Author Topic: looking for BH crenshaw tactics  (Read 14141 times)

Offline Pietia

Re: looking for BH crenshaw tactics
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 09:39:38 AM »
You may always fail the LD roll and it may the scatter to an empty area... Or Crenshaw and all other potential spotters may die or be otherwise occupied...
But personally I still hope that Prime will come here and say "Cleansing Flame is really required, and since it does not exist, you can't use this FM". Why? Simple - IMO this FM is way too powerful, especially when you take into account the number of channellers in BH and the fact that they're worth taking even without this FM.

Offline monte_kev

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 10:27:38 AM »
again never used a FM so just checking.
lets say I just was using crenshaw to pull off this FM. is this correct?

spend 1 action to place chit figuring the 3 requirments for FM is followed

next turn

spend 1 action to place chit #1 as long as he has los to target

3rd turn

declare judgement, make LD check and the FM either hits with resid 8 DAM or deviates.

I am guessing declaring is one action.
so to make the FM happen with crenshaw only this would be the correct steps?
Kevin
Avid Drag racer + TTGamer
currently running
Bauhaus and Brotherhood
www.miniartofwar.com

Offline Pietia

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 11:02:02 AM »
No, you have to call down the fire mission in the next turn, so its only 1st and 2nd turn. In turn 1 Crenshaw (or other channelling officer) declares the FM, people, that can add chits - do so (valkyries are sooo great for this, as you have at least 5 channellers activated in a single activation - so you don't give your enemy too much time to evac the beaten zone and add at least 5 chits). On the 2nd turn you pray for winning initiative, activate Crenshaw and bring down the judgement on everybody stupid enough to still be near the marker.
So:
Turn #1
activation #n: crenshaw declares FM
enemy activation #n: somebody flees the area
activation #n+1: 5 valkyries add chits, each one for one action
enemy activation #n+1: somebody flees the area
Turn #2
pray, pray again, roll for initiative, win
activation #1: crenshaw brings down the Judgement, enemy troops stupid enough not to flee die

It is best to put the FM marker near already activated units, so that they can't flee. 

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 12:05:50 AM »
the going first matters hugely, otherwise all those actiosn were wasted and you may have put your troops in danger to place the chits/not done something else useful. I think the risk makes it fair. I've only used it a few times, and it's not as awesome as it sounds. But it CAN be :)

Offline Pietia

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 12:09:44 AM »
Going first does is really necessary. What IS necessary is placing the FM smartly. You have to threaten more than one enemy unit with the FM, so that even if you lose Ini, somebody is going to die. Crenshaw is perfect for this, as he may appear almost wherever he wishes.

E.g. put the FM marker between your enemy's Assault Marines and Orcas, and watch him suffer :-) Who is loved the least by daddy?  ;D

Offline kwegibu

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 07:19:33 AM »
that is assumming there are two units that close together and within 16 inches  ( i  think thats the distance). That chance doesn't often come up in my games, if it did, it'd be an obvious time to use CF.

Offline monte_kev

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 07:37:46 AM »
the good thing is the FM doesn't cost anything and crenshaw seems to be a badarse so I think I will be running him and just looking for that perfect opp. to use the FM.

thanks guys I think I am sold on him.
Kevin
Avid Drag racer + TTGamer
currently running
Bauhaus and Brotherhood
www.miniartofwar.com

Offline Pietia

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 10:53:12 AM »
that is assumming there are two units that close together and within 16 inches  ( i  think thats the distance). That chance doesn't often come up in my games, if it did, it'd be an obvious time to use CF.
Well, it depends on the size of game and table... In (standard tournament game in Warsaw) 1200 pts game, and table size equal to half of the table-tennis table, there's enough such opportunities.
Quote from: kwegibu
I think the risk makes it fair
The risk is greater in Corp's FMs, which are less powerful...

Offline Gallagher_Standard_Barer

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 10:56:53 AM »
In my personal Warzone experiance FM almost never come up.  My group typically plays 500, 750, or 1000 point games, and I've only once seen an army qualify for FM.  I know from personal experiance its almost impossible to get 6 squads, 3 individuals, a force commander and at least one forward observer.  In my group only our capital player has pulled it off, and then his spotter got killed before he could call down the thunder.  Furthermore,  as an Imperial player I'm burdened by having only one forward observer on my army list, and that one is limit one per army, so no extra chits for me.  Are you playing much larger games for FM to come into play, or are you building your armies specifically around meeting the FM criteria?

Offline Pietia

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »
1200 points is enough to meet FM criteria for Dark Legion (my main army so far) without any special effort, and for Brotherhood (although in this case you've to work on getting an army that'll work effectively). With a lot of effort you can also meet this requirement in most corporations - but it is not worth it in their case. In Legion and BH, however, the FMs are relatively easy to use and really devastating.

Offline Enker

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 03:28:14 AM »
One Question.
You are only allowed to call one Fire Mission each turn regardless of how many FO you have, am I right?
The other FO may only add their chips.
My comrade thinks that you are allowed to call one fire mission per FO each turn.
That would make a really nasty Big Bang esp. with Brotherhood.
10 Cleansing Flames per round, arrgh. Please say that he is wrong.
Marines! Lets kick some A S S!

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
Per page 58, section 10.3 "Fire Missions"

"Only one Fire Mission may be attempted per turn"

SP
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
FAQ Entry for current subject:

Page 57: Forward Observers

Q: The Brotherhood and Dark Legion don’t appear to have any forward observers. How do they call down fire missions?

A: The Brotherhood and the Dark Legion for that matter share a commonality when it comes to fire missions and forward observers. In review, it is not obvious and I apologize for that. The answer thankfully is rather simple and is merely a clarification to what you have.

Let's start with the Brotherhood. Cleansing Flame isn't a "art power" in the sense that others are (ie-back of the section). Since wielding the art takes a great amount of mental acumen and personal power, the Brotherhood uses channelers to function as Forward Observers. Thus any channeler may function as a Forward Observer and every FO knows how to call forth the "Cleansing Flame" when using the Judgment of the Cardinal Power. It is this very perspicacity that allows them to function well as Forward Observers, by nature a skill requiring a great attention to detail.

When making the LD test to place the marker, the Brotherhood refers to it as "Cleansing Flame" and it is an LD test like any other FO action. As mentalism is often used to describe art, it should not be confused with powers from the Mentalism List. It is not treated as a specific power is. Consider it a general function of Brotherhood Channelers. This same system applies to the Cardinal's Fist Smart Bomb.

Much like the Brotherhood fire missions, the Dark Legion relies on innate power over specifically trained troops with equipment. A Nepharite is considered a Forward Observer in any DL army. For one action, he may target any spot within 16" and LOS. This painted spot will become the focus of the particular fire mission represented by the Apostle. Any Division Commander or Nepharite may then call down the mission subsequently.

Obviously, the Cults and Horde do not have Fire Mission options.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!