Author Topic: What ever happened to that Empires game?  (Read 20305 times)

Offline Skull King

What ever happened to that Empires game?
« on: September 27, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »
Since this site has surfaced, I've dug up, not only some of my old Chronopia books, but also an issue of the EE magazine (back when it was Target games).  I forget the name of the mag, but you all know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, in the beginning of issue 2 theres' an add for a small (I think 15mm) scale game called Empires, which appeared to be more of a Chronopia spin off than anything else.  There were a bunch of cool minis, including some awesome blackblood Myrmadons (I think that's what they were).  Anyway, I was just wondering if anything had actually materialized for that, and if plans were in motion for reinvigorating that as well?  Also, were any figures released for it? Thanks for any info you guys can give me.  I think I'm going to stop by my local game store and see what kind of Chronopia stuff they have left.  I know they have a big box full of Warzone figs.  Thanks everyone!   ;)

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
Re: What ever happened to that Empires game?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:22:58 PM »
From what I remember, the Empires setting never got past the alpha build stage with some prelim mockups and artwork.  When Target imploded the core rules build actually ended up on Ebay at one point.  AFAIK the properties were returned to EE and as of yet haven't been touched. 

There were no mini's produced.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coki

• Chronopia World

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 02:50:28 PM »
Is Coki a nonenglish word that means The Amazing Answer Machine?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:52:28 PM by Topkick »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline Skull King

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
http://www.kerlin.de/chronopia/articles_006.php

;)

Coki

Wow Coki that site it intense!  Great Job!   I'd love to see some of those little Myrmadons (sp?) up close, they rock.  Is there a bigger version of that long Empires picture on your site?  I hope that someone at Excelcior will be able to shed some light on the fate of Empires, although dealing with Chronopia and warzone is alot of work itself.   ;)

Offline Southpaw

• Board Member
  • The Board
  • I see lead people.
    • Topkick's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »
I spoke with Thom about Empires, and last I heard it was still on the list to be made, but it wouldn't be for some time. Now whether that has changed or not, I don't know.

I do hope Empire does finally see the light of day. I was royally pumped when the articles starting coming out, especially since the original boxed set was to have been Blackbloods and Devout. With large Blackblood Myrmadons, Howdahs, and ranks of Trolls....Devout War Barges...and more Soulflayers than you can shake a stick at....

If a playtest/design group ever opens up for Empires...sign me up!
Webmaster/Manager
Topkick's Trading Post

The one truth of the Dark Lord is this: death is inevitable, flesh decays, and power commands...

From The Scrolls of the Dead
Negral Zar'akin

Offline Morfdoggs

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 05:41:02 PM »

There were no mini's produced.

-PFC joe
Well a friend of mine sent me some devout swordsmen and some firstborn swordsmen from Empires he had found in an Iraq pawn shop or some junk shop. So If there wasn't any minis produced what are the ones I have? I know a few other people that have some as well, they got them from our old game shop at a demo for chronopia. So are these abnormalitys or what?? ???
Happiness is like peeing yourself, everyone can see it but only u can feel its warmth!

Offline PFC joe

• Private First Class
  • Private First Class
  • assistance from a distance
    • PFC joe's After Action Reviews
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:28:41 PM »
huh...

i'd always heard that the line died before it went to production.  mayhaps it just never made it to the American market.  Strange though.  I'd love to see some shots of these, as of yet all I've seen are the promo ones which I always considered to be mockups.

-PFC joe
Qui desiderat pacem pręparet bellum

Offline Coil

• Board Member- First Crusader
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 11:05:36 PM »
It never made it to the market anywhere Joe. I know some people have had actual minis and I have seen pics of them. My guess is that those are preliminary versions that perhaps some playtesters got access to.

Offline Coki

• Chronopia World
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 01:49:47 AM »
Wow Coki that site it intense!  Great Job!   I'd love to see some of those little Myrmadons (sp?) up close, they rock.  Is there a bigger version of that long Empires picture on your site?  I hope that someone at Excelcior will be able to shed some light on the fate of Empires, although dealing with Chronopia and warzone is alot of work itself.   ;)

More pictures to Empire:
http://www.chronopia-deutschland.de/images/news/galerie/asmith/c_as_1033.jpg
http://www.chronopia-deutschland.de/shop_produkte4.php

Coki

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 07:56:50 AM »
Just printed that picture on a color laser printer at the office.  'Turned out nicely.  Thanks Coki!
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Skull King

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 09:27:07 AM »
More pictures to Empire:
http://www.chronopia-deutschland.de/images/news/galerie/asmith/c_as_1033.jpg
http://www.chronopia-deutschland.de/shop_produkte4.php

Coki

Wow!  Thanks for the bigger version of this pick and the link!   It's crazy to think that people have been finding stray Empire minatures around, when the game never even came out.  I'd love to try and get my hands on some of those little myrmadons!! ;)

The design of the warmachines, and creature howdahs and what not, are so great in Empires, I hope that EE will continue to use these great designs along with new ones, in all their future products.  Although I consider myself a focused Dwarf player in Chronopia, I have to say that the Blackbloods, in Empires, are definately getting alot of my attention.  I'm sure the Dwarves will have some crazy stuff as well, can you imagine a REALLY BIG Blood Totem!!   :o   

Offline joshuaslater

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Homebase: Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
I wonder how much interest there is in this 10mm scale game.  Mongoose has Mighty Armies out now in this scale but I've never played it.  One appeal of this scale is how inexpensive it is to collect an army! 
May the Dark Lords of Lead-Free Pewter smile kindly upon you.

Homebase: Philadelphia, PA

Offline Skull King

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 11:08:42 AM »
Well, the way I see it, most of these companies still charge a bunch for the small minis.  I have to say the variety of the Demonworld line really impresses me, they have some cool stuff that really works for that scale, but it's fairly pricey.  I think they should focus more on BIGGER units, like war beasts and war machines, and less on the rank and file troops, thes would be more of a hassle to keep track of gamewise, and ultimately really hard to paint.  It could almost be as if there were the same amount of troops as Chronopia, just a smaller scale.  So instead of 4 dwarven fighters in a squad, you'd have 4 blood totems, or warmachines.  Thats just my personal thought, I'm sure they had a pretty good idea of what they were doing when they came up with it the first time.   :-X