Author Topic: Spell Templates  (Read 7928 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Spell Templates
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »
     I have a question about spells that use templates.  Say you are casting a vortex, blizzard, or quicksand into a building or an area between 2 parallel walls, and the area covered by the template is greater than the area of the space.  My question is do the spell templates "shrink" to fit, and by that I mean do the effects of the spell only take place inside the building or between the walls?

I would say yes.  Athough there are a couple of spells I'm not sure of.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
Re: Spell Templates
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:11:45 AM »
The template "shrinks" to fit the size of the passage, that is that areas of the template outside the corridor have no effect.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Wedge

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:17 AM »
Not to contradict you SP, but I think this question deserves more attention.  There is more information needed to determine a correct answer.

I am guessing that SP's answer is based on an assumption that it is an actual enclosed space... like an interior corridor of a fortress or building.  If not, then you have several situations that could result.

Are the walls outside... like two ruined walls parallel to each other but open to the sky?

In this case I would say Sandstorm and Vortex spells (and the like) would extend over and beyond the walls.  Quicksand might as well.

If it is a covered corridor then how was the spell cast into it?  Is the spell caster inside the tunnel?  If he's outside the tunnel was he able to gain LOS to target the spell inside it?

As you can see, there are many variables to consider.  Please define your question a little more DogOWar so we can better explain.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »
Yes I am assuming a completely enclosed area. If we consider that is not the case, the situation becomes more complex.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
Given Wedge's example I would have to ask about dead space. If any spell like sandstorm or vortex would extend over the wall and back down then by applying logic (BAD Topkick) the area near the wall would be in the lee of the wind (protected by the wal)l and provide a place to escape the effects or at least have the effect lessened. Much like the firing from elevation creates a dead space where the archers cannot fire at figs that are within x inches of the building. As for quicksand - it would work mych like chasm and simply swallow the wall and all thus negating the structure or at least a part of it.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
In the above example the building is enclosed and the walls are open to the sky.  Yes, the spellcaster must have LOS, otherwise he/she could not cast the spell.  Lets look at a couple of examples, shall we:

Vortex-- A warp lord casts a vortex between 2 parallel walls(open to sky), but the template extends beyond the wall(s).  Does it shrink to fit?  Under the spell it says that it is stopped(deviation) by any solid terrain.  Is the Vortex effectivly "locked" in place?  Do the walls take damage?

Now imagine the same thing but, it is cast at a warband hiding in a hut which is smaller than the template.  Does the hut get sucked down to the 7th level of hell? 

Sandstorm--  A Priestess casts a sandstorm into a hut(enclosed), thru the door, at a warband(don't ask why this is just an example :)).   So in effect is the sandstorm now contained in the hut(no deviation)?  What if your warband was hiding behind a wall and a sandstorm moved over them from the other side of the wall, does "dead ground" apply?

Ring of Fire-- same situation as Vortex.  Does ring go thru walls? 

Thats it for now, I have to get my Son.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:30:41 AM »
Shameless bump. If you guys would look at my last post, I'd appreciate your input.  Thanks.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
Here's my take on them.

1. Vortex vs. Walls

In this scenario, if the template crosses 2 parallel walls that are open to the sky, I would rule that yes the vortex does cross the walls. Low walls are NOT Impassable, they are Limiting, so the Vortex is free to move. The walls would take Damage as any other model would, but me personally I would not have them moved aside if they made their armor save.

2. Vortex vs Hut

Same situation. Structures of this type are not Impassable, so the Vortex is free to move. The Warband and the Hut will take Damage, but again for simplicity sake I personally would not move the Hut if it survived.

3. Sandstorm vs Hut

The rules for stopping at impassable terrain in Vortex are NOT in Sandtorm, so the template is free to move.  The Sandstorm is not enclosed in the hut. I would rule that any model touched by the template is affected. Picture the Sandstorm as an all encompassing area, thus I would not apply any "dead ground" rules (generally the only time I apply those rules are for firing from a height, per the rulebook).

4. Ring of Fire vs Walls

Nothing to suggest otherwise, so I would say yes, as the spell states "A ring of fire is formed around the target area or model".

SP

In the above example the building is enclosed and the walls are open to the sky.  Yes, the spellcaster must have LOS, otherwise he/she could not cast the spell.  Lets look at a couple of examples, shall we:

Vortex-- A warp lord casts a vortex between 2 parallel walls(open to sky), but the template extends beyond the wall(s).  Does it shrink to fit?  Under the spell it says that it is stopped(deviation) by any solid terrain.  Is the Vortex effectivly "locked" in place?  Do the walls take damage?

Now imagine the same thing but, it is cast at a warband hiding in a hut which is smaller than the template.  Does the hut get sucked down to the 7th level of hell? 

Sandstorm--  A Priestess casts a sandstorm into a hut(enclosed), thru the door, at a warband(don't ask why this is just an example :)).   So in effect is the sandstorm now contained in the hut(no deviation)?  What if your warband was hiding behind a wall and a sandstorm moved over them from the other side of the wall, does "dead ground" apply?

Ring of Fire-- same situation as Vortex.  Does ring go thru walls? 

Thats it for now, I have to get my Son.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  Sounds pretty agreeable to me.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »
     A quick question:  What template is used for the "Ring of Fire" spell.  Also, how wide is the actual "ring"?  Is it 1" or does flame fill the entire ring?  I always took it as a "band" of fire surronding an area, but don't know if theis is correct.

I would appreciate help on this one.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:19 PM »
I found one in the 1st edition rule book, but don't know if it is current.  I know that some of the templates changed form 1st to 2nd.