on a nearby visible model and a part of the template covers the hidden model.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »
It's Stalk that is giving us agita.  Someone help my spelling too, please.   ::)

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 01:06:33 PM »
Page 88 under Hide aslo mentions Stalk.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69