Author Topic: The Must units?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Ravenous

The Must units?
« on: February 26, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »
I just got back to the game, and I started to work on my army lists.

Currently, I have elves and devout. My elf force doesn't include currently militia at all. I just don't have the models, and I wouldn't care to use them at all. It's just that I've been playing wargames quite long time now and I totally understand the value of cheap and expendaple units.
So is it possible to write an armylist without them? I was planing something like big unit of spears with standard boosting their defence, or LD taking charges, smaller unit of axemen with just axemaster supported by obsidian guard flanking the units charging spears, supported by archers and black lotus eater. I'd love to fit warkiller or flying dragonbane to bigger lists.

also, I have small devout force, currently I have min unit of swordmen, 4 dark eyes and 4 cursed and warped lord. and I don't like swordmen models at all(specialy the one hiding his sword behind his back). I could have force near 500 with just warped lord, 6 cursed and 4 dark eyes.
It's very elite force, but the cursed are immune to missile fire, and I was planing to teleport darkeyes behind enemyline. future plans were to include harbringer of darkness, darkwings, and demon wings, making the force very fast. maybe some more cursed.

I'm just asking, is "elite armies" usable forces?
I haven't played the game since I was a kid, and it was during 1.st ed.(...and I was a kid :D), so I don't have real expereince yet.
also I'm trying to create my forces from models I like.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: The Must units?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:23:51 AM »

I'm just asking, is "elite armies" usable forces?
I haven't played the game since I was a kid, and it was during 1.st ed.(...and I was a kid :D), so I don't have real expereince yet.
also I'm trying to create my forces from models I like.

IMHO, it is opossible to build a mostly "elite" list but it will be limited in model count.  However, if you can keep it relatively intact (re: Blacksister Army) untill it reaches the enemy lines, it will tear apart what you face.  They key being kept intact until contact.

Having low end units is valuable for helping keep the heavy hitters capable... but it is not required.

Just expect alot of bloody games and moments of fustration. :)
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »
I just got back to the game, and I started to work on my army lists.

Currently, I have elves and devout. My elf force doesn't include currently militia at all. I just don't have the models, and I wouldn't care to use them at all. It's just that I've been playing wargames quite long time now and I totally understand the value of cheap and expendaple units.
So is it possible to write an armylist without them? I was planing something like big unit of spears with standard boosting their defence, or LD taking charges, smaller unit of axemen with just axemaster supported by obsidian guard flanking the units charging spears, supported by archers and black lotus eater. I'd love to fit warkiller or flying dragonbane to bigger lists.

Just a brief comment on militia.  They are indeed valuable.  They cost 1/2 of what spearmen do.  Their armor is 3 less, and they dont have a defensive modifier, and cant brace for a charge.  However, their cc is only 2 worse then the spearmen, and their damage inflicting is only 1 worse.  For the money i have always found them very valuable, and in current games they have a 2 to 1 kill ratio (2 militia to kill 1 unit) it is not uncommon for them to pop an individual as well.  The militia add good value to the elvish forces, and I do not believe you can field a comparable elven army without them. 

on fitting in individuals, remember only 1 individual (warkillers, obsidian guard, lotus eater) per warband fielded.  So 1 warband of spearmen (4 plus leader) is 132 points for 5 units, 1 warband of militia (8 plus leader) is 119, less price for twice the units, they are a bargain at that price.  I wouldnt say militia are cheap, id say they are a good value.  tinker around with them, use you spearmen as militia proxies, and see how they work for you.

troy

Offline Jase

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:12:36 AM »
The big thing with the militia is the weight of numbers for relatively cheap points. Their numbers mean you can tie down an enemy for a couple of turns until you bring in a hard hitting support.

But if you want to go without, go a large warband of Spears for bracing a charge (6 spears, ldr and std), with 2 mimimum sized warband of axemen (just Ldr, 4 Axemen, no Axemaster) and an obsidian guard to flank would hold their own. A must would be a Lotus eater with Adamantine Golem. With warband of archers should just give you a decent 1000 pnts or so (I don't have the book in front of me to check points cost but a little adjusting the numbers may be required).

Jase

PS.

Forgot to add, if your main opponents are Stygian or other elves with Dragonbane, a warband of Dragonskulls is a must.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:14:25 AM by Jase »
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:37:18 AM »
If playing Obsidian Serpents, I've found the Dragon Clan Slaves to be even better, and haven't bothered to run Militia with that house.  The Slaves have tough armor and a shield, meaning they'll stand a good chance of getting across the field, especially if the Adamantite Golem is with them.  They're Steadfast, so they'll just keep on going, and with the Dragonskull Warriors behind them, you've got quite a punch going up one side of the board.  Great combination.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA