Author Topic: Flying vehicles and ranged combat  (Read 4693 times)

Wulfen

Flying vehicles and ranged combat
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:15:26 AM »
The rule states that when someone targets an airborne vehicle, they add the elevation die to the range to get actual range, and then in the next sentence it says vehicles will do likewise and reverse the formula. Maybe it's just me, but that confused the heck out of me. Can someone elaborate?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Flying vehicles and ranged combat
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:37:21 AM »
Same thing, Add the height of the Flyer to the distance between bases.  You're just reversing the order of your adding....

...or something

yeah it's the same for both ways... some adding and distancing... and erm... just roll dice.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:28:50 AM »
Personally I have a group without too much fear of math, and we usually have a calculator handy, so we prefer to break out a little pythagorian theorum and find the actual linear distance to the flyer, rounding to the nearest integer value.  It just makes more sence and feels more real to us that way.

But yes Joe is correct you use the same method for accounting for the range between the flyer and the ground pounder regardless of which was doing the firing.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:29 PM »
yeah, we used to do it the hard way.  We'd measure where the model was supposed to be, relatively, then we'd hold it there and measure directly from the correctly placed model to the target.  Then some fliers got extremely long ranged weapons
and it just got silly from there.

so yeah add the heigth to the distance.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Psyborg

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 06:28:22 AM »
My group all have tape measures and rulers handy.

Put the ruler where the flyer is measure from the firing unit to the proper height on the ruler and that is the range.

Simple and easy to do without calculators.