Author Topic: Southern Exposure--down the toilet.  (Read 24711 times)

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
Re: Southern Exposure--down the toilet.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 10:36:55 AM »
Well spoke.  We're archaic now.  I'm going to see if my thirteen year old nephew can get into Chronopia, but I don't see young players joining the ranks with all the other options out there. 

Of course not. There are no cheat codes for miniatures games.. You have to take your whipping like a < insert correct noun>. If you ask a video gamer what strategy is theyll say " Well in the book it says to do this." I play both miniatures and videos games and the only book I ever brought to help is one for Final Fantasy years ago.

Ill always play board, miniature and other TTGs for the human interaction and the strategy involved. My son likes it <UWZ> because all the "older" people play as well as it gives us something to do together that is NOT football related.

Alas UWZ and Chronopia dont offer a quick fix AND it requires you to read and there is no reset button and it requires social skills that are sadly lacking in our "younger" generation  ;D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 10:45:28 AM »
I think the answer to the cons thing is that they will do what we are planning to do and go grass roots. 

Frankly, the cons I went to growing up were all done by amateurs.  They would take their profits and donate them to charities.

Not having gone to any of the professional cons other than GenCon once I'm not sure how these rate.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 10:50:28 AM »
I must say that I must partly disagree..

the majority of new players is GW, but a lot go to warmaschine, for example, or others.

there is (at least here) quite a big number playing at least TT..

I think most people who play on the net would not have played (&collected&painted) TT anyway.

the persons suitible for TT are a different kind of people.. most can´t stand WoW, for example.
It is a difference in style.. not only investing time, but REALLY doing something. thats a different kind of person.

I assume actual TT losses to online games quite small (as in contrast to RPG, which is really getting out of style..)
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 10:55:04 AM »
I found the easiest way to get younger players it to stress the "fun" of the game, rather then the "You must win at all costs"

I played 40k at a store with some youngish kids just getting into it, and there was one veteran who would just paste 'em with his Blood Angels.

I on the other hand, was trying to show them that the came could be fun, and wasn't just about beating the snot out of the other guy.

Tabletop face-to-face games offer stuff that Halo 2 really doesn't.  Narative campaigns, joking across the table, and just generally relaxing and having fun without having to think about your "player rating" going down.

It's why I don't like GWs competative Campaign rules.  They take something that should be fun, but they allow the uber-competative players to run roughshod over the guys who just want to sit around and laugh about a fictional Gretchin officer.  With the exception of Blood Bowl, every other game encourages powergaming and rules bending.

If you start up a narative campaign, where losing doesn't mean you're down and out, you'll see younger players show up just because they see you having fun, and they want to have fun too.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »
Thats it.. i'm moving to Germany!  Aldrien, how far are you from Mayen/Monreal?

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »
Thats it.. i'm moving to Germany!  Aldrien, how far are you from Mayen/Monreal?

great! I can´t wait to play you!

Its only 70 km!

(-> you speek about here, right: http://www.monreal-eifel.de/home.html ?)

cu!   :) ;)
"Don´t anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »
Thats it, exactly. i know i'll be there next year (w/out minis.. sadly..) I have relatives there, so, kinda obligated to go over occasionally... though, i'm sure i can find an excuse to go play with pewter, if you have an army i can borrow...  ;)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »
great!!!

lets have a game! (even though my armys are not exactly pewter, for the majority...)

drop me a email or a PM if you really have the chance to play and we will make it happen!
(-> I will play capitiol and you can do bauhaus, for a strange mirror world-feeling.. :D)

Offline BikerBaneDave

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
Oh I agree with the comparrisons.  The trouble is, how do you market the benefits of table top gaming to the general public?  How do you get younger generations to try something that doesn't require a keyboard or TV remote?

I guess my questions are somewhat rhetorical because this subject has probably been hashed to death in another thread somewhere.  I just hope people smarter than me can figure it out and get "butts in seats" at the local conventions.  The bigger the event, the more fun I have, feeling like I'm part of something big.

Now if only the non-gaming wife would agree....?

I found the easiest way to get younger players it to stress the "fun" of the game, rather then the "You must win at all costs"

I played 40k at a store with some youngish kids just getting into it, and there was one veteran who would just paste 'em with his Blood Angels.

I on the other hand, was trying to show them that the came could be fun, and wasn't just about beating the snot out of the other guy.

Tabletop face-to-face games offer stuff that Halo 2 really doesn't.  Narative campaigns, joking across the table, and just generally relaxing and having fun without having to think about your "player rating" going down.

It's why I don't like GWs competative Campaign rules.  They take something that should be fun, but they allow the uber-competative players to run roughshod over the guys who just want to sit around and laugh about a fictional Gretchin officer.  With the exception of Blood Bowl, every other game encourages powergaming and rules bending.

If you start up a narative campaign, where losing doesn't mean you're down and out, you'll see younger players show up just because they see you having fun, and they want to have fun too.
Blades, bikes, animal fur and beer... who wouldn't want to be a Wolfbane?!

*Facepalm*  Only a Wolfbane would bring a blade to a gunfight... AND WIN!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 04:06:54 AM »
True.  The other problem is that the game does not offer much in the way of instant gratification.  If you are a miniatures person, chances are there is as much fun (if not more) in the owning and converting and painting as there is in the playing.

To counter this I think, Mongoose is going to pre-painted figs.  They are not doing they secret box hope you get what you need WizKidz formula-you will get to pick and choose what you want.  Still though, a part of me says why not just buy those Heros of Valor army sets and play with them. 

Still-I obsess over doing up my own figs where as other people probably just happy to be able to grab the figs, throw down and play.

Point is, and of all organizations, GW is actually good about pushing this, there is more to the hobby than just playing.
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »
As much as I don't support GW, they do keep people into models.  They're not entirely evil, maybe just a bit.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 10:43:46 AM »
As a young player, i am still in high school, the social interaction is why I love to play miniatures games.  It helps me with the social skills that I lack b/c of my ADD.
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »
Let me know if you want to get a game in.  We've got three players in Philly.

Offline jjdodger

• Board Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 12:18:05 PM »
3 and counting... cherry hill ist that far away! (and i'm about to get a chronopia army..)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 12:32:09 PM »
Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!   Excellent.