Author Topic: Vulture Dwarf Proxies  (Read 11628 times)

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
Vulture Dwarf Proxies
« on: November 11, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
     I'm looking for proxies for the impaler and marksman, any suggestions.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: Vulture Dwarf Proxies
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:17:06 PM »
Hello.

Joshua Slater uses an old grenader model of two dwarfs holding a large crossbow., for the marksmen he uses a converted vulture legion leader figure I" think". I would take two vultures from the legion and construct some kind of crossbow for them th use. For the marksmen take whatever vulture figure you want and convert him. Legion leader or anything that will fit.

*EDIT* My  goof they don;t have a leader model for vulture crossbows.

wmeredith
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:10:39 PM by wmeredith »
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »
Did they do a Vulture Crossbowman Leader?

Halfbad

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 09:20:57 AM »
I don't think they did.  You can get a 4 pack of crossbows from GW mail order for very cheap, like a buck or two I think.

I would check out Reapers dark heaven line also, see if there isnt something you can do a headswap on.

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:53:54 PM »
I use a converted vulture figure for the marksman.  For the impaler, I plan on using two figs based on standard bases, just like the dwarven flamer is based.  I have converted a vulture crossbowman into the axe holding figure, but I am still looking for a good trigger finger.  I'll pull my guys from the garage and post them.

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:10:21 PM »
I use a converted vulture figure for the marksman. For the impaler, I plan on using two figs based on standard bases, just like the dwarven flamer is based. I have converted a vulture crossbowman into the axe holding figure, but I am still looking for a good trigger finger. I'll pull my guys from the garage and post them.
I would like to see them.  In point of fact I would like to see any and all :).

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:46:31 AM »
The Grenadier model is long OOP.  It is almost perfect for the model.  I'll post a pic when I can.  For the marksman I use the Hasslefree Dwarf "Kristian" with his mohawk and arm pointing forward.  You can attach a crossbow on his back and that'll do.  Having an extra Vulture Legion leader is and easy conversion--just lose the shield to your bits box and put a crossbow in his left hand--voila. 

Don't forget--the plastic D&D mini called the "Vrock" is perfect for the Vulture Totem.  I use'em all the time.

P.S.  there is no Vulture Crossbow leader, as they are a leaderless unit--at least in 2nd edition.  I'll have to check the 1st edition book.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:01:44 AM »
The Grenadier model is long OOP. It is almost perfect for the model. I'll post a pic when I can. For the marksman I use the Hasslefree Dwarf "Kristian" with his mohawk and arm pointing forward. You can attach a crossbow on his back and that'll do. Having an extra Vulture Legion leader is and easy conversion--just lose the shield to your bits box and put a crossbow in his left hand--voila.

Don't forget--the plastic D&D mini called the "Vrock" is perfect for the Vulture Totem. I use'em all the time.

P.S. there is no Vulture Crossbow leader, as they are a leaderless unit--at least in 2nd edition. I'll have to check the 1st edition book.
    Thanks for the ideas Josh.  I remember the vrpck form one of your previous postings and will be getting one soon.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 08:49:03 AM »
Grab two!!  Your keeper'll need one when he transforms and swoops around.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 06:59:04 PM »
I won't forget about posting my conversions.  I just have to take the time to dig them out of storage and take the pictures!
Tim

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »
I have made a Vulture Marksman and just need to finish painting him then I will post a picture or two.I also have a War Torkha and Wolf Clan Totem nearly complete to show too.

Offline DARNIZHAAN

• Castle Triskelion
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »
It only took me ten years.  Here is the impaler.  The model on the left is a converted vulture crossbowmen.  I gave him a huge kitbash to use as the bow and glued some harpoons from another mini to his back as more ammo.

The Mini on the right is another vulture crossbowman.  I swapped the sword for a 'harpoon or artillery ammo' and the bow I replaced with an axe from a heartbreaker mini pack (since fallen off).

I might modify the mini on the left to make him a trigger man to use the big crossbow in the center.  I got it from Ral Partha Europe as part of the Das Schwarze Auge 18018 2 Dwarves & Hornet Repeating Crossbow set.

Offline kvaerne

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »

Ok, take out the artillery ;D.
I used the crossbow of the dark elves of Fantasy Warriors.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »
 Two very nice additions to your collections.

It is hard to try and figure out how it should look.

Offline Horned God

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 08:23:03 AM »
I think that looks good. I got me a couple of X-bows from (i think) Warhammer and replaced the crew with vulture dwarvs. One is the older crossbow style and the other is the newer style. They work fine, and they are chronopia dwarves so its all good. Jr Boyd basically did that and I copied how he did it. Works good because you can fit them on one large base.

I'd say the picture above with the two vulture dwarves should also be placed on one large base. Honestly, how that crossbow is done is probably better than how we did it. If I were going to make it from scratch and have it part of the original game miniatures that's how I'd imagine it, much like how the Firethrower team is.

Ultimately it should fit on that same large sized base (ie a 40mm base) whatever the final result is. Use that base size as your true guide.