Author Topic: Southern Exposure--down the toilet.  (Read 24862 times)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
Southern Exposure--down the toilet.
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »
I just received word that Southern Exposure is no more.  We will have to meet at their other cons, and consider our options for gaming elsewhere.  I'm wondering what the rental fee for a single conference room at that hotel is anyway.  I think if the Double Exposure people can get 40$ out of us, why wouldn't we pay that and not have the room to ourselves?  Think of the table space.  A real tourney, where I would have to do the math......hm.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Southern Exposure--down the toilet.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40:14 AM »
Why is SE no more?
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
  • Warzone General extrodinare based in Reading, PA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:08 AM »
Why is SE no more?

Official reason? 

as posted on the Double Exposure Forum:

Sad News for South Jersey...
« on: Yesterday at 01:40:48 PM »

Folks,

It is with sadness that we at Double Exposure have decided to close our Southern Exposure convention in Cherry Hill. We will not be running it again next year.

The decision comes down to two factors:

1) We do not have the support system in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area for a regional convention. Many who used to run the predecessors of Southern Exposure disappeared, and the grass roots support of the convention disappeared with them.

2) Double Exposure's staff is stretched thin enough by having to run two major conventions a year - while three Southern Exposures fulfilled an obligation during a troubled situation, that obligation is now over, and we've decided to focus on the other events that we built.

We'd like to thank everyone who came to SEIII and who enjoyed this convention for three years; we hope to see you at future Double Exposure conventions.

>>>Vinny

Unofficial reason?  See #1.  The ones they relied on to run it/take care of getting things up an running that far south (which would be my Ex-wife and I) are no longer are part of Double Exposure for various reasons... and it is not a money-making show for them, I think.
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

- Jeffrey Sinclair and Delenn, Babylon 5: "War Without End, Part One" y

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:09:49 PM »
We will have to meet at their other cons, and consider our options for gaming elsewhere.  I'm wondering what the rental fee for a single conference room at that hotel is anyway.  I think if the Double Exposure people can get 40$ out of us, why wouldn't we pay that and not have the room to ourselves?  Think of the table space.  A real tourney, where I would have to do the math......hm.

Very doable.  Veeeeeerrrry doable.

Josh, let me know when you wanna plot this one out.  I said I'd help you plan it out before and I stand bymy statement. :)

Renting space at a hotel is not a difficult thing.  The difficult thing is price.

http://www.scanticonvalleyforge.com/

Down the road (hour) from me and roughly 40 from you and the Philly crowd.  Gettysburg Room looks like the size we'd need for Warzone and Chrono.

THe other is Sheraton Park Ridge
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/meetings/index.html?propertyID=97505

The Independance rooms seem to suit our needs too.

Or we can always hold something near the Airport for those out-of-towners...  What do you guys think?
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Why do your people always ask if someone is ready, just before you do something massively unwise?"
"Tradition."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
Either one will work for me. I work in that area so I could help set up any arrangements that need taken care of. The Sheraton has a nice spotrs bar as well  ;D
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
Just let us know with enough warning so we can plan for whatever you want to run. I'am sure we can all help in one way or another to pull it off.
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:57:06 PM »
John, you know you can count on me for help.  Let me know.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 04:09:59 AM »
Again, let me know what sort of terrain VeezCon(tm) can supply and we will do so (along with the requisite paperwork).
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Archer

• Board Member
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 04:51:38 AM »
@dmcgee1:  Yep, I know.  And now Josh does too.

@veez:  Ha!  Most assuredly... though the next order might require a technician to com along (yes that means taking a trip, Marine. ;) )
John "Archer" Tinney

"Ready?"
"Tradition."

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:56:19 AM »
so ends an era.

years ago shorecon was one the best cons to go to. A great 3 - 4 years to be a gamer.
Sad how it ended up.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 05:13:50 AM »
Shorecon was awesome back in the day.  The one year, they had Battlebots, gamer celebrities, Gwar was demoing their mini's game.  The dealler room was HUGE! Like, an entire ballroom huge! While I understand WHY Double Exposure is killing it off, and all the **** that went down that killed off Shorecon, DE should really have tried to build back those bridges, and make it a major con again, since it was pretty much the Gencon of the east coast.
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

pceretti

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 06:05:21 AM »
Depending on how far of a drive you wanted to make, you might want to look at holding a tournament at Fat Cats Comics and Games in Downingtown http://www.fatcatcomics.biz/.  I'm sure the cost per player would be pretty low and they have a pretty big sized gaming area.  Plus there's already terrain at the store.

Pete

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 07:05:50 AM »
When I stop hacking up phlegm resembling something from the Dark Legion I'll get to work on laying down some plans, makin' the phone calls, consulting Archer and everyone here, and trying to find a space that works equally inconvenient to everyone!  Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I think our fires were stoked from the last con, as it was nice to get together.  Having our own space and event would be even more fun.  I'm thinking beer and food too. 

Pete, nice to have you aboard.  Looking forward to more Chronopia and the Pirates game too. 

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline gwingfan

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 07:22:08 AM »
I might be able to go if it were in the area( philly, valley forge, montgomery county, and bucks County)
I am a dark lord of the sith, fear me!!
Homebase: Ambler, PA (near philly); Currently at the University of Central Florida in the Orlando, FL area

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 09:56:41 AM »
Would be nice to plan a 2-day miniatures event about the time that SE used to be to break up the long period of time between Cons.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69