Author Topic: Cartel or not...  (Read 6397 times)

Halfbad

Cartel or not...
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:41:05 AM »
I have been tossing around the idea of building up a Cartel force when I get tired of my Bauhaus.

Has anyone field tested this force? Besides the apparent, what are the adv/dis of fielding this army?

If I were to do it, I was thinking about copplestone future wars minis to make most of the agents, as he sculpted alot of the cartel models anyway, they are the same scale and look. Does anyone have any other sugesstions?

Thanks again!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Cartel or not...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:11:04 AM »
I have been tossing around the idea of building up a Cartel force when I get tired of my Bauhaus.

Has anyone field tested this force? Besides the apparent, what are the adv/dis of fielding this army?

If I were to do it, I was thinking about copplestone future wars minis to make most of the agents, as he sculpted alot of the cartel models anyway, they are the same scale and look. Does anyone have any other sugesstions?

Thanks again!

Why.... I do happen to have a few opinions on this, as will Masherking.

To me, the Cartel has got a bit of flavor not available to the Corps.  Examples...

The entire shady CIA aspect of an Agent and Merc force- conducting deals or initiating punitive measures as decided by the Cartel for Warzone violations...
  The force that has the boldness to gain and maintain an Uneasy Truce between factions- sending their highly trained Peacekeepers to stand in the middle...
  A group that can strike hard and fast in taking down Cults or wayward groups that threaten the Peace (and the Status Quo)

Going with Coppplestone makes sense- he does have a number of figs to use for these armies.

Good Proxies for the units-

Agents: pistol-packing Gentlemen...  the GN1, GN2, GN6 are all good.  Some of the FW27 and 46 groups work.  Of couyrse, the FW 24 are apporpriate.

More later...
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Halfbad

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:00:20 AM »
good calls on those, I agree.

Now for weapoins swaps on those..

I have resigned to the weapon packs not being available. Hasslefree miniatures has sci fi weapon packs available, I am about to go check out void and urban war packs right now..

the force is building slowly...

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 05:25:23 AM »
Cartel is as good as any of the other forces. I personally have proxied Vor Union soldiers as Security police.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:01:16 AM »
heres a break down I wrote a while back for agents.
http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=326.msg6536#msg6536

cartel has a few but great grunt units.
In my book peace keepers are one of the best grunts. 20 AR, well armed and at a nice Point cost. They do one thing and they do it well..Shot and then Shoot again. Dam 10 rifle, with long range, combined with a good RC 10 just means alot of well place shots that hurts. Even their SA Fast shot is all about getting the shot off before the other guy does. find them to be a great basic squad. I've fielded whole army of them with great success.
a squad of 6 to 8 is a strong unit.

Mercs. I find are only good for their flame thower. Never had much luck with them. Others may feel different.

Cartel Police. now this is a neat unit. Infilitrate and a smg, very kool  combo. These guys are my sledge hammer. very good short range killers. damn good armor (spent the point in armor up grade) with their SA they can and will get in close to where their smg's shine and the high AR means they dont go down quick. Their also grunts you can have whole infilitrateing army...maddness (this something i must try one day). I've grown to really like the cops.

Snipers shine at med range or shorter...though they can their not at their best at long or extreme range. Dont get caught in a sniper deal, but neat unit to have none the less. I take 1 to 3 in most cartel list I play.

for models I use are vor union grunts for peace keepers and Union power armor for Secruity force(cops).

On a side note I havnt used doomtroopers yet so let others talk on those.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:42:56 AM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:39:31 AM »
Cartel Peace Keepers...  I can only echo Masherking on this.  THey are a very reliable grunt unit and one cannot go wrong with them.  Not at all.  I might not build an army of them... but I am tempted.  A good proxy for them is the the Vor Union troops as Steve said or the UNA troops from AT43.

A third proxy I have used has been GW Stormtroopers.  The Kasrkin are not as good as the stormies before for them but ymmv.

Security Cops...  damn fine hammer.  Infiltrating SMGs are always a good thing to have.... and a single squad can bug the hell out of an opponent.  Useful for bait as well when you wanna throw your opponent off-stride... though expensive for that job.

I use GW Scouts for them... but there is likely better out there.  Some of the Copplestone cops look good- they look like they have MP-5's...

Darkslayers....  I have a ton of success with these guys.  A squad of Shotguns is a dangerous thing on a built-up battlefield.  Yes, they can be a flamerthrower delivery system but to only use them for that is not using the squad to their potential.  GW Arbites are perfect...  though I would like to see some other fig possibilities.

Cartel Snipers.  2 wound snipers.  Good RC, decent rifle.  As an Individual, you can field 1 per squad of troops....  I have used many in armies and I find them to be well worth their points.

Medic is a medic...  but one not tied to a squad which is very nice.

Doomtroopers...  I have used the Cap and the Imperial ones and each are useful in their own right.  They all are really... but to get their best use requires a bit of thought.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 07:52:47 AM »
I would like to see what people say about Cartel weakness (if any MUHAHAHAAHA)

1. I find the lack of heavy support i.e. rocket launchers and HMG to be th biggest set back. I mean doom troopers cover some of the slack but for the most part but something for the grunts would have been nice).

Though I will say this enforcer agent gun has AV rating is good for vehicle killing.
and peace keeper rifles do kill anything.....sometimes it takes awhile :P

2. Vehicles....hell at this point a simiple troop transport would have been nice.

Halfbad

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 07:20:37 PM »
Ok,

Here is what I have come up with:

Peacekeepers x 12 with Sgt   x  2
Security Police x 8 with Sgt x 1
Bauhaus Doomtrooper team x 1
Sharpshooters with the pickles and onions x 2
Nick Michaels

Comes to 1002 points.

48 models, not too bad to paint.

I have decided to go with Pig Irion productions troopers aS the security police , see pic below. Not a bad price, got them from rattlehead games.
(their tanks and apcs are pretty decent as well, also their mech)

The Peacekeepers I will probably use the models from Copplestone, The buhaus doomtroopersare a given,and the sharpshooters I think I am going to use the Viridian sniper from Urban War.

What do yall think of the composition?

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 07:30:21 PM »
Hello.

SWEET!! Are those still in production it would be nice just to paint the buggers.

wmeredith.
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Halfbad

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:49:58 PM »
yup, go to pig iron productions. Rattlehead Games and The War Store both carry them. I have some right there, and they are very neat. The command squad is cool too.

A

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 09:26:21 PM »
Hello.

Excellent! You know cartel is looking to be the easiest force to proxy, I may have to think on it for the future in the meantime I am gathering forces muhaha! Sorry evil moment there. 8)

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:41:59 AM »
Ok,

Nick Michaels

Comes to 1002 points.

the only thing I see, and this might be my personal playing style, is having such big squads of peacekeepers. your tie'ing up a lot points and models into one squad. Unlike 40k one doesnt need to max out squad. If me, I would reduce the squad between 7-8 take the xtra men and form a third squad.
   I would rather have an xtra moving element on the table and a squad of 7-8 should handle just about anything.

One thing about snipers....I never bother with up grades. just too rare an event when there usefull and
even then it wasnt by much.

I have decided to go with Pig Irion productions troopers aS the security police , see pic below. Not a bad price, got them from rattlehead games.
(their tanks and apcs are pretty decent as well, also their mech)

The Peacekeepers I will probably use the models from Copplestone, The buhaus doomtroopersare a given,and the sharpshooters I think I am going to use the Viridian sniper from Urban War.

great choice of models  ;D

Halfbad

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 10:06:03 PM »
Cool, then it is a go, just got 6 packs of copplestone off of ebay for 40 bucks, not too bad. I am selling off the skaters and such,and keeping the rest.

Ok, more on this as it gets built, and then it gets moved to Painting and Terrain

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 07:36:09 AM »
Ok,

Nick Michaels

Comes to 1002 points.

Masherking is correct- you really might want to consider trimming the PK units down a little and going with more units.

UWZ is as mucha a game of activations as guns.  Big squads means more guns to dedicate to a target... but more squads means better ability to respond to changing battlefield conditions, more rapid exploitation of holes in the opponent lines and alot more flexibility in deployment/counter deployment.

Also means the potential for more support guns (ie: snipers) which will worry an opponent.

Going with your list above, I'd go with 3 units of seven riflemen and sergeant (8 models total in each unit), the SP's as they are, Nick, the DT team and 3 snipers.  10 activations, good firepower and the three annoyance units to give headaches (at least my snipers do).

Flexibility is soooo key in this game.....  Large units are nice for resiliance, but they are limiting, imho.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."