Author Topic: Thank our soldiers  (Read 7263 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Thank our soldiers
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

This is a site that let's you choose a card, and let's you choose a "Thank you" (or write your own - I did) to a random serviceman actively serving in the USA Armed Forces.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Thank our soldiers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the link
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:23:16 AM »
I'll be sending one and hittin' yo' karma button to boot.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:03:31 PM »
I'll be sending one and hittin' yo' karma button to boot.

Thanks, josh - however, I ain't doin' it for my karma.  I'm doin' it for their's. ;)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline plorozen

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:54:37 AM »
I dont want to be a bore, but I dont think posts like that belong on this forum.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:17:57 AM »
I dont want to be a bore, but I dont think posts like that belong on this forum.

Sorry if we have offended your sensibilities. I might even go so far as to agree that this post maybe should have been placed in the Non-games Related Banter. However to say that this thread has no place on this forum is wrong in my opinion. Some of the people serving there are kids I taught how to game. Some are friends from this and other forums. They are us - our friends and relatives. Sending them good wishes is no different than wishing each other a Happy Birthday or offering support in a personal crisis.

If your complaint is that you are anti-war and feel that this thread is offensive to your stand then again I apologize for offending your sensibilities. However there are several other forums where the members freely express a distaste for the war and for any positive support for it or the troops fighting it. I humbly ask you to go to one of these and dispense negative feedback to your hearts content. This forum avoids acrimonious debate as much as possible.

Myself and several others here are current or prior service. As such we understand and respect the sacrifices being made for us. This in no way indicates any support or displeasure with the policies that brought about the war. The sole purpose of this thread is to say thank you to the men and women who are risking everything.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 07:23:19 AM »
Very well stated Topkick I was just about to say something similar myself when you posted.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 08:08:13 AM »
Mod Note

These forums are about games we all love. They are also a community and some members of our forum are serving in the armed forces and sometimes they are sent to dangerous places. Being supportive of them and sending them our well wishes (or prayers for those so inclined) is ok.

While there are forums out there which espouse various views on political topics and some are quite partisan. This forum is not one of them and in order to keep the friendly atmosphere we have, I would ask everyone to keep that in mind.

Politics, religion etc however are sensitive topics and are best avoided.

This thread has been here for a while and I decided last week to let it stay up. I hope I will not have to change that decision.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 08:11:38 AM »
As always Coil, you express my thoughts with a clarity I can only aspire to - Thanks.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:13:30 AM »
Coil,

I started this thread.  I would not be offended were it to be moved to Non-game Related Banter.

However, as Top, Phil and I (now) state, it was started with one thought in mind.  Showing support for those that do their duties without hesitation.  Were I still active, I would love to log onto this forum from afar and see that those at home were wishing me well.  I am not espousing any view, whatsoever, on the politics involved - only that I think that our family, friends and complete strangers are serving us by accepting and following their orders.  It is an awesome responsibility and an incredible show of character.  I hope that my children show that type of character and willingness to do for others should the need arise, and I know that there are other parents of active duty service people who wished that it was not their children who had to respond, but are proud that they are doing so.  It is in this vein that I have started this thread.

Hurry home, safely, folks - you are loved and missed.

Offline plorozen

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »
topkick: dont worry, I wasnt offended, I just dont think that a gameforum is the right place for this,
especially with seamus old locking of a thread I belive was named "support our troops" (I assumed the same "policy" was still in force).