Author Topic: Elven House of the Howling Moon  (Read 11891 times)

Offline Glenn M

Elven House of the Howling Moon
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »
Well since I am picking up whole new elven army in addition to the multitude I already have, I am committed to painting the whole army in a single color scheme.  Now, I will have figured from every faction of elves, so am trying to make a nice scheme that kinda works for all the various armies. 
Right now, my base idea is a night army.  Icons would be the moon and wolves. 

Anyways, give me some input.  BTW I am going to be making the shield icons into decals so I don't have to hand paint them.  It'll be my first try with the the Testors Decal kit, but hopefully it will work well. 

EDIT:  Here is where I stand thusfar for minis and fluff and units.
Painted Miniatures
4x Spearmen
1x Spearmen Leader
1x Swordsmen
5x Unfinished figures

Fluff
Elven House of the Howling Moon
   The House of the Howling Moon was accidentally founded many hundred of years ago.  An abandoned Elven outpost in the Iridol Forest, became their city.  When the outpost was first started it was some fifty or so soldiers, placed there by House Helios.  Once they came under siege by a ravenous pack of giant wolves the wolves circled their outpost for months and communication was cut to House Helios.  Helios simply counted the soldiers as dead and forgot the outpost. 
   However, the elves did not die, their numbers dwindled to a mere half their original amount, however the soldiers pressed on.  Eventually the wolves finally left, it is unknown exactly why they besieged the outpost, and the reasons the wolves left are equally unknown.  The soldiers realized they had been abandoned so they decided to do what they could to survive.  A leader was chosen, Ku-lun Wolfkin.  Named after the wolves he lived with so long, Ku-lun proposed the wolves purpose was to help them, not to cause harm. 
   Over time the House grew and took on a name, House of the Howling Moon was selected in honor of the wolves and the lunar light which they have become so accustomed.  This lost forest has become their home, and they have become friends with the wolves from the forest.  Over the last few hundred years the house has flourished, keeping true to their ancient traditions and forging their own new ones.  That is, until the Devout came to their sacred home. 
   Without cause the Devout encroached into the forest and started corrupting the trees and wild beasts who made it their home.  The elves retaliated fiercely and attempted to drive the Devout out, and they managed to just that.  However with their victory, they realized they could not remain isolated any longer.  They have begun to leave their forest haven and into the world, forging peace with some, and creating war with others.  They have began to battle fiercely with House Helios, their feelings of abandonment have carried all these years, Helios, jealous of the overall success of the new House, demands fealty.    The Dwarven clans have found kinsmen in the House of the Howling Moon, especially the Wolf Clan and Dragon Clan. 
   Now in this new age, the House of the Howling Moon makes it's way through the world, uncertain of it's path, but determined to save it's sacred home from the transgressors who would destroy it.

Game Information
   The House of the Howling Moon may not take any Dragonbane units, they are unable to procure the mounts needed.  The House of the Howling Moon does not have Lotus Eater's per say either.  They do have a unit that fills a similar role however, the Aspects of the Wolf, these priests often wear similar clothes to those of the Lotus Eater and may use divine magic as given by the wolf deities.  They may take the following special units, Wolf Packs, Totem Warriors, Wolf Riders, and Aspects of the Wolf.

Later,
Glenn
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:59:21 AM by Glenn M »

Offline Glenn M

Re: New Elven Army
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:52:42 PM »
Well, I started painting a couple, while I took some pictures, the colors came out botched.  My camera is pretty shoddy, hopefully I can get my Sister in law over with her very nice camera. 
All I have done so far is two spearmen, I'll hopefully have a unit or two done in a week or so, I am on Spring Break so I should be able to get some painting done.  Oh, I should note, they look great.

Later,
Glenn

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »
I like this idea.  I painted a bunch of Elves in dark purple tabards and used Reapers metallic purple for the army.  I was hoping to use this scheme to double up the use of them for Crystal Lotus and as a smaller group from the Obsidian Serpent House.  They actually hurt the eyes in a good way on the table.  I like where you're going with the idea of this smaller house.   Maybe one of Reaper's Lupines or Rackham's Wolfen would be good for your werewolf hero in full effect.

Pics.

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »
Actually the Tabbards and shields are all that is purple, the other secondary color is a moon orange color (it's hard to describe) and the armor and such is simply a dull silver.  I also went with a grey fleshtone, mixing in a hint of purple for the shallows below their cheekbones.  When highlighting, mix in a tinge of orange, to give the look of under starlight.  I'll try to get the colors loaded up with a program soon so you can see the colors.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »
I am still working on this I have whipped up a full unit of Spearmen and am starting some swordsmen now.  I have started a new habit of painting for at least 20 minutes a day, as it helps me relax. 

Right now the jist of the House is that they were founded from an outpost which was essentially abandoned.  The outpost was besieged by a pack of giant wolves cutting off all supplies and communication, when the founding House stopped attempting to communicate the wolves left and haven't been seen since.  The outpost realized they were on their own and a leader was chose and they founded the house.  Over time they became independent and built their culture in this forgotten place.  The wolves who cut them off became their deities.  And their house grew, the became the House of the Howling Moon, in honor of the wolves who created them and the moon who became their sight over time.  You see the forest was dark most all the time, and only the light of the moon could penetrate the thick canopy, their eyes became white with time and can see best at night.  Then the Devout came to their forests door.  The House of the Howling Moon will be active in the world for the first time.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
So, are your Howl'n Moons going to have wolf riders?
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:10:37 PM »
Yes, yes they are.  If I can get the figures, they will be replacing Dragonbane as the house does not have access to them, and considers them a corruption of nature.

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:17:18 PM »
Hello.

Have you looked at GW's Doomwolf for the VC range. It may be what you are looking for.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »

Vampire Dire Wolf, D&D Unhallowed set.  eBay price: $2 or less.

Yeah, I think we have a winner.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »
I'm generally not a D&D mini fan, but I like their wolves.  I think I will probably get their timberwolves to use as warhounds for my Shadow Tribe.   I can't wait to see your conversions for the Howler's.  You going to use the same stats as the Knight or Warkiller?
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
No I figure Ill decrease their armor a bit, maybe boost some of the other stats, perhaps speed.  I figure a wolf won't be able to carry as much as the Dragonbane.  I'll most likely be using timber wolves for a wolf pack unit.  I need a werewolf, and while i like the one from the new DnD set, it is simply going to be too expensive.

As it is rare, you have to figure some $10-$20 depending on popularity.

Offline Glenn M

Re: Elven House of the Howling Moon
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
I added the current fluff to the first post and added a bit about where I am in painted miniatures and such.  I still haven't printed off the decals as I haven't gotten it all figured out yet, it is a matter of making sure they print out to the correct scale, which is pretty hard, and I don't want to waste any of the paper.

Later,
Lotus

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »
If you decide not to do your own I think Dom's Decals does custom work. They can be found at TheMiniaturesPage.com in the directory

Dom's Decals - Home of the Dancing Banana
https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:08:27 AM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:59 PM »
I noticed that the requests link does nothing :)
I'll just do them myself, since the I am not doing any color or anything it should be fairly easy.

Iron Panda

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
The icon's awesome!  Love the fluff as well. Can't wait to see the  stats for the new units and description of the spells!