Author Topic: Origins 2007  (Read 30142 times)

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Former Crusader Coordinator - Midwest Region
Re: Origins 2007
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 05:32:09 PM »
I have had a request or two for event guidelines for Origins. From what I have seen the Origins crew dooesn't have too many regs so I will tell you what I hope to see from everyone who runs in our area.

1) Events should last for at least 2 hours. Four is the standard but two works for smaller skirmish games.
2) Figs should be painted. I'm not talking museum quality but the standard primed and 3 colors would be ideal.
3) Terrain should on the table - again preferably painted. We usually use green felt as a cover.
4) Play test the event - the more the better. Nothing kills an event faster than being caught flat-footed.
5) Have a working knowledge of the rules.
6) Have fun.

We traditionally share everything from terrain to figs to running each others events if the need arises. Be prepared to have a great time and make some great friends. The only hardcore rule I have is that no grudges from fourms carry into Origins. Everyone is welcome to stop by, chat and play. If you have had problems in the past come by and let's talk them out. Our family is too small to stand on issues from the past.

Below is the Event Presentation Format that we used to standardize the events submitted. It is more or less straight from the format Thom used in the Crusader book and the UWZ scenario section. You don't have to use this format but it would help me as I will have to format all submitted events into this format for the "Origins Brain Book"

Event Title and Time: Title of Event for Pre-reg Book and Requested Start Time (no promises but I will try to fill requests)

Allotted Time: # of hours    

# Players:  Max # of players you want to run   

Set Up: Short description of the board   

Deployment: explaination of deployment areas

Special Rules: any nonstandard rules that you might be using for the scenario

VC: Victory conditions for scenario

VP: Method of calculating victory points and any nonstandard point method you might be using

Scenario Synopsis: Short summary of scenario storyline.

Any questions can be directed to me via PM. I am hopoing to have all the events in hand by Thanksgiving so that I can organize them and get them in ASAP in December.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Homebase:  South Central Wisconsin
E-Bay Handle: Topkick-890

Offline dmcgee1

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
  • Ask away!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2006, 04:25:25 AM »
I am 90% sure that I will be there, Top, as the wife has, actually, expressed interest (I know, I am amazed, too!).  Let me get together with the group to decide what and when we'll runa t the con.

I will keep in touch.
If sing, sang, and sung, sink, sank, and sunk, and drink, drank, and drunk, how is it that it isn't bring, brang, and brung, think, thank and thunk, and ding, dang, and dung?

Don't even get me started about bad, badder and baddest.  Run, ran AND run...again?  C'mon!

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
  • THE ALLATLOH of ROCK n' ROLLA
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2006, 04:58:58 AM »
I am 90% sure that I will be there, Top, as the wife has, actually, expressed interest (I know, I am amazed, too!).  Let me get together with the group to decide what and when we'll runa t the con.

I will keep in touch.

Me and Jibba are tossing around the idea of going...See if Iron panda wants to go too.
Goddamn! its good to be the MasherKing.
home: New Jersey
E-bay: Johny_wonderful

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2006, 07:13:18 AM »
As long as the hotel is within drunk stumbling distance of the airport, all is well. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2006, 07:21:30 AM »
As long as the hotel is within drunk stumbling distance of the airport, all is well. :)

this could be a factor.

Jibba I was thinking of looking into seeing if taking train would work.

between me and you theres going to a ton of metal going though those scanners and it woudl total suck if 500.00 of well painted lead gets lost and end up in Guam
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:08:52 AM by masherking »

Halfbad

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 11:21:31 AM »
I have to come in from Maine, and the train is the way to go. It might not be cheaper, but with all the hobby crap I am bringing, it will be worth not having to hassle with it.

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
I may have to look into the train although our group usually drives. If I recall the train station is down town about 4 blocks from a hotel I stayed at years ago. We generally stay at the Ramada Inn out by the airport and near the greatest Italian restaurant in the world. It is about 6 miles from the COn site. Look into sharing the cost of the drive like we do vs the cost of flying and shipping your stuff as well as the train.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss (1904 - 1991)

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »
I may have to look into the train although our group usually drives. If I recall the train station is down town about 4 blocks from a hotel I stayed at years ago. We generally stay at the Ramada Inn out by the airport and near the greatest Italian restaurant in the world. It is about 6 miles from the COn site. Look into sharing the cost of the drive like we do vs the cost of flying and shipping your stuff as well as the train.

6 miles from con site.....how would you travel to hotel at night to the con site in the morning of you take the train

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
Rent a car, take the bus, call for a shuttle van

I will probably drive but I think I might look into shipping our stuff by bus or train and then we would only need one car.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »
Rent a car, take the bus, call for a shuttle van

I will probably drive but I think I might look into shipping our stuff by bus or train and then we would only need one car.

try to get a hold of Stalker once he's back from his training...maybe you could ship it to his house...

B...
eBay name: sylvas1970

Offline Topkick

• Board Member
  • Administrator
  • Member Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 02:30:52 PM »
Thought about it and may do that. I do not want to impose however.

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

the airport isn't walking distance on a good day, that and you'd have to walk through a lousy neighborhood...there are a lot of good hotels right within 3 blocks of the Conv Center, but you'd probably have to rent a car or get someone to pick you up from the airport...

@Halfbad...the train station is about 6 blocks form the site, if I remember right...you could probably get a good flight there also because Columbus isn't a real popular destination, so fares are usually low...

B...

Offline Sylvas

• Midwest Crusader
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2006, 02:33:52 PM »
Thought about it and may do that. I do not want to impose however.

worst that you could do is ask...depending on who's all coming from up here, you might be able to ship it here and we could take it down there for you, but I'd ahve to find out if some of the guys up here with big SUVs are going...

B...
don't think that all your stuff would fit in my VW Golf...

Offline masherking

• Member Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 07:16:16 AM »
why not take the train, then cab, cab to Hotel thats 3 blocks for the con site....unless all the near by hotels are booked. I'm kinda lean to this plan myself.

Offline Jibbajabbawocky

• Member Emeritus
  • Your Benevolent Dictator
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »
Once we come up with I plan, I can give one of the hotels a call and try and reserve a room sometime in the next few weeks.  Hopefully It's not all booked up already. :)
"You were engineered with such potential, Serpentor. But you lack the most important DNA of all... Mine!"
Homebase: Northern New Jersey
Ebay: Mokodoba