Author Topic: Need help with a Fiend  (Read 52920 times)

Offline Morfdoggs

Need help with a Fiend
« on: February 14, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »
Hey everyone I am starting a quest to field a swamp fiend, but I need some ideas. I was thinking about a scratch built one :o but that is absurd. I was wondering what anyone else use a proxy for this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Need help with a Fiend
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
Giant Mantis from www.blackorc.com would be a place to start.  They've got some big bugs there for their Hundred Kingdoms game.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:08:07 AM »
I have had a clan war Oni no Tadaka laying around for years and just now thought about using it. So now that I have the bug what about the swampies on the back???
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:01:10 AM »
How are your skills with the greenstuff Morf?  I'm getting good at filling gaps but haven't finished an actual sculpt of anything.  How lame.  I would suggest finding something similar in the Swampies line, and doing some conversions, or finding a reasonably close proxy and greenstuffing your own models.  I'll take a look at the art when I get home and come up with something more concrete.  I bet this can be done.

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 10:24:03 PM »
Hey I guess If there is enough interest I will start up a WIP blog ,with photos included. It won't start for a few days as the workshop is being moved. And if everyone chimes in with tips, critiques, and reminders to stay on track I think  I will have a bangin Swamp Fiend.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:36:15 AM »
I got sidetracked actually painting some models last night.  The pile of shame grows and so little gets done.  I will follow your WIP and hopefully have something to offer Morf.  For the riders all I was thinking was converting the gobbos on the myrmadon, but if you're gonna do that, you may as well sculpt your own guys for the amount of work involved. 

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 05:54:54 PM »
I am not comfortable enough yet to fully sculpt a mini, but I will do some heay conversion work. As soon as the workshop gets put back together, before Tuesday hopefully, I will dig through what I got and come up with something, even if its just you Josh looking at it.  ;D

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »
As the fig is not released you have some leeway - I recommend using regular swampies and adding a plaform, or some pouches to hold the warriors to the back/sides of the fiend.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 05:35:48 AM »
A fiend in need is a fiend indeed!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi Morfdoggs,I too am looking into doing a Fiend and have found a miniature that may well work.When I get around to doing it I will post pictures.As for the riders the Blowpipers will work fine as would the spearmen with a little conversion work.
 These projects are fun and very frustrating sometimes,but the end result is well worth the effort.

Andy C.

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »
Status Update! I have moved the workshop and stared to set it up. It will be up and running tonight and I will post pics tomorrow Of the minis I play on using along with some idea drawings.

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »
Here is a crude drawing of what will be happening to make the Fiend. The blue is where the legs and pinchers will be. The red is what I will be bulking up to make it larger. The Brown X's will be the gobbos and the yellow will be his head gear. Finally the black is his teeth. Give some input and ideas, more to come shortly.

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. The mini you're basing it on looks fitting.

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:14:24 PM »
Is that a fig or a dead bug?  Not that I'm complaining or anyting...
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alxbates

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:04 AM »
Keep us updated, Morf!  That looks like a good start/idea!

-Alex
Wan Chew Tree Faw!