Author Topic: Pulled out my Trenchers for a pic  (Read 6968 times)

FogerRox

Pulled out my Trenchers for a pic
« on: December 10, 2006, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Pulled out my Trenchers for a pic
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:09:56 AM »
That is a very nice unit and cool paint jobs.

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:30:53 AM »
yeah, pritty good. I, personally, would wash more with black ink.

and the green looks like necron guns ;)

cu
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »
Very clean job though!
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

FogerRox

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:53:00 PM »
Never finished the hilites and shadows, good enough to play though.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:15:12 AM »
Very Very nice!

I'm always impressed by how well the Trenchers always come out.  I really love those minis.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline Alpha

• FAQ Team
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
Very Very nice!

I'm always impressed by how well the Trenchers always come out.  I really love those minis.

I agree - they have always been one of my favorite units. The minis are really eye catching and seem to paint up great. I've rarely seen a squad that didn't look good when finished - and I've seen all kinds of schemes for them.

There's a few others that are kind of like that - the old undead legionnaires, Free Marines, Blood Berets,  the Hurricane Walker, Ashigaru, Deathbringer, Crimson Devils, Shock Troopers, Sacristans, Bio Giant, Blessed Legionnaires, Karnophages, all the Callistonians, the Sons of Rasputin and the Lutherans. It seems these are easy to paint nicely and look good in many colors and patterns. I found it very quick and easy to get them to look good, even with my limited ability.

Then there's the ones that have driven me crazy. I've stripped and redone them several times and NEVER gotten them to look right. These have been the bane of my existence when it comes to painting....

Wolfbanes. Yeah - I know, my favorites so maybe I'm being too picky. I've seen some painted BRILLIANTLY, but never gotten mine "right". I plan on giving them another try soon.

Templars of Ilian (and wheeled templars). Man I LOVE these guys...but I've never really seen any I liked painted. Maybe I don't like purples enough (and everyone paints them that way). I'd like to see a color sheme on these that just wows me.

Ronin - I've done these guys like 3 times...and still am not happy. They always look okay, but never "good" and they are some of my favorite minis. I like the look of Mishima, though they are probably the force I play least.

Chasseurs - I just can't paint these. I have no idea why. I even tried some REALLY simple schemes. No dice. Mine are teh suck.

Necromutants - I have never got these right either. Drives me crazy. I like just about everyone elses that I see...but have never gotten mine to look even decent. These SHOULD be easy...but not for me.

Brass Apocalypts - maybe it's the sculpt here - but I've never seen one I really like and mine are bland.

Scions of Ilian - don't like mine a bit. Should be easy, but I've never been happy with them.

Children of Ilian. Hate mine....just hate them. Headed into the pinesol.

Templars (Tribes) - just look bland.

Crescentians - Love the sculpts, but just have not been able to get them the way I like....excluding the Martyrs which I'm very happy with.

Any one else have suggestions on these - or some that have thwarted them?
Arch Nemesis of the Pathetically Correct
Ebay Handle: Alpha-Male

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »
The trenchers look great!

Alpha, I go by the , "If at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer," philosophy (oh, wait, that's for building/fixing stuff, not painting).  Oh yeah - try again.  I cannot tell you how many minis I've redone.  It's, literally, countless.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
@ Alpha...

I've found that the Ronin Samurai are pretty easy to paint, but that might be because of the paint scheme that I use for them...I used a basic black that I highlighted to make it look like there was a little more depth to the mini...it took some time to do, but the end result looks really sharp...

the best painted Wolfbanes that I've ever seen are the ones that Stalker owns, which I believe that Wedge was the painter...the mini's armor is done in brown and they were painted with subtle, but very effective highlights...they are something that I'm trying to do with my Wolfbanes, but I haven't been able to get the highlights done quite the same way yet...

Chasseurs are another easy model to paint...they are basically grey, with some highlights on the edges of the armor plates to give the model some depth...

my list of models that suck to paint...

1.) Ashigaru...maybe it's because they generally suck except in close combat, but there is nothing there to work with...they are sculpted with little surface area, so I would have to add the details like I did with the Ronin, but I can't seem to bring myself to spend the time to paint them...

2.) Blood Berets...there is so much on the minis that I have a hard time painting them...just when I get the main part of the model done, I have to spend almost twice as long painting all the little details, and I have a short attention span (oh look, a chicken)...

3.) ASSAULT MARINES...ask Stalker what I thought about painting this squad sometime...they drove me so nuts that I was about to change my force lists for last year's Origins so that I didn't have to work on them...

I'm sure there are others, but I'm too tired to think of any others that I've done to try and remember them...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »
olfbanes. Yeah - I know, my favorites so maybe I'm being too picky. I've seen some painted BRILLIANTLY, but never gotten mine "right". I plan on giving them another try soon.

Templars of Ilian (and wheeled templars). Man I LOVE these guys...but I've never really seen any I liked painted. Maybe I don't like purples enough (and everyone paints them that way). I'd like to see a color sheme on these that just wows me.

Ronin - I've done these guys like 3 times...and still am not happy. They always look okay, but never "good" and they are some of my favorite minis. I like the look of Mishima, though they are probably the force I play least

I have seen them done in the traditional scheme from the books- and they have looked awesome.  My own are rather "bleh" but I still use them.

Try using blues... I imagine a blue and grey scheme, done right, might work... Make them Naval Ronin. :)

Chasseurs - I just can't paint these. I have no idea why. I even tried some REALLY simple schemes. No dice. Mine are teh suck.

Mine are Shadow Grey with Deep Red shoulder armor.  Detail work and glowing green eyes.  Look nice on the table with a dark wash of somesort over the red.  Came out nice for me...

Pick an overall colorscheme for the Army as a whole and go from there.  jjdodger and I developed one using steel, grey and a bright green... and they look hot on the table.  All of his boys are interlinked in that fashion.

Just a matter of experimenting as Dave said.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y