Author Topic: An Open Apology  (Read 14801 times)

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
Re: An Open Apology
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 02:05:13 PM »
DOH! ;D
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »
Top - I'll be honest, I never considered for one second this was an offensive reference or slur. I acutally considered it more of a "hick" referece or midwestern reference than anything racist. Goes to show what I know.

My term is "sparky" and I use it the exact same way. Perhaps there's some negative reference for that we could find too...bottom line is that isn't the intention. I think everyone here that knows you knows that wasn't your intention either.

I don't see ANY reason for an apology. If anyone else does, then they should take that up with you one on one.
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »
While I agree with Alpha's sentiments, I also appreciate Top's.  I think that Top was merely stating that he id, in fact, intend no disrespect.  I, myself, use the term, but only for humor value, and never as an insult.  Contaxt speaks loudly.  Top's apology speaks to his character and to his (for lack of a better term) sensitivity to the feelings of others.  I applaud the apology in the respect it was meant to show.  It neither humbles nor belittles Top to take an intiative such as this, in my opinion.  Well done, Top.  Karma to you, sir.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »
WOW this turned out to be a whole lot more than necessary on this topic.

I was the one who PMed Topkick about the use of the word. I was bothered by the use of it in general and even said so in my PM. I also stated that I didnt think that he meant it in the negative but I could see how someone might take it the wrong way. I figured that he didnt know and sent the PM more as an information thing. After he posted his apology I even PMed him again stating that this posts wasnt necessary as I didnt get upset about it. He stated that since he made the statement publicly he should apologise the same way. I applaude him for that, even tho it wasnt necessary.

My personal opinion is that if something affects you, either positive or negative, you should address it. Not everyone was raised the same way or knows the same things. The world would be a much better place if we could TALK out any misunderstandings.

I apologise for starting this furor, that wasnt my intention. I thought that I was helping to educate someone  who I consider a friend.  I hope that there are no hard feelings. Again I apologise.

Bryon
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 07:14:13 PM »
I never thought this would garner so much attention. I made a statement that a member of the forum informed me in private was offensive. I apologized to him in a PM but having made the statement in public I felt it was only right to apologize in public.

Those who know me or have been around the forums awhile will affirm that I speak plain. I am not afraid to speak my mind and am man enough to step up and acknowledge my mistakes. While I did not see the harm in the expression used I now understand that it was offensive to someone here. That necessitated an apology. As this forum is a public venue and my error was made in public the apology therefore had to be made in public.

Bryon has no need to apologize for anything and it was never my intent to cause him any further problems. Furthermore he was right to bring this to my attention. I respect him for standing up for what he believes and hope that this will be the last post of this thread. It has run it's course and then some.

If a moderator feels that this thread has become divisive in any way then I encourage them to delete it - if it would be in the best interest of the forum. Otherwise I ask everyone to recognize that this thread accomplished it's purpose two pages ago and let it go.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890