Author Topic: Favorite army and why?  (Read 10455 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Favorite army and why?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 11:31:08 AM »
I've tried shield walls,  and don't like them.  I think they're better used with that 3" move and getting off a Hail of Arrows.  Limiting yourself to just the shield wall is not always best.  When in doubt, attack.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline lurker

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »
'Tis true, but when facing those pesky elven archers I find myself either shot dead or forced behind a shieldwall most of the time. We do play with quite an amount of terrain, and I do use the horned rider as a fast flanker to harass his archers, but when I eventually force my opponent into battle I have usually lost too many warriors to win the fight and the horned rider has been a) shot down by the dragonbane scout b) fried by a fireball spell c) cut down by the flying dragonbane.

Perhaps I should use the totem as a shield instead? Any other ideas?

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 01:54:53 PM »
Put an Impaler on the board.  It's always nice to shoot back at those pesky archers while you're shield wall moves forward.  Advance your Totem up with the Legion with a banner of Steadfastness, so they won't panic if you lose half the unit on the way, then trample away with the Totem, bring the Horned Raider as support, and roll lots of 1's. 

I've played all the clans but the Horned Ones so I know each clan plays differently.  It seems a tough act to balance the speed (3") of the army against having a shield wall with short range missiles.  I guess the trick is to advance forward from one corner of the table and then run your speedy units around after you've covered a turn or two.  One day when I assemble my Totems and paint all the Horned Ones, I'll have more insight.  As it stands, I have the Warshields painted, but I rarely field them as my missile troops for a Dwarf force.  I prefer moving to static postitions.  Patton said that "fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
Hello.

As someone who has used the horned ones I can say this, use it in spots form up when you need cover then break up to move faster. The spearmen are real killers.

wmeredith(9390william)
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 07:59:41 AM »
First Born.

I like 'em cause they are pretty much the po' abused race giving hell back to all the others that subjegated them.  And I find I like their minis alot.

Even tho he has never been much more than bait or a punk model, I like the Judge.  THe Marksman is also a favo the army...  and usually winds up with MVP in many games... though the Chrono got it the last time I played.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Wedge

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »
My favorite army is the Untamed.  SoK is just lots of fun to play.  It's all about offense and chicks with big swords!  Plus the whole Conan theme never gets old.

I also play and enjoy playing Stygian.  I think I enjoy them most because I like the expression on my opponents face when I beat them with the lizards--they can't figure out how I did it without missile troops.  Muwahahahaha!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:36:37 AM »
I also play and enjoy playing Stygian.  I think I enjoy them most because I like the expression on my opponents face when I beat them with the lizards--they can't figure out how I did it without missile troops.  Muwahahahaha!

I do the same thing but with dwarves MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 10:07:26 AM »
Swamp Goblins cause they're Mean and Green.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69