Author Topic: Battle Report - Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - Rogue's Den  (Read 4665 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Battle Report - Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - Rogue's Den
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:06:46 PM »
Bryon Gray (PhillySniper) and I played an 800 point, Level 3 Desert, Demolition Scenario that had him as the attacker and me trying to stop him from succeeding.

We played at the Rogue's Den (www.roguesden.com), in Claymont, DE.

Bryon went with Bauhaus:
  • 2 Ducal Militia squads - 1 w/ RL Spec (AP rnds)
  • 1 Dragoon Squad w/ Sniper
  • 1 Jungle Kommando squad with TRS Spec
  • 1 Jungle Kommando Kaptain (LD 15!)
  • 1 Hussar Mortar team
  • Valerie Duval

I went with Imperial:
  • 1 ISC Gendarmes squad w/ 2 HMG Specs
  • 1 Trencher squad w/ Sniper & HMG Spec
  • 1 Golden Lions squad with 2 LMG Specs
  • 1 Hurricane Walker - Stinger class

We played the length of the board as the scenario suggests.  That would work to Bryons advantage as his fast troops made great time over the Level 3 (-1 MV) Desert terrain.  Having the 2 Ducal squads and the JK's meant that he could get massive amounts of troops where they needed to be a lot faster than I could.  Further, he was out-activating me and winning the majority of the initiatives - a big advantage for which he designed his force well.

I infiltrated my Golden Lions and my two False Leads.  Unfortunately, instead of being aggressive in my deployment, I hindered myself by deploying in cover.  This would come into play later.  The ISC are fast, but have no range, being armed with SMG's.  I should have designed for speed, but instead, chose to design my force to virtually eliminate environment rolls - Hazmat and Envior Suits - and to throw a lotta lead - SMG's and HMG's - with the Walker using incendiary AP rounds.

Even though he rolled horribly (three 20's in a row, at one point) with the environment rolls, Bryon got off to a great start, pinning my Lions in cover and keep ing them there with the Militia and the mortar.  It took me until turn two to fire any shots from the Lions.  His Dragoons found great cover to lay down supressing fire, and his JK's moved up with the other militia squad with the RL.

I peeled off the Sniper and the HMG from the Trenchers, but their limited movement kept them from finding targets to cap.  The Walker popped smoke to cover the advance of the ISC, and they were able to get to the objective - unfortunately, Bryon got there first and had already planted charges.  It became obvious that to continue the fight, Imperial would take heavy losses, so retreat was sounded, and Bryon triumphed.

In all, Bryon never managed to lose control of the initiative, the goal, nor the mission.  His tactics and force design were superior.  The only thing that conspired against him was the environment, and that proved to be of little hindrance to him.

Well played, Bryon.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:09:56 PM by dmcgee1 »
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: Battle Report - Sat, 8 Oct 2005 - Rogue's Den
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »
When I played this scenario I kept Maria del Tores within eight inches of the objective and the majority of the rest of my force in heavy cover or hidden just outside of clear firing lanes.

Whenever my opponent, a CC oriented 'Haus force, placed a demo charge, I'd sweep the area with covering fire while Maria ran up and deactivated the charge.  The plan worked great until an airstrike ( one of my own!) deviated ontop of her and then she failed a Leadership test taking the charge and her last wound with it.

That mission is best played with an imposed Turn limit. 4~6 turns is best.

for most people.

For some odd reason every last figure is dead by the end of the third turn in the games we play.

-PFC joe

Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum