Author Topic: Today's Order of the Stick webcomic  (Read 6548 times)

Offline Jase

Today's Order of the Stick webcomic
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:45:50 AM »
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on random miniatures boxes (*cough* D&D *cough*)

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Wedge

Re: Today's Order of the Stick webcomic
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »
I've been reading this comic since episode 40 (I think)... joined a little late.  Rich has a great sense of humor and he definitely hit the nail on the head with random plastic mini snafu we all loathe!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
yeah, but the most interesting question is: who buys enough of that crap (imho;)) to make it a buisness???

@oots:

best line ever  :) :D ;D
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »
yeah, but the most interesting question is: who buys enough of that crap (imho;)) to make it a buisness???

@oots:

From my brienf time in a Living Greyhawk game held in a store, I watched each player buy AT LEAST 3 of the big boxes, which retailed for i think 15 bucks.

Now, mind you, I play the clicky Mechwarrior, but at least I know I'll be able to use what I get in the box.  Or at least trade the stuff to someone who plays that faction. 

What can you do with 20 Halfling Rogues?
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:29:27 PM »
Dalton buys those plastics by the CASE, not just the box.  When a large encounter happens, he's got everything.  He's been doing this for a while as he's been running at least one, sometimes two, D&D games a week over the years.  Habit forming.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
    Honestly, what do you expect of a company that was bought out by Magic: The Gathering (of your MONEY)!!!!
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Dalton buys those plastics by the CASE, not just the box.  When a large encounter happens, he's got everything.  He's been doing this for a while as he's been running at least one, sometimes two, D&D games a week over the years.  Habit forming.

Now there's a game I think that I could get into - a GM that actually puts things in perspective for his players?  Kudos, Dalton!
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 05:33:51 AM »
Now, to add insult to injury, Halo is coming out in cliky form. 

I saw game of Star Wars Starship Battles being played the other day and it was a complete abomination of Clone Ships fighting Rebel Era forces because that's what they had gotten in all the boxed sets.

Mongoose has gone to pre-painted figs (much like the French AT-43) but they have gone out of their way to put a window on the box so you know what you are getting.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Jase

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »
I don't mind them prepainted, as long as I know what I am getting. Or if they actually did faction sets I'd have some interest.

Fellow I know wanted the Warduke figure from the D&D booster pack. On a whim he bought a couple of boosters when that set came out. When he opened the second pack, lo and behold - one Warduke figure. Hasn't bought one since.

Jase
"Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."