Author Topic: Chronopia Empires Project  (Read 39223 times)

Offline Glenn M

Chronopia Empires Project
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:46:30 AM »
I had an idea, a good idea if I say so myself.
Let's make Chronopia Empires.
What we need to do is have people retype the various chapters.  IF we get enough help, one person can take one chapter, so the work is very distributed, then get some decent artists to make Icon representations of the various troops types.  So Firstborn Infantry could simply be a Firstborn Helmet with a sword passing behind it.  Whereas a Chronomancer would just be a drawing of the Chronomancer head.  I would suggest them similar to Heroquest Icons.
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=art;action=display;num=1118774989
After the icons are done, you would print out the icons prearranged onto sticker paper, then attach it to some plasticard, or perhaps old Giftcards and such (or new ones, just swipe a handful from your local store)
Anyways, if you are interested in participating, post here, maybe we can actually pull this game together.  Then if Cyclops Forge actually decides to produce Empires Figures, we would be able to actually play with rules that you can read halfway decent.

Later,
Glenn

Later,
Glenn M

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Chronopia Empires Project
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
While I agree that Chronopia Empires would be cool, lets take a minute and track down who owns the rights. I don't know if the project belonged to Thom, Paradox, or some other player in the saga that was Empire Chronopia. Any if the Philly Crew know if Thom owned the Intellectual Rights to the game or is it Paradox's? Please let us know or ask Thom for us so we don't put a lot of work into this and have to stop half way thru.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:06:22 AM »
Intellectual rights aside, if we go the Unit Card route with this, which I think is probably the easiest way to go, I would like to see cards done ala Battleground Fantasy style, with drawings of the entire unit, with stats on the card, as well.

The artwork doesn't have to be that detailed, just a general representation of the unit.

And if we determine that IP is not an issue: count me in.

SP

Here's a link to the type of layout I'm referring to, hope it works.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:10:59 AM by Southpaw »
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »
Well it was written by Target, so it's rather hard to say who has it now.  Anyways, all I am saying is retype the rulebook, then if someone does wind up buying it, well, they'd have most of the work done by us.

Southpaw, while that is great looking, can you draw it?  I am saying do this as a fan project so that we can actually play it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I am aiming for simple so that we can try it out and see if it is good or not.  And besides all we are doing is taking a crappy scan and making it pretty.  No worse than having scans of UWZ and Chronopia.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
Unfortunately I am far from artistically inclined.  :'(

However I do have alot of the artwork from the book, which could 'theoretically' be used on cards...not for profit, of course.

Theoretically speaking, of course....

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:15 PM »
Yeah, I have no interest in attempting to sell any of this, which is why I am asking for volunteers.  Though I already started the introduction.  I'll have to break down the rest of the book into sections and people can just pick sections they want to work on. 

Now I think we have conflicting ideas on how we were thinking for the cards.  I was think of just basically using the regular sized bases that they ask for, 3 cm x 3 cm for a standard infantry style unit.  So cut out a 3 x 3 piece of plastic then print out the sticker for the unit.  And stick it on.  Unit finished. 
It seems like you are thinking that you want to use the Battlegrounds design entirely.  Let's make sure we are on the same page here.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 05:41:56 AM »
Yes that's what I envision, as well. I had only skimmed through the rules, haven't read them as much as I probably should have.

The 3x3 cm chit should be ideal and we can easily made the 3x6 and the 6x6 and other sizes for the larger units and war machines. The small movement trays I have laying around will finally see some use for moving infantry blocks.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »
The rules tell you what size bases to use, a unit of human sized troops are usually 3x3 with 4 people on base.  I was using this as my example.  Read through the rules and you'll know.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »
The rules tell you what size bases to use, a unit of human sized troops are usually 3x3 with 4 people on base.  I was using this as my example.  Read through the rules and you'll know.

Yep. That should be quite easy to make proxies for, and give the rules a good playtest.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Francesco

• GHAMAK
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 01:51:48 PM »
empire chronopia miniatures compatible? I don't know if this will be a good idea. Our poll for this topic is negotive for a 10 mm minaitures production http://www.solopergioco.net/portale/viewtopic.php?t=553 If we will try, this will slow down the other two miniatures line.

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »
I already voted yes. Come on people. Vote!  :'(  :'(    :'(   :'(   :'(   :'( 
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »
part of the problem is the small figures..

i tried to give warmaster a shot, because I like the concept..

->as cool as it may be, I did not end up to buy the small guys -> not nice to paint, compared to 28mm -> no play

i think that the italians are right on this one. IF everythings runs smoth, and IF there are more peole (payed or fanatic) then it will definitively be a nice future concept.

I belive that GW as well as Tartet/EE through (throw) MUCH to much things on the market.
Who could buy, let alone paint/play so much? Esp. it some figs
WZ alone, OK, but then dark eden together with a lot of (relatively unpopular, in germany) chronopia??
plans fore a 10mm game where very early and slowed everthing down to hindering the main game (or publish a V2 of the UWZ book... (am i right with the people/projets involed beeing right?UZW&chr.empire&chro2ed))

GW does the same now, so much new stuff & always the side systems. They are just unpopular, because they "disappear", like morthheim. -> people think, why should I buy them, but they acually have a huge range!

-> the market is small, do 10mm later.. (or pay more people and pray for a market .. gw did not find one  ;))

cuīs

"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
While I would love to see some compatible figures, I think it might be best to wait a little while, build up your figure list, make yourself known, hopefully Rattlehead will help you there. 
Now, I would love to see them come out though, and would gladly purchase them, especially if they are sculpted well and the price is right.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »
and the price is right.
how much % of GW prices?
I think that was about 10 E / Unit, and you needet about 100 E for an army of warmaster
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Glenn M

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
I am not sure how GW prices there figures, but considering the scale, I can't picture myself spending more than $100-$150 on a decent army.  I's much rather spend less, but I am not sure on how many figures I would need yet.  I really have to learn how the game plays before I can come up with an accurate guess.  Also, I am a cheapskate.