Author Topic: Wake of a Funeral Barge  (Read 23289 times)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
Re: Wake of a Funeral Barge
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:33:22 AM »
This is where I'm getting hung up.  If I use the picture on p.161, the scale would only hold one or two warbands at most and the others would be deployed around the perimeter of the barge.  On the other hand I could scrp that Idea and go for a bigger barge and have all the fighting take place on it.  I like both ideas and I am thinking of doing both.  

I don't see the barge as a transport vessel. It is only the "tool" a Necromancer uses to move about great distances to raise the dead. I think the barge as a whole channels the power of the Necromancer like some giant magical power focus. A thing you should think about is, the barge should invoke horror or dread at least.

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake

I could be totally wrong here....but I thought thom said the barge is huge warmachine.
At one point EE wanted to add warmachines to chronopia...blimps,  seige cannons, large troop transport and the like. If I recall, the barge was to fall into the warmachine slot and the original idea was to have it be stupid huge ( I think they had to shrink it down from the original idea).

Memory fuzzy here....but it was to float around a huge battle field and in its wake the dead would raise.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 02:09:13 PM by masherking »
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 07:16:29 PM »
This is where I'm getting hung up.  If I use the picture on p.161, the scale would only hold one or two warbands at most and the others would be deployed around the perimeter of the barge.  On the other hand I could scrp that Idea and go for a bigger barge and have all the fighting take place on it.  I like both ideas and I am thinking of doing both. 

I don't see the barge as a transport vessel. It is only the "tool" a Necromancer uses to move about great distances to raise the dead. I think the barge as a whole channels the power of the Necromancer like some giant magical power focus. A thing you should think about is, the barge should invoke horror or dread at least.

just my two cents...

Anomander Rake

I could be totally wrong here....but I thought thom said the barge is huge warmachine.
At one point EE wanted to add warmachines to chronopia...blimps,  seige cannons, large troop transport and the like. If I recall, the barge was to fall into the warmachine slot and the original idea was to have it be stupid huge ( I think they had to shrink it down from the original idea).

Memory fuzzy here....but it was to float around a huge battle field and in its wake the dead would raise.

The only thing I've had to go on was the picture from the book.  If anybody has ideas(or gets a chance to talk to Thom :)), I would appreciate any help. 
     I've been thinking this over for a while and have decided to go with the smaller warmachine version(atleast for now).  The barge will not carry any extra troops( but can be boarded?), except for 2-4 risen archers that will provide some protection from flyers, which is what I had intended originaly, until my imagination ran away with me ;D.  I see the necromancer as the weak link in this scenario and don't want to make it too easy!  I really dig the dread/horror idea ( props to anomander) and will steal it wothout a second thought, please forgive me :o.  I'm still toying with the idea of giving it(barge) a "breath weapon"(see previous post) and am thinking of calling it "breath of unlife"(still working on name), just can'y decide if this will complicate things to much. 
     I've been aquiring bits and pieces for the barge( thanks again wmeredith for the bones), and I am almost ready to stick it in the drydock.

Thanks to all that have posted, keep it coming.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 02:07:39 AM »
Hi Dogowar
 McFarlane Toys made a large Skeleton of one of the Spawn characters.GW used a one of them in their terrain pieces a few years ago and they would be a good source of parts for you to use on the Barge.

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 05:45:53 AM »
 Any updates to this scenario?

Have you got around to making the Barge yet and if so any pictures?

Offline DogOWar

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »
Hell no!!  I'm still about 500 minis behind schedule.  I have a bunch of parts for it but have not found the time.
Its not the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!

ebay "handle": irishdog143

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »
 I have posted pictures of the one I have made  ;D.

Offline Coldthunder

• Excelsior Crusader Midwest Region
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
you might try these for stats.
               CC  RC  PW  LD  AC  WD  ST  MV  AR  DEF  SZ
Barge         -    -    +1   -     -     5     -    4    22   -2/0  5
Bearers     9    8    -    10   2      1    3    2    18    +2   2

special rules
* immune to handheld missile weapons.  * cannot run. 
*necromancer gains plus one power while in contact with a barge
*barge is susceptible to fire +2 damage.
*if barge  loses over 25% of its bearers movement is reduced to 2 inches
*barge causes Horror

Equipment
bearers are armed with straight sword

I hope this was helpful I put some thought into this.  I have been think about this for quite some time now.  I'm glad somebody has thought to bring it up. the only thing that I have had trouble with is the number of bearers should go with the Barge, I have been considering two units of 8, 1unit on each side.  I considered firstborn Undead for the bearers because I have two units.  I suppose depending on what you have, the stats could change as well as the equipment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:47:59 PM by Coldthunder »
A friend will bail you out of jail --
A good friend will be sitting right next to you saying "Damn that was Fun!!"

Offline Manic _Miner

• Member Emeritus
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »
 Nice to see some stat's for the Barge.Not sure about Bearers for it though.I like the idea of it floating above the battle field.

Anyone going to give this a shot then?

Offline Coldthunder

• Excelsior Crusader Midwest Region
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
I like the idea of bearers, the idea that it works like a reversal lawn mower appeals to me.  The site of 2 units of swordsman units pulling a floating barge over bodies that rise up and follow them just appeals to me.
A friend will bail you out of jail --
A good friend will be sitting right next to you saying "Damn that was Fun!!"