Author Topic: anyone else see 300...  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
anyone else see 300...
« on: March 11, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
just curious about other people's opinions about the movie...

overall, I liked the movie, but there were some very comic-ish licenses taken, but good nonetheless...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Brother Jim

Re: anyone else see 300...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:28:37 PM »
That would be because it was based on a comic book by Frank Miller. ;D

I really liked it a lot.
Fear my ability to teleport hand grenades into your pants..........without the pin or spoon !!!!

Ebay alias: sweettooth32

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »
Excellent film on many levels.

First just flat out great entertainment. The movie was about 2 hrs long but I never noticed the passage of time. Totally fantastic.

Second the one liners. The smart-alek in me loved the fantastic lines constantly being bantered about. Such as:
- "We will blot out the sun with our arrows....then we will fight in the shade."
- "This will not be quick, it will not be pleasant, and you will not enjoy it"
- "May you live a long life"
Totally great placement and delivery.

Third, some great lessons on the cost of freedom and other moral and ethical questions. The only thing they could have done better was if the hunchback had not betrayed them to Xerxes. They had a fantastic opportunity to teach the most important lesson - That while a warrior's body is a great asset, it is a warrior's spirit that is indispensible. However they managed to convey a similar lesson. Leonidas drove it home when he delivered the line "May you live a long life" to the hunchback at the end of the movie. The way it ws delivered managed to convey that it was the hunchback's lack of inner strength that kept him from being a Spartan not his mis-shapen body. Well done but not as good as it could have been.

As my only complaint is minor and based off my personal hatred of society's continued attempt to denigrate those who do not fit a preconceived notion of what beauty and bravery are, I must enourage everyone to see this movie at least once if not multiple times
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 05:46:15 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
well...supposedly the line "then we will fight in the shade" is a historical line...maybe not said the same way, but somebody on the History Channel in a special I saw Sat evening alluded that that was something that was actually said....

most of my problems with the movie were stupid and nit-picky...like the fact that whoever did the animation on the animals had never seen the scale of some of those animals in relation to an actual human...another was the fact that Xerxes looked like he was about 8 feet tall...I guess they were going for the living god angle...

other than that, I thought that it was a good movie...I never noticed that the movie was 2 hours long until it was over...

B...

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
Hello.

I saw it with Joshslater and Dalton today. The we will fight in the shade line was said, by Leonidas himself to Xerxes messenger who demanded his surrender.  Though my favorite scene was the one where they are killing the Persian wounded and Leonidas says they at least can be civil about meeting Xerxes.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »
A friend of mine received a promotional package and included in a sealed pack was a condom covered in fake blood, what is that about?

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:29:45 AM »
bunch of buddies of mine and I went to go see it.
Loved every minute of it.
Every moment in that movie was a money shot.

Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:31:39 AM »
Actually Sylvas I believe Xerxes was faithful to the description in the graphic novel
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 05:37:02 AM »
Framk Millars grahic novels making it into hot money making movies wonder how much of his past works is being raided by hollywood now.

Hell his RoboCop with a r-rating would rock.
and dare to dream...DarkNight Returns, damn that movie would be epic...EPICCCCC!!!!!!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Actually Sylvas I believe Xerxes was faithful to the description in the graphic novel

he is...I have a copy of the graphic novel, and the actor is very true to form to the way Frank Miller made him in the graphic novel...the only difference is that even in the graphic novel, there isn't that big of a difference between Leonidas and Xerxes as far as size...part of this is because Leonidas is drawn to be bigger than the Spartans in his command, but even still, I thought that Xerxes was a little bigger than he should have been...

B...

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »

he is...I have a copy of the graphic novel, and the actor is very true to form to the way Frank Miller made him in the graphic novel...the only difference is that even in the graphic novel, there isn't that big of a difference between Leonidas and Xerxes as far as size...part of this is because Leonidas is drawn to be bigger than the Spartans in his command, but even still, I thought that Xerxes was a little bigger than he should have been...

B...

if thats the case I would say the director showed good sense in making XerXes as big as he did.
Total gave a visional to the whole God King by doing so. It also makes Leonidas more heroic, as he standS up against this giant god king.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:08:12 AM by masherking »

Offline Jase

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 04:33:51 AM »
I'll see it when it hits our shores. Haven't read the graphic but no matter. I've got "The 300 Spartans" thought that was pretty good.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »
if that's the movie I'm thinking of, it was pretty good, but this movie is very visually appealing, has well developed and powerful characters, and you don't notice the passage of time until it's over..

B...

Offline Jase

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 01:21:26 AM »
Yah, I've seen the flyers for it in Phantom Zone (local comic shop) have not heard much from it yet.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline Rorik36

• Journeyman
  • Michigan Crusader
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 04:32:02 AM »
most of my problems with the movie were stupid and nit-picky...like the fact that whoever did the animation on the animals had never seen the scale of some of those animals in relation to an actual human...another was the fact that Xerxes looked like he was about 8 feet tall...I guess they were going for the living god angle...

Remember, the whole movie is Dilios telling a story the night before the battle.  Everything is described larger than life in a campfire story.  When I started looking at the movie with that in mind I was really blown away by how well it was done, not that I wasn't blown away already. :)  Xerxes' headsman was the one were I realized this was going on.  I could see him saying, "A monstrosity of a man with blades for hands."

I haven't seen a movie twice at the theater in a long time (Equilibrium was the last), but this is one that I might go see a third time at the theater.
---------------------------------------------------------
Rules are only useful to tell you what your opponent won't do. - Casey and Andy