Author Topic: Paint  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
Re: Paint
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 10:45:50 AM »
Canadian distributors don't always go with a simple conversion, gang. I can rattle off a list of stuff that Canadian distributors have jacked up, seemingly for the hell of it, but I know better and it could be due to shipping, customs, whatever. Anyways, I've found that Vallejo paints are too thin and don't give good enough coverage. Thicker paints can be thinned easily enough and I have a habit of thinning my paints anyways. I like the eyedropper format for the paints, however and think they're brilliant.

Offline Spagg

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 12:28:43 PM »
I have used Vallejo exclusively until Reaper released their Master Series. I really like these paints. One reason is that they already have a "flow improver" added (you don't need to thin them down). I also like the triad system of colors they use. They have really made shading and highlighting a bit easier.

I would recommend either Vallejo or the Reaper Master Series.

Offline Firefly

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »
I've been painting for a long time and , I use it all.  Vallejo (game & model color), GW (old flip top pots, screw tops, new flip tops, eye dropper inks), Ral Partha (now Iron Wind Metals), and Reaper (both bottles and eye droppers).

Vallejo are really nice, I picked up some and love them, they've got a great selection of paints for doing camo.  I'm a big fan of these as I paint historical minis from time to time and Vallejo works really well for this purpose.  The GW paints are alright, I like them because they tend to be thick and cover well, I haven't picked many up recently simply because I like what I'm seeing in the Vallejo line.  Also the GW screw tops simply blew, the bottles wouldn't reseal, paint dried out after one use...  The Parthas I've stuck with simply because I like the line of flesh tones they had, needless to say before they went under I bought lots of extras.  Some of the Reaper screw tops (Pro Paints I think) are nice, their Gunmetal is a new favorite.  At GENCON this year I picked up four packs of the their new eye dropper line (Master Paints...) and like what I've seen so far.  They make these great three packs for people who don't like mixing paint, each pack comes with a dark, a medium, and a light color for easy highlighting.  Typically I'll prime with GW primer, paint with all sorts of paint lines, and then seal with Testor's Dull Coat.

I've found in my years of painting that paints and inks from certain companies are better than others paints and inks from other companies.  It sounds strange I know, but it is true. 

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 07:10:11 AM »
Which line has the best metalics?  The Apple Barrel & co aren't up to snuff and other than GW, the only metallics I dealt with were the long-defunct Ral Partha paints.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline JohnL5555

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »
  I paint for a living. i own oevr a 1000 jars of paint from just about everyone. I find different ones meet different needs for some of my projects. I still prefer Americana, Creamcoat and Folk Art. I have loads of Apple Barrel but it seems to be lower quality than the others. I also like some of the shades that Musket miniatures paints have. Some of the older Armory colors were good (bottles were terrible, though). Partha had some good colors, too.

Thanks,

John

Offline Stalker

• FAQ Team
  • Mid-west Crusader / FAQ team member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 11:44:10 PM »
Good to see you back on the forums John.  Welcome back.
If you shoot for the moon and miss, you are still among the stars.

Offline dragonlordgames

• Mr. Natural 20.
    • Dragonlord Games Germany
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 11:03:39 AM »
I like Vallejo best, but use Citadel Paints + Cout dŽarmes + REAPER Master Series in addition.
Got Miniatures ?

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 07:57:48 PM »
I've been getting more and more of the Vallejo paints lately, as I really like the dropper bottle design and the fact that they are a little more diluted than GW paints...I still use the GW paints, partially because I've been using them for years, but partially because they have a wide variety of colors available 9BTW, the new pots are MUCH better than the old screw-tops)...

As for metallics, I do like the Vallejo metallics, but I've found that for a deep-metallic look, Testors has released a new line of Acryl paints that really stand out (like a Chrome paint that can be Buffed, perfect for Mirrormen)...there is also a Japanese company that is available at a hobby shop up here that seems to have a good, metal flake texture (I'm going there tomorrow, so I'll get the name)...

B.
time to paint the minis...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline BlackieX

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
I'm definitely in the minority, I realize, but I've never been terribly impressed with Vallejo Model Color or Game Color.

Personally, my preferences are for Foundry's paints, with Reaper Master Series coming in a close second.  For some colors, though, I still prefer GW- Bleached Bone and especially Chaos Black, for example (Chaos Black is my favorite black of any manufacturer- I love the slightly satin finish it dries to).  Adikolor are nice, too- I like the pigment level in them over Vallejo since it seems to lend itself to subtler blends and better color mixing.

Overall, my current paint setup in the US consists of about 20 Reaper Master Paints (6 triads, Adamantium Black, and brush-on primer), a few Folk Arts "Artist Pigments" (which are really quite nice- much nicer than the standard Folk Art craft paints.  I definitely wanna get some of these), a handful of regular Apple Barrel craft paints, some old-school fliptop Citadel paints (from the first Tyranid Paint Set), a few Partha Paints (with a few I need to get again, like the pearlescent metallic Sky Blue), and some Citadel inks.

Once I get paid this weekend, I'm planning on buying another 30 or 40 Reaper Master paints and a few Citadel paints (namely, Chaos Black, TinBitz, and Terracotta, which I believe they've re-released), and eventually, some Coat d'Arms colors, and some Foundry palettes.

My painting setup in France* is entirely GW Fliptop paints, currently, but will change if/when I buy more and/or unify the two collections of paint.

Oh, and since this is my first post- hi, I'm Scott, aka BlackieX.  Been following Warzone since it was Mutant Chronicles, and just a line of figures from Heartbreaker (two Pretorian Stalkers with clawed feet rather than heavy armoured boots, the snake-headed nepharite, the big, muscular nepharite, three Venusian Rangers, and eventually, a couple undead legionaires [especially the one with the buzzsaw arm!] and some Cartel Agents) without a game to go with it.  Played the RPG as soon as it was released, bought Blood Berets on pre-order, have owned three different copies of Siege Of The Citadel, have Fury of the Clansmen here somewhere, and the first three novels.

So, yeah, you could say I'm a big fan of Mutant Chronicles and by extension, Warzone. :)

Anyway, nice to meet you.

* Oh yeah- I live in Ohio in the United States half of the year, and spend the other half of the year in France, with my fiancee (who's French).

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
Some of those older figs (I have most of the ones you are talking about) are better than the later sculps, especially the older Mortificator.  Of course there are some that could have used a resculp (the much maligned Imperial Flying Goon).  I wanted to get the old Cyber Doomtrooper to use as Coral Beach but kept missing the boat on that one.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline BlackieX

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 01:22:01 PM »
Some of those older figs (I have most of the ones you are talking about) are better than the later sculps, especially the older Mortificator.  Of course there are some that could have used a resculp (the much maligned Imperial Flying Goon).  I wanted to get the old Cyber Doomtrooper to use as Coral Beach but kept missing the boat on that one.

Actually, the ones I'm talking about are from well before those figures, too- these came on baby blue cards, with "Mutant Chronicles" on them in yellow.  The two Pretorian Stalkers, in particular, are (in my opinion) the best Stalker miniatures ever released- one sporting a minigun (re-released as the Praetorian Enforcer by EE), and one sporting a Scythe Of Semai.  Great, great figures... I need to replace the one with the Scythe Of Semai, however, since a friend of mine managed to step on it somehow (which leads to the question "How did it get on the floor in the first place?" but, apparently, it "magically" appeared there.  Whatever.).  For the most part, the humans're a bit smaller than the Warzone figs, but they still mix okay, by and large- I'm a proponent of "different people are different sizes" theory, when it comes to scale variation in figures. :)