Author Topic: Lotus Eaters Magic questions  (Read 39914 times)

Offline troy-the-just

Lotus Eaters Magic questions
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
Crystal House, Blue Lotus eater:  second edition:  pg. 237 "Most fearsome of all the known powers of the Blue Lotus Eaters is their ability to summon an etheral dragon, a perternatural force capable of great destruction."

pg. 223 "with their blue plants, they can control the very air itself and summon the etheral drafon, a perculiar beast from the Elemental Planes that protects its summoner from harm"

pg. 249:  Etheral Dragon:  protects unit from missle fire until next activated

ok, Dog-o-War has mentioned several times that the Etheral dragon is a great spell, but when I read the description of it, it wasnt what he thought.  Is it different in the first edition.  THis spell certainly doesnt fit  the description on pg. 237.

The other question I have is more general.  Units or individuals with magic resistance get their own special save, i understand that.  But do they then get a separate save against the spell if the spell allows a save?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Lotus Eaters Magic questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »
Yup on the magic resistance.  They still get a LD save.

The spell I think was the same in both editions.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
     I looked up the 1st edition , and yes its the same in both.  I still think that I got the Sky Cariot confused with the Etheral Dragon.  The Eatheral Dragon is still a cool spell, just not all its "hyped-up" to be by the book.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:43:46 AM »
I know there's one or two bits in the fluff/descriptions that are a little different than what we have in the game mechanics, but nothing that's put me off.  That spell is still handy, especially combined with some Dream Warriors.  Gives you time to get across the board.  Crystal Lotus is a tough house to play; you really need to make those caster power checks and play smart, as they're an army for more experienced players. 

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »
I know there's one or two bits in the fluff/descriptions that are a little different than what we have in the game mechanics, but nothing that's put me off. That spell is still handy, especially combined with some Dream Warriors. Gives you time to get across the board. Crystal Lotus is a tough house to play; you really need to make those caster power checks and play smart, as they're an army for more experienced players.

The "mistakes" in the fluff don't put me off but can be confusing to newer players.  The Elves are very interesting army to play.  The Warkiller, and Flying Dragonbane are cool individuals, ya just have to know how to use them.  The flying rules really make the Flying Dragonbane a great harassment tool, and I've come to dread them since we have the rules down now( I've been playing Devout).  You really need to balance your forces and have them cooperate very well.  The Militia/Axemen combo is one of the stongest in the game, and quite deadly. 
     Spellcasters are a bit tricky.  I've always seen them as a make or break part of the army.  If they perform well you should win, if they don't make their roles then you are in serious trouble because of the points you spent on them.  This game is so much about movement and timing.  The "window" for some of the non-summoning spells comes and goes pretty quickly in the game, so you really need to plan ahead and think thru your list of spells you intend to use.  I do like the "free" spell you get with the Lotus-eater, I think this was a very good idea, not to powerful, but a little something.  I think you should really get to know your army before delveing into the spellcasters, as they can have so much influence on the game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:51:44 AM by DogOWar »

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
Well spoke.  Elves are very different to play.  We can say that about every army in this game, but I think that Crystal Lotus is definitely a finesse army, and not just a go out there and bash'em army like the Obsidian Serpents. 

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
exactly.  i am ready to try some magic and in fact need to, to counter dogs warped lord.  the crystal lotus spells are like the house, finesse, which is why i need to understand the spells, and know when i will use them, before i purchase and field.  i have no doubt i will continue to kick the evil out of the devout, but dog keeps on tryin, dark lord bless him!

also in follow-up to magic resistance, it is my understanding that it only applies to spells cast on the unit.  what about a vortex cast under my feet?

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
exactly.  i am ready to try some magic and in fact need to, to counter dogs warped lord.  the crystal lotus spells are like the house, finesse, which is why i need to understand the spells, and know when i will use them, before i purchase and field.  i have no doubt i will continue to kick the evil out of the devout, but dog keeps on tryin, dark lord bless him!

also in follow-up to magic resistance, it is my understanding that it only applies to spells cast on the unit.  what about a vortex cast under my feet?

Your understanding is correct. Magic Resistance only applies to spells directly cast at the unit. In case of a Vortex, Chasm, or any other such spell which does not specifically target the unit, they act and save just like any other troops.
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:49:49 PM »
     Thanks for the help Southpaw. 

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »
My pleasure, as always.

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

Negral Zar'akin

Offline troy-the-just

Re: Lotus Eaters Magic questions- next questions
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:33:13 AM »
ok, my questions are regarding the crystal lotus eater and the effect spells have on fliers only.

#1.  the lotus eaters staff spell (pg. 247_ unearthly chill)  if cast on a flier, they are chilled to the bone and "cant do anything for the remainder of the game turn"  does that mean they fall, and you refer to the fall rules for damage?

#2  freeze spell, pg. 249.  saving throw is leadership i assume, the strength test comes in after a successful spell and for successive game turns.  if spell is successfully cast against a flier, they fail their leadership save, then do they fall and possible sustain damage?

I think the answer to both is yes, but i was wondering

thanks  troy

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 07:21:37 AM »
Basically the answer is a whopping YES.  If you use the new flying rules, any flyer making contact with terrain is crushed and taken out of the game.  If you use the old rules, you will have to calculate the falling damage.  Deadly spells and effects any way you look at them.  Watch out Vulture Clan Totem.

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 08:03:25 AM »
Basically the answer is a whopping YES.  If you use the new flying rules, any flyer making contact with terrain is crushed and taken out of the game.  If you use the old rules, you will have to calculate the falling damage.  Deadly spells and effects any way you look at them.  Watch out Vulture Clan Totem.

thanks, i was thought that was the case, always nice to hear experienced input

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 08:47:04 AM »
That's mean, evil, underhanded, and icky....

I like it. ;D
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

Negral Zar'akin

Offline troy-the-just

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
one last question, I think, do spellcasters have to attack the nearest enemy unit?  I would think that would greatly hinder their abilities, which already take some creativity to use.  for example a spell says can be cast on any unit within LOS, does that really mean any unit or individual, or any type of unit, in LOS, as long as it is the nearest