Author Topic: Blackblood colour schemes  (Read 13889 times)

Offline AeA

Blackblood colour schemes
« on: October 02, 2005, 07:25:11 AM »
Continuing the thread from the previous forum, I've now managed to make the "light brown and red" scheme work, despite having had to switch to a FOURTH brand of metallics due to Finnish suppliers dropping each and every line of paints I grow fond of (*grumble*). Anyway, a pic for everyone trawling for ideas:

My next BB batch will donate some unfortunate members for experimentation with the red/yellow and purple/yellow schemes, results from which might become available in a year or two if nothing goes horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:25:22 AM by AeA »

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
Re: Blackblood colour schemes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »
Those look very good. Great Job AeA!

dagorauk

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 08:51:43 PM »
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of purple put together with yellow. Yellow with red isn't a bad combo though.
I'd suggest if you're going to experiment, try at least one slightly more crazy one...like try painting a scheme of red with purple.

*edit* By the way, I like your work on the Orc Swordies.

Offline AeA

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 07:08:39 AM »
try painting a scheme of red with purple.
'tis such an interesting proposition, I just may have to try that. Contrast might be an issue, but with a proper trim colour... aye, I definitely need to try it out.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 08:06:17 AM »
I've seen people use purple and yellow together and it can look quite good if the shades chosen are good.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 08:17:38 AM »
AeA--those are slammin'.  I just sold all my badly painted Blackbloods to a my usual opponent and friend.  I hope he sees yours, strips'em and has a go at that color scheme.  Those are Blackbloods.  Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 12:19:45 PM »
Purple and yellow go together like peas and carrots, bnecause they are contrasting colors. That is how you paint use contrasting colors to set each other off. If you use a red you aren't goiong to use a purple it is to damn close. Or is you use a yellow you won't use a brown again to close. The key is to pick colors that are contrating and complamenting.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline T Prime

• Big Kahuna, Chairman of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Member Prime
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 01:05:36 PM »
Superbly painted sir. I love them!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Excelsior!!

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
That they are it has inspired me to strip and repaint my Blackblood force. Back to bare metal oh ya.
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

dagorauk

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 07:19:17 PM »
Purple and yellow go together like peas and carrots, bnecause they are contrasting colors. That is how you paint use contrasting colors to set each other off. If you use a red you aren't goiong to use a purple it is to damn close. Or is you use a yellow you won't use a brown again to close. The key is to pick colors that are contrating and complamenting.

I beg to differ, and I'll probably end up posting in your color scheme topic, but I'll put up a short post here.
Thing is, there are contrasting colors that people toss around all too much.
Red and Blue
Red and Green
Orange and Blue
Yellow and Purple
Black and White

Taking something and finding a shade of it and pairing it with a "closer" color can make for some nice effects. Taking a very dark purple and putting it against a vibrant crimson can make for a very nice base. Or maybe a berry-wine red and a lighter lavander or violet shade of purple. It can be tricky to pull off but if done carefully it can look very cool.

Offline Firstborn

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 05:29:18 PM »
Continuing the thread from the previous forum, I've now managed to make the "light brown and red" scheme work, despite having had to switch to a FOURTH brand of metallics due to Finnish suppliers dropping each and every line of paints I grow fond of (*grumble*). Anyway, a pic for everyone trawling for ideas: http://tuli.cc.lut.fi/~aarola/not_very_permanent_stuff/orc_swords0.jpg

My next BB batch will donate some unfortunate members for experimentation with the red/yellow and purple/yellow schemes, results from which might become available in a year or two if nothing goes horribly wrong.

They look absolutely fantastic. Great Job.
Chronopia - The best fantasy miniature wargame ever made

Offline Steel Rabbit

• On A Roll Games
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 10:21:09 PM »
Those look really good, dude! Awesome work. Just a word of advice to you and everyone else reading this and planning on doing yellow. Paint the area pink first! I know it sounds crazy but do it, pink covers an area very well and yellow goes over pink very easily also. It'll save you tons of time.

Offline badmojo451

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 08:18:53 AM »
Very nice paint job.  I really like the look and feel.  I will try it out myself.  The copper colored armor really helps to tie it all together as well.  Nicely done

morpheus
morpheus

Offline Gubs

• Prophet Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 04:20:27 PM »
Those look really good, dude! Awesome work. Just a word of advice to you and everyone else reading this and planning on doing yellow. Paint the area pink first! I know it sounds crazy but do it, pink covers an area very well and yellow goes over pink very easily also. It'll save you tons of time.

Pink seems a very odd color choice :-\
Personally I think a color like VMC brown sand is a better choice.  You not only get the solid coverage, even over black primer, but you can also use it as a shade color for yellow.

Offline Coil

• Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 12:08:26 AM »
I find that a light brown colour is a good base for yellow.

/Andreas