Author Topic: Flame Weapons at Night  (Read 5047 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Flame Weapons at Night
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
When a flame weapon fires at night, does it illuminate the area (much like a starshell would?)  If not, would it not be a much easier "muzzle flash" to target?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
Re: Flame Weapons at Night
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »
When a flame weapon fires at night, does it illuminate the area (much like a starshell would?)  If not, would it not be a much easier "muzzle flash" to target?

As one who uses flame weapons alot, I would agree to this, as I can see it simply illuminating the AO nicely...  much to the detriment of the flamer trooper, of course.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline ezekiel

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »
yeah, its like"please shoot me!"
games workshop: the ultimate evil megacorp!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »
Actually I would have to disagree - Granted a flamer would light up the area but at the same time it would negate night vision. Troops without night vision enhancing equipment would have to reacquire their night vision and those with night vision equipment would suffer longer periods of blindness and disorted vision. There in lies the trade off - flames illuminate but illumination negates the sense needed to take advantage of it.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:37:37 PM »
So, you're saying that Starshells do the same?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 08:43:44 PM »
No starshells are basically flares - fired above the battlefield they disperse light over the area. It gives marginally better vision but actually deepens shadows and is possible to hide in.

Direct flame weapons would flare across the field of vision adjusting the settings of the eye's lens filters. A cool trick when wanting to spring an ambush is to set off a foo-gas mine. The enemy look toward it automatically and ruin their night vision making it harder for them to spot the mussle flash of the ambushers.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:45:45 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 10:08:22 PM »
maybe one of ya'll would know.

in the really real world, when a flare goes off do you drop to the ground or freeze on the spot?

If you drop then you're moving and at night the eyes pick up on movement

but

if you stand still yer probably standing in a presighted killzone.

so which is it?  (i've heard both)

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 04:12:32 AM »
It's either actually, based on what is more applicable:

When the flares go off they create shadowing.  As they descend, the shadows move.  The higher the round goes off, they less dramatic the movement.  This gives you some wiggle room based off of whether you are surrounded by conceilment (say in some bushes) or standing in an open field (I would reccomend dropping down in that case).

Incidentally, you are supposed to close your shooting eye to maintain night vision.  Which goes to the flamer issue; short flashes of light do not wash out your night vision for long.  Some, such as a strobe, don't affect it at all because it is too quick.  In either case, because your eyes have adaped to the dark they recover quickly.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
Starshells are more like road flares they're fired and land on the ground not above the area an illuminate an area 4 inches in each direction or an 8" diameter.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »
Incidentally, you are supposed to close your shooting eye to maintain night vision....

True but even veteran troopers fall for the foo-gas trick - especially if you add a flash bang or some whistler fireworks for added effect.