Author Topic: Mortar Question  (Read 9641 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Mortar Question
« on: October 20, 2006, 04:22:59 PM »
If a mortar team spotter has LOS to the target, but the mortar does not have LOS, is it, now, speculative fire?  If yes, is the spotter the de facto Forward Observer who automatically makes the communication roll?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
Re: Mortar Question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
Hello.

I have just started to read the book, but I would assum the one who see's it is the one who calls it. But then I have been known to be in error.

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »
As long as he is within Command Distance of the Tube then the team counts as having LOS.  Measure Range from the Tube and use the actual Gunner (tuber?)'s RC to figure to-hit.

If he is outside of Command Distance then the crew serviced weapon suffers the penalty for being down a crewmember and he can not act as Spotter until her returns to CD.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 12:02:38 PM »
As long as he is within Command Distance of the Tube then the team counts as having LOS.  Measure Range from the Tube and use the actual Gunner (tuber?)'s RC to figure to-hit.

If he is outside of Command Distance then the crew serviced weapon suffers the penalty for being down a crewmember and he can not act as Spotter until her returns to CD.

-PFC joe

So, if he is not a "Forward Observer," when would it, ever, be speculative fire?  When a true Forward Observer attempts the shot?

I will have to start including graphics in my questions/descriptions/answers - :)
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:21:45 PM »
He has to have the Forward Observer SA to be a Forward Observer.  Otherwise, as long as he is within Command Distance, he can still provide LOS to a target.

-PFC joe

Offline wmeredith

• Ebay sig. 9390william.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:08:16 PM »
Thanks Joe I really want to do the game right .

wmeredith
Wise men say absolute power corrupts absolutely I am not a wise man.

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 08:45:04 AM »
May I use an F.O., even if the mortar team/spotter has LOS?  I ask, because the F.O. seems to have some really good bonuses - fire first round for spot, the next two for effect at +2 and +4 RC, respectively, without that nasty -4 RC for speculative fire if first round is used to spot.  Yes, I know, he has to make the communications roll, first.

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 11:20:35 AM »
yeah, Go ahead, that's what F.O.'s are for!

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 11:47:28 AM »
If Spotter has no LOS, but Mortar and two other team members do have LOS, may they be used to trace LOS?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
yes, the spotter is the only one that doesn't have to remain in Base Contact with the weapon in order to provide LOS.
Technically, the LOS is traced from the Weapon itself, the Spotter or the F.O.  whichever can actually have eyes-on the target.

However, again, if he's outta command radius, they act as if they've lost a crew member.

-PFC joe

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:36 AM »
This brings up a question.. Can support units take either elite or grunt loadouts? ie, give the mortar team comm links, so that the spotter can move further away?

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 09:34:27 AM »
May an F.O. override Target Priority; i.e.:  he wants the Mortar to shoot something that is farther away than what is breathing down the mortar team's necks?

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 10:12:57 PM »
Nope.

If a F.O. has Tac sense ( I can't think of any off hand) then they may.
Given the way Tac Sense is played, yes you can Tac Sense over, but otherwise it's the same ol closest of the closest for Targetin Priority.

(except fer smoke)

(and Fire Missions)

-PFC joe

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 06:44:47 AM »
Just to clarify this:

A) The mortar team has a an enemy squad (A) 12" away. Off to the side, there is another enemy squad (B), that is 24" away from the mortar team. But, there is an FO with LOS and 12" away from squad (B), squad (A) being 24" from the spotter. Can the FO direct the mortar team to squad (B), the FO's target of priority?

B) If ther was another enemy squad (C) 16" from the FO, and the FO has tac sense, can he attempt to switch the mortar team to fire on enemy (C)?

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 07:00:14 AM »
where does it state that FO can direct mortars? can“t find it..
"Don“t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."