Author Topic: Am I the only one the Applauds?  (Read 17435 times)

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
Am I the only one the Applauds?
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:44:08 AM »
Am I the only that Applauds a good comment (frequently)?  Very rarely, I will use the Smite, but only if it is, truly, deserved.  If it makes me a Karma-whore to ask, so be it.  I try to Applaud any decent comment in the hopes of driving dialogue, but, my Karma has not moved in a year.  (I know - Let the Smiting begin!)  I know that I am asking for it, but, seriously, isn't it there to show acceptance and approval, thereby encouraging positive discussion and growth of the community?
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline Dragon62

• Member Emeritus
Re: Am I the only one the Applauds?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »
I personally have never used it but here's my 1st for your posted apology under New Consept. You deserve a Karma point for that. Thanks Phil
Define Irony-A bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Homebase-New Jersey
Ebay-Dragondrake69

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »
well.... what does it mean?

for some reasons I got a -3!?

a pity, perhaps, but I donīt feel bad about myself, which wonīt change because some smiting... so wereīs the point?

if, however, someone complains to me and tells me of a mistake, I am willing to think about.

some anonymouse (and imho cowardly) smiting is really an uninteresting feedback.

=> I like phrased out critic and donīt care for smiting
(I would say its counterproductive, also, because it is a very unreliable characterisation of a person.. in addition, it stays forever, even if the "fair reason" to apply it is long forgotten..)

cheers
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 07:59:30 AM by Aldrien »
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 08:06:47 AM »
I honestly had forgotten about it. Ive used it a couple of times during discussions both positive and negative in the past. I feel its only cowardly to use it if you dont voice your displeasure in a comment or discussion first. But IMO its a good paoint to look at a persons karma before jumping into a discussion with them. If they have alot of negatives I wont chime in. Thats just my two cents.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline Veez

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »
Cowardly attacks are the best kind!
(that's gonna cost me some Karma!)
VeezCon products:  Not as good as if they had been actually produced by a real figure company, but better than using your shoe to proxy with...sort of!

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 08:43:23 AM »
I feel its only cowardly to use it if you dont voice your displeasure in a comment or discussion first.
well.. if I would critic someone and there is a constuctive discussion, I would not smite him.. that would be the optimum..

but honestly: all the -X points I see here and there: was there really a conversation beforehand? I have (up to now) -3 and there was only one "arguing", and even that was quite educated..

You may only smite after a decent communication attempt, but that does not seem to be the general case..

=> I donīt like this forum-feature.

cheers

P.S. in my "main" forum, they disabled the posting-counter to prevent "elite-thinking..."
"Donīt anticipate outcome. Await the unfolding of events. Remain in the moment."

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:48:10 AM »
I have smitten, in the past, and will do so again, if I feel it necessary.  But, like everyone else, here, seems to feel, I would not do it without explanation.  Unfortunately, it is not removable, and I am guilty of one of Aldrien's smites, and I believe that he remebers the thread.

Once again, let me take this opportunity for having a quick trigger finger, Aldrien.  Since I've seen more of your posts, I've come to realize that you are insightful and have the best of intents.  I will strive to be more undersstanding, rather than critical, of your posts, in the future.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline PhillySniper

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:56:51 AM »
I think we all should, before smitying someone take a step back. I know that alot of the "heated" debates have actually occured because of a language barrier. Many of our participants dont speak english as a first language, which leads to <sometimes> unclear statements. Even those of us who do speak english cant seem to get our points across clearly all the time. Thats why I recommend at least stating your objections/disagreements before laying the smack down.
Shoot First and ask questions later.

Homebase- Philadelphia
Ebay name. Phillychocolatem

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »
Well said, Bryon.

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:45:21 AM »
In a number of posts I've stated I'd hit the karma button, always favorably.  I think a post saying what you're doing (and why) before giving the smite would be equally good.  I don't even have a user name; it keeps me from writing anything that I wouldn't say to someone's face. 

So Dave, I'm going to hit the good karma on ya' because your participation in the tourney last month, and keeping our community alive.  I'm also going to hit the smite, so it doesn't all go to your head, and you can feel a Zen-like balance today. 

Cheers.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 11:08:29 AM »
Nice - I appreciate the grounding, buddy.  ;)

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »
I'm actually going to hit the applaud button now.  You've been grounded long enough.
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 01:00:45 PM »
Awwww! Group Hug!  :D

Remember kids, it's not the size of your Karma, it's how you swing it ... err or something. ;)

Offline Dr. Nick

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
I give +1 to veez, because he has -5  :o

he seems to be a nice guy and he paints/converts well!

an example and motivation, not at least through the painting reports!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:05:27 PM by Aldrien »

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
I use them but not as much as I used to
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890