Author Topic: Concealed squads re-concealing  (Read 4565 times)

Offline chribu

• Keeping track of all the answers
Concealed squads re-concealing
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
Spot

when spotting hidden units (such as a wolfbane commando unit, with Stealth ability), do I reveal the whole unit with a successful spot check or do I only reveal one model for each successful spot check?

Remember that hidden units are marked by an unit card until they are revealed. Therefore, you are actually spotting the card and not any individual model. So, once the card is spotted then the models would be deployed according to the rules for placing units after revealing a card. The tricky part of this is, only the unit (model) spotting and any squad that was "given orders to" by the spotting model can see the newly revealed models. (p 42 section 6.2.7 - Making a Spot Check - 2nd paragraph). Stalker.
Ok.
But stalkers can re-enter stalk-mode.
In that case does the entire squad become concealed at once? If not, do I then have to spot the models individually? As some might be concealed while others not.
Similarly, what if a model of a squad reveals itself voluntarily? Does it reveal the whole squad?

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Concealed squads re-concealing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »
Q: But stalkers can re-enter stalk-mode. In that case does the entire squad become concealed at once?

A: Attempting to go back into Stalk requires the model to spend an Action and if there are no enemies within 6" and LOS of the Stalker and a successful LD check (page 80). Models perform their actions individually so each stalker will have to make their own attempt if they can fulfill the distance and LOS criteria.

Q: Similarly, what if a model of a squad reveals itself voluntarily? Does it reveal the whole squad?

A. Nope it's always the indivdual model.

Offline chribu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »
So spotting one concealed model in a squad reveals all other (if any) concealed models in a squad?

e.g.
concealed squad -> spot -> reveals the whole squad (was answered before)
squad with only a few models concealed -> spot -> reveals all the concealed models? if answer is no does not seem consistent with first answer...

Offline chribu

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »
anyone?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
I have to disagree with COil on this one, after talking to Thom about this, one day.

Stalkers may re-enter stalking if all conditions for doing so are met.  If you have a squad of stalkers, their entire squad is revealed at once, and must re-enter at once.

Now, I am not saying that I am right.  I am saying that this is how I understand the ruling.  For purposes of this discussion, someone, please, remind me of a unit that has Stalk and that can have more than one model in that squad.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
In Semai's army Support unit squad Soul Reavers can have 1 to 3 models that have Stalk.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
don't Mortificators have the Stalk ability, or is that a Dark Legion-only SA?...

don't have my book inside my house...I hope it's still in my car...

pretty sure it is...have it there (hopefully) so I don't forget it for my Sat game...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
I have to disagree with COil on this one, after talking to Thom about this, one day.

Stalkers may re-enter stalking if all conditions for doing so are met.  If you have a squad of stalkers, their entire squad is revealed at once, and must re-enter at once.

Now, I am not saying that I am right.  I am saying that this is how I understand the ruling.  For purposes of this discussion, someone, please, remind me of a unit that has Stalk and that can have more than one model in that squad.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you (and Thom). :)

The spotting rules are all about making spot checks against models and not units.

Going back into Stalk requires an Action when the criteria are fulfilled. Models activate individually in a squad and then they cannot all re-enter at once. The description of Stalk also talks about model and not unit.

Sylvas, Morts have Shadow Walk.

/Andreas

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
I am going to have to defer to Coil on this, as my discussions with Thom dealt only with single model squads.  Multi-model squads may, indeed, be different.

I will try to talk to the rest of the FAQ team, and mayben even Thom, about this.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!