Author Topic: Paint  (Read 17913 times)

Offline bauhaus_blitz

Paint
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:21:07 PM »
what is the word on paint preferences around here ? Does anyone actually exclusively use apple barrel, folk art or ceramcoat ?  What about the new reaper line?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:44:35 PM »
I think your asking about what paint we use for minis.

ok as the paint of choice go's I use is gw paint.
So far its the only paint I like.
I've tried reapers paint ( year or so ago) I found the colors to dull and the paint bit too thick for my liking.

A buddy of mine used off the shelf paints ( kids paints and acrylic paints) to be honest I thought they made the minis look really bad; way too thick and much to shiney.

there is a line of paints that begins with a " V "...  veajro ( spelled something like that ) I've heard some people liking it alot. I havent used it myself so I cant really say.

So in a nutshell GW really does make good paint with a really good color selection.

hope this helps

-steve

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:07:15 PM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 01:55:36 PM »
I prefer Vallejo paints hands down over the rest.

The two lines, model and game color, equal and surpass GW's paint lines on all accounts.

it thins nicely due to a high pigment content and the coverage with difficult colors (ie yellows) is unmatched.

The eyedropper bottle negates the paint film that forms on gw's pots as well as aides in mixing.

It doesn't yellow over time (as far as I've noticed)

it's cheaper than GW paints.

Apple Barrel are actualyl fairly good paints and the majority of their downfalls, limited color selection and sometimes spotty consistancy are offset by their ridiculously cheap price tag.

GW - overpriced for only mediocre quality.  Use them if you have them but get a hold of vallejo Game colors as soon as you can.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »
I use Folk Art, Its cheap, and, given my painting abilities, etc, it does what i want it to do (put paint on the model so its not primer black anymore)

Wedge

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:44:28 PM »
I am posting only to reinforce PVT Joe's post.  I too have found Vallejo paints very high quality.  However, since I am on a limited budget, 90% of my paint supplies come from folk art, creamcoat, and apple barrel simply for the cost.  I have had MANY bottles of those brands last me several years without much loss in quality.  I have never tried reaper paints, and I do have some GW metallics because the cheaper metallics are crap.

If you buy any Vallejo paints the best to buy are whites, yellows, and creams because these colors are the hardest to paint over other colors with.  Vallejo has a really high pigment content and I have found that they cover better than any other brands of the same color.  Since I prime everything black... this works out best for me.

Your best bet is to find what you are willing to pay for and then settle on quality within your budget... that's what I did anyway.  I have about $80 worth of painting supplies that have collectively lasted me more than 5 years.

Offline mchiao

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:14:52 PM »
I've used Testor's Model Master Acrylic, Ceramcoat, DeccoArt, Armory, Ralpatha, PollyScale and GW.  I like PollyScale the best then Testor's then Ceramcoat/DeccoArt.  I'm using Ceramcoat/DeccoArt on most of my Warzone/Chronopia and pretty happy with it.  The only thing I dont like about Ceramcoat/DeccoArt is I have to paint a few coats to get a nice result.  Where ModelMaster is just 1 coat.  ModelMaster also has the protective thing in the paint so wont chip that easy.  The rest will chip rather easily and definitely needs to be coated with MatteFinish.

I started using Ceramcoat because it has lots of color and it was 50% at the local Arts and Craft store.  79 cents per 2 ml.  Can't go wrong with that... :-)

Offline TwoGunBob

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »
Exclusively craft paint here. The Americana line is particularly nice as well as Delta Ceramcoat. Apple Barrel really don't have enough pigment to suit me on their reds and yellows but I've never noticed a difference if I'm using vallejo, citadal, or .88 cent craft paint.
Currently playing:
Bow House: Saggy Old Ellie
Dark Lesion: Ill Ian, Whored
Empirical: I D... Ef' Em

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 05:20:04 AM »
I still have quite a few bottles of GW paints, but I prefer Vallejo and I haven't bought a GW paint in a long time (never will again).

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 06:14:15 AM »
damn Guys I'm going to have to look into this vallejo paint,
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 11:35:10 AM »
My brother and I prefer Vallejo for the great paint and wide selection. The Reaper Master series paints are also very great, In my opinion they are the only paints that rival vallejo and price for price they are about the same. Another good paint is Adiken's Adikolor but they are a little less pigmented than the other two but that causes it to be cheapier. But a major over looked fact in mini painting is brush quality. The only way to go is Vallejo's brushes or the God of brushes Winsor Newton Series 7, they are a little pricey but well worth it. And if you don't have a store that sells them then go to Dick Blicks website, they sell 'em real cheap.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline mchiao

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »
My brother and I prefer Vallejo for the great paint and wide selection. The Reaper Master series paints are also very great, In my opinion they are the only paints that rival vallejo and price for price they are about the same. Another good paint is Adiken's Adikolor but they are a little less pigmented than the other two but that causes it to be cheapier. But a major over looked fact in mini painting is brush quality. The only way to go is Vallejo's brushes or the God of brushes Winsor Newton Series 7, they are a little pricey but well worth it. And if you don't have a store that sells them then go to Dick Blicks website, they sell 'em real cheap.

I couldn't agree more.  It's all about the brush!  Get a sable brush and not the taklon.  Sable is stiffer then camel but softer than taklon.  IMHO.

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 06:22:40 PM »
I use Citadel Color, not only because they're thicker than any others I've used it's CHEAPER! That's right...I said it. Vallejo is $5 a bottle Canadian for 3 mL more paint while GW paint is $4.25 a bottle.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:05:57 PM »
Good heavens!  five dollars a bottle?

I pay half that.

literaly

gotta get you a place to shop that doesn't require both legs and the first born.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 11:20:17 PM »
Well, he is talking about Canadian $. But even accounting for that it seems he's paying too much.

Around here GW paints cost 30 kronor (US$3.80) and Vallejo 25 (US$3.17). So the choice is easy pay less for more paint and a better bottle or go and buy GW paint.

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »
I'm going to throw my hat in with what seems is a growing majority and announce my preference for Vallejo.  The paint quality is superb: it thins better than any paint I've used before, covers completely, allows for incredible wet blending if you throw some retarder into your thinning mix.  Personally I prefer the model color line to the game color, because of color selection, the model color line has more of the down and dirty real world kinds of colors I prefer for my warzone minis, fewer purples, yellows and florescents and more earthtones, and greens.