Author Topic: 9 year old's first game!!  (Read 9882 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
9 year old's first game!!
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:55:46 AM »
Long story, I'll try to be brief.  My father was stuck babysitting four grandchildren Friday night.  Saturday comes and he's down to only watching one, my 9 year old nephew Jacob.  I packed the car with a grass gaming mat, two armies (1100 points each) and enough terrain to make a game.  I know Jacob likes games, poker, any card games, and he's a sports fanatic.  He plays baseball, soccer, and wants to play football.  He knows more about sports teams than I could ever care to, and he's a sharp little kid.  I took my chances on him learning Chronopia.

What a blast!!!  I had him play the Dark Tusk Dwarves with a Keeper, Dark Tusk Hero, and my converted Mauler as a guest star from the Blood Bones.  He had a squad of Vulture Crossbows, 6 Dark Axes, 6 Dark Stars, some Legion, and all the enthusiasm that comes from youth.  "Do you go berserk?" I say, to a resounding "Yes!".

I had the Devout.  Who doesn't love beating up the most evil army you can field?  I had the Cursed, Demon Wings, Swordsmen, Greatswordsmen, and a Dusk Realm Demon.  I made a point of not having any spellcasting or hidden models, just to give him a feel for the basics. 

The look in his eye when the Keeper transformed into the Totem was priceless!!  I've created a masherking in the making!! 

He won handily  ;)  as the Devout were a tad ambitious in their rush at the stalwart Dwarves.  I highly recommend everyone to pass this game on to future generations, whether it has support or not.  We can't take it with us when we're gone. 

For young kids, I think they can pick up the basics of this game if you don't complicate things too much.  By the end of the game he had the hang of how models move and fight, and is eagerly looking forward to our next match.

The only heartbreak came when Jacob asked his parents for Chronopia for Chanukah.  I'll have to pull some strings to get Chanukah Harry to deliver something.  I really miss Excelsior. 

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: 9 year old's first game!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:09:36 AM »
Give us a list for Project Chanukah and let's see what we can do to help Harry out.

A shout out to the community.
Yo gang - Can we help joshuaslater with this? If we all donate a fig or two maybe we can help JS fullfill this holiday wish. I know I am in and I hope I do not stand alone.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:22 AM »
Billy Crystal's on his mule!!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:15:22 AM »
Absolutely. Count me in.

Give us a list for Project Chanukah and let's see what we can do to help Harry out.

A shout out to the community.
Yo gang - Can we help joshuaslater with this? If we all donate a fig or two maybe we can help JS fullfill this holiday wish. I know I am in and I hope I do not stand alone.

Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:29:52 AM »
Gotta give props for the Christmas/Chanukah spirit. Have a little Christmas Karma baby.  :D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Wedge

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:01 AM »
Glad to hear a youth is excited about something that doesn't involve a game controller!  I am not surprised that he enjoyed himself--good job of teaching him the game and making it fun for him.

I don't have extra mini's since I pared down to only two armies, otherwise I'd give you some miniatures.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
Thanks for all the kind offers guys.  I've just ordered some overstock from www.fantization.com.  He'll get that Totem yet if his uncle's on the mutha.  If he gets interested enough in the game for more, I'll keep scrounging around 'til I can get him one small army.  After that, he's gotta use uncle Josh's models.  I get the terrible feeling that once this kid learns the game he's gonna make a habit of kickin' my ass.  So many others have.  Sigh. 

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
There is a good amount of stuff at my FLGS.  If I could get a wish list I'd look it up for you guys (no rulebook though).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
Hello.

Joshua I know maplewood had some tackle box armies left . I will see if I can;t get masherking and jibbajabbawocky to look and see what is left, in addition to blisters. I may even take a day trip sunday to look. HAPPY CHANUKA.
*<EDIT>* I found a darktusk totem and keeper box on ebay bidding as we speak.

wmeredith.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 06:53:24 PM by wmeredith »
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »
I have a mostly unpainted dwarven force sitting in a box in the basement right now- it was to be my second Chrono army.

As others have stated, post a list of what you need and I'll see what I can do as well- I might have a sealed horned ones box to donate to the cause.

Pay it forward, my brothers in arms... maybe some good will come of our efforts...
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »
Well, he enjoyed the Dark Tusks so much I went and ordered him his own Totem.  It'll save me having to pack the big model when I bring the game out his way.  At nine, he's not driving just yet!  I'm looking forward to assembling the model with him, and maybe get my father to loan us some power tools and his basement to really have it pinned tight.  He is nine after all.  I'll prime it for him and see if he takes to painting.  I'm glad my nephews are at the age where I can start enjoying their company!!  Total ulterior motive on my part to get more games in.  Saw through that, right?

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »
Hello.

He may have two if my bid goes right. Can't have too many totems.

wmeredith(9390william)
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 02:29:22 PM »
     My friend's and I were jsut talking last weekend about getting our kids together in 7-8 yrs and teaching them how to play.  A dynasty of chronopia, how cool is that.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 07:53:56 AM »
Like I said earlier, you can't take the game with you, so you may as well prep the next generation to learn this great game.  The models may be played with by your kids grandchildren, and they will say it was passed down from you.